NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just picked up the TVS system from J.C., great guy. The suspension is awesome, you feel total control over the car, however you will need tires to match or exceed the performance of the suspension

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hotchkins seems like more of a street kit. Dampeners are not adjustable even though they are more than any other adjustable coil-over out there. I've yet to have heard a good explanation why they aren't adjustable.

Is this car going to be competitive?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I don't know about it being a street kit. Remember, with performance tires, the Hotchkis TVS allowed a fully stock Celica (full interior, etc.) to perform comparably to a Porsche and Ferrari in the 600 ft. slalom test. This does not even mention how well it compared to high performance vehicles in other categories of testing.

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/frames/toyota_celica/testing_results.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm thinking about making my car show and go. I want to beable to put it in car shows and still be able to do SCCA. I had a 2001 Corolla until about two weeks ago, Now I've got a 2000 Celica GT. I have no idea where to begin with performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For SCCA or NASA, check and see what classes you plan on running in before putting any full suspension on your car. You will be limited to classes by the modifications you do or do not have on your car. If you're not careful, you can modify your car right out of the most popular and accessible classes available to your vehicle.

As for street/track, I am sure the Hotchkis is an excellent overall setup. The testing shows this. However, I'm unaware of how much adjustment can be done with the kit. In fact, as serious as Hotchkis seems, I am sure they have (or will have) a fully adjustable setup. For serious track use does not necessarily imply performance alone. Serious track use implies a very high level of adjustment in nearly every component of the suspension. It would have to be altered depending on the track and the conditions at the time for the specific attributes the driver prefers. This applies to autox as well.

The numbers in the article are very impressive for a Celica... a stock Celica... especially a stock Celica with a suspension kit in that price range. Remember that pulling over 1G is not necessarily a big feat for any competitive track car with suspension and tires to match. It's quite common actually. Pulling over 1G on a car that you can then drive home is outstanding. The Hotchkis Celica and what that streetable suspension has achieved is the real feat.

btw- Anyone know what brand and size tires the Hotchkis Celica was using for the testing?

·
Registered
113 Posts
ilya said:
btw- Anyone know what brand and size tires the Hotchkis Celica was using for the testing?
I think he was running 225/40R17 Yokohama Advan 048's if I remember correctly... of course this was a while ago and I'm going off memory.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
*Looking at SCC aug 02 issue*

"Hotchkis uses exotic goods: Japanese-spec 225/45R-17 Yokohama A048 tires and Advan Model 6 wheels."

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanx for all the great testimonials guys... I'm proud say that we were recently visited from our Toyota brothers from Japan.. Including one of the lead designers and engineers... With some interpitations we were surprised to hear that they wanted to see where all the fuss was coming from the states about a suspension company taking the Celica to the next level.. While giving the tour of our facilities, we proudly showed off our newest Celica... Surprised they were not... More like going into a shock like state.. With a reported (and yet to be DYNO'd) 300+ hp it was the topic of conversation at lunch... To answer some questions about our kit..> Reason for non adjustable dampening.. Well first of all, the reality is that most people don't know what the adjustment factor really means... So it was a no brainer.. Make it a bit more agressive, non adjustable and utilize hundreds of hours of testing to make the most compatable strut and shock package to go with our T.V.S. system.. Fully adjustable front and rear camber make track days and other events very competitive.. And the 600' slalom was ran at 75.2 mph... And yes we are SCC's current record holder..

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
ILYA:

You mention the great feat being that the Hotchkis Celica is streetable. Is that really true? Going by what is posted on the Hotchkis website, I thought they said NOT to run their full race setup on a daily driven street car. Isn't it the full race setup that we are talking about? Maybe I am just imagining reading that, or maybe it was just the overall tone of what was on their website that has me confused?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts