NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was curious, how bright can fog lights be? I just got my TRD front installed and bought some 40 dollar fogs (Hella Optilux) off of Ebay to go into the fog light holes of the TRD mech front. They're only 55watts like the stock fogs but they seem awfully bright. I was just driving around about an hour ago and these things illuminate signs really far as if my high beams are on, basically was lighting stuff up that my normal fogs didn't. I even got some angry looks from drivers who were in front of me.

Here's an example, I took pics of them on. Just need some opinions, if they're seriously too bright or okay for driving?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Mine would illuminate farther than headlights, as far as signs if aimed correctly they shouldn't be hitting them or oncoming drivers too much

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Yeah I'm gonna try to fix the angle tomorrow. Im not sure if it makes a difference but the lights I got are " driving lamps " dont know if it makes any difference from actual fog kits.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
yea that just means they're white and dont do jack in the fog except look pretty

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
yea that just means they're white and dont do jack in the fog except look pretty
No. Driving lights are based off highbeams. The beam goes like so =, just like a highbeam. Actual fog lights go like so <.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
interesante. I guess if you get a good set not a walmart one

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, damn didn't realize there was a difference in the angle outputs. No wonder I have such a small angle.

redline46s3, what makes the angles different between the two? Is it the bulb itself? or the lense?

Here's a pic of my fog light beam pattern.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
^^^ Damn, fogs in the TRD bumper make for a pretty mean night face ...

TRD-CELICA-GT02, did your Celica come with factory foglights or did you wire these yourself? I bought some driving lights (exactly the same as the ones featured in the Install section) but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet ...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ They're not factory. I bought some 40 dollar ones off Ebay. I basically removed my stock OEM fogs, cut the harness off and bought some of those bullet clips. I crimped them onto the fogs I bought and also added a male bullet clip end to the existing fog harness. Then just plugged them in. I had to fabricate a small bracket to screw onto the aftermarket fog bracket and to the bumper.

I have no wiring experience and it was pretty simple. Just a bit work to make the brackets and all that other junk. I also had yellow overlays done by Blue Batmobile, hence the yellow color.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
TRD-CELICA-GT02 said:
redline46s3, what makes the angles different between the two? Is it the bulb itself? or the lense?
Neither. It is determined by the angle,placement, and size of the reflectors found in the rear bowl. You can't change it to have wider foreground. The only thing the lense controls is the sharpness of the cutoff line, which is mainly found in projector based lights. You'd have to buy new lights if you wanted more foreground coverage.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Oh okay, I'm not trippen much then. It's mostly for looks from my view and it seems pretty bright enough, hopefully angling them down will fix the whole bright illumination problem.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
TRD-CELICA-GT02 said:
^ They're not factory. I bought some 40 dollar ones off Ebay. I basically removed my stock OEM fogs, cut the harness off and bought some of those bullet clips. I crimped them onto the fogs I bought and also added a male bullet clip end to the existing fog harness. Then just plugged them in. I had to fabricate a small bracket to screw onto the aftermarket fog bracket and to the bumper.

I have no wiring experience and it was pretty simple. Just a bit work to make the brackets and all that other junk. I also had yellow overlays done by Blue Batmobile, hence the yellow color.
If you gotten the stock fog light, they have cut off line just like your low beam..
Your fog light probably work like the high beam.. low and high area....
Also 55w is pretty bright for fog light...
If you use them on the stock fog or even TRD fog light it won't light up the above half...
Fog light are design to light up the bottom area of the road instead of lighting up the higher front area.. since if you have your headlight on at fog, you can't see much in front... cause of lights are reflecting off the fogs...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
you think that's bright? you should see mine...it's a pair of 40 bux wal-mart foglight housing with japanese release piaa extreme white...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have the same problem. I have piaa 510 driving lights on mine and they are soo bright. People would flash there lights like crazy at me. For some reason they stopped working though. I thought i had them wired correctly according to the directions but i guess not. So right now they dont work and id really like them to. anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Exactly. I mean it was my first night out yesterday since the install and people were literally driving out of the way all hysterically. I noticed the yellow illumination everywhere and knew it was the fog lights. I got uncomfortable with it so I just turned the fogs off until I can somewhat resolve the issue. I'd work on them later as the weather cools.

ragingpaseo said:
you think that's bright? you should see mine...it's a pair of 40 bux wal-mart foglight housing with japanese release piaa extreme white...
I can imagine how much brighter those are. :chuckles:

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Fog light isn't consider to driving light...
It used when there is fog...
You don't want flood light(like highbeam) when you have fog....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts