NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed some LED's under my doors (kinda like puddle lights) and they look great:

the only problem is that they wont turn off unless i unhook the positive wire. i used a fuse tap to hook up the positive side to the dome light fuse behind the cig lighter and i hooked the negative side to a screw on the metal bar near the fusebox. it doesnt make sense why it shouldnt work... not to me at least.

am i missing something? did i go wrong somewhere?

p.s. i dont want a switch for these lights. i want them to be automatic just like the dome light.

:confused:

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
ill be interested to see what 2way has to say about this one

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is because the positive (+) is constant, and ground (-) is on/off depending on your door is open or closed. So pretty much, hook positive (+) to battery/power and negative (-) to the one on the interior light.
a lil late there, buddy. but thanks anyway. i just didnt know that the door popper was ground. i thought it was positive... like a switch of some sort. but i got it fixed now and they work perfectly :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
can you post a pic of the leds not on in light like i want to do that exact thing i just wondering on how to mount wireing not a problem just mounting is issue

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can you post a pic of the leds not on in light like i want to do that exact thing i just wondering on how to mount wireing not a problem just mounting is issue
i have this pic:

if wiring isnt an issue for you, then this should be a piece of cake. i used flat top 5mm LED's so they are completely flush with the door panel. i used 5mm LED holders from radioshack and i drilled 1/4" holes in the door panel. i made a template so each door is lined up perfectly and i just transfered it to the the other panel once i was done with the first one. As for the inside of the panel, there was a piece of foam behind the door pocket that i had to remove in order to make room for the wiring. I wired up the LED's in series so i did all of that in my room and made it so once im done and i have the holes on the panel, i could just pop them in place. pretty easy stuff if you know what youre doing. i dont have pix of behind the panel tho, sry. i might be able to take some soon tho if i end up taking my door panels off for paint :)

i know i typed alot, but idk if any of that helped at all lol. did that kinda answer ur question?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
damn, it looks really good! kinda wish i could make one that backlights the 'celica' logo on the plastic by the door. saw one in a lexus, and thought it would look cool with some blue leds

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
damn, it looks really good! kinda wish i could make one that backlights the 'celica' logo on the plastic by the door. saw one in a lexus, and thought it would look cool with some blue leds
u mean the door sill? they sell those with the blue backlight. idk how much they cost but those would be pretty kool.

·
Registered
727 Posts
yea how much did the holders cost?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.