NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took off my wheel and that plastic cover. (visibility is still sh!t) i can see the crank pulley and there's a pulley to the right of it, below the alternator. is that what i loosen? i've never taken off a belt before, but i know i'm supposed to loosen the tensioner. is that one it? :confused: help me!!!

-aaron

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
You'll need a long socket wrench or breaker bar (or a pipe to stick over either to extend the leverage). You want to look in from the top, down at the belt system and at the belt tensioner. On the side of the tensioner, there's a hex shape, but it's not a bolt. It's actually part of the tensioner's arm, and that's the spot you want to turn with the wrench/breaker. You want to pull towards the front of the car to reduce the tension. Then while you're doing that, use your other hand (or get someone else) to slip the belt off the alternator pulley, and the belt's off. Then just install the new belt on the same way.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k now i feel dumb. where exactly is the tensioner, i'm lookin at too damn many pulleys id on't know which one is it

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
It's on the left side of the engine. You'll see a black and siliver cylinder, which is part of the tensioner. The hex part is right below that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There isn't some tension that the belt is supposed to be set to? I'm used to the whole 944 timing belt tension thing that has to be checked so carefully. It's probably apples vs. oranges since this is the accessory belt.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
No, the tensioner just uses something like a strut to push against the belt. All you need to do is release the tension (pull towards the front of the car), slip the belt off, slip a new one on, and let the tensioner return to normal. The tensioner needs no adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts