NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got anything they can tell me here. Any of you got a set of Teins SSP's and a friend with KSports or something? I am just wondering if I should get the KSports in the GB going on right now for $850 or just spend the money and get the Teins? I already got screwed out of going cheap once but that was for some TRD's and I feel like KSports might be better quality. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
273 Posts
A couple ppl on the GB had some good things to say about it but I am also curious. Considering how one of the cheapest quality setups (the ss-p) are like 50% more then these. I know that Tein is a name brand but 400$ more for a name is a big difference. I too and worried about the quality of the setup when compared to some of the big names in the category.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
They might be good! They do look good :) In my case, I've just choosen to go the "safe" path and went with tein ss-p. I was tempted to save quite a bunch of money tho. 400$ for the name but Tein's name is known for a reason you know ... But the fact that really made me not purchase those is the spring rate. The front is stiifer than the rear with this setup and I am pretty sure this is not good with my current setup of sways/strut bars and tires. I am trying to kill understeer as much as I can. Slight oversteer at the limit would be perfect. I am hoping to achieve it with my current ST rear bar, front strut tower bar, BFG KDW II plus my newer spring rates, camber/chock adjustments provided by my teins. I might go with a rear strut bar as well to compensate the front one, I think it would help the balance ...

I've read some comments on this one but would like to hear some more experiences, especially from the autocross / road racing guys .. They look like a good deal for coilovers with pillowballs!! Almost too good to be true!!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I don't know exactly how much better they are (if they are) then tein, but here is a website that desribes it a little more.
http://www.ultrarev.com/Ksport_Kont...er_System_Toyota_Celica_2000_2004-p31350.html

here is the main website:

http://www.ksportusa.com/

I just got off the phone with Ksportusa and the information I got was pretty encouraging. The percentage of the coilovers being returned is less then 5 percent and most of it is due the the person installing them incorrectly causing them to leak. They do come with the front upper pillow mounts, but for the rear, you do have to use the stock top mount. I was told that if you're using mostly for daily driving they shoud last for well over 4-5 yrs. They have a rally celica that Ksport races and they have had these shocks on for two years of extensive driving and no issues. The shocks are rebuildable, but the price for new ones are pretty much the same. For a rear replacement is it about 95+ shipping, and 118+ shipping for the front. I hope that this helps you guys out. I was questioning these myself because it seemed too good to be true, but when I called Ksportusa they answered all of my questons and had great customer service. If you have further questions, I say call them directly and I gurantee you won't be disappointed........480-829-8100 that is all

P.S. not saying that the tein SS-Ps are bad, but these sound really good. thanks

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
One more thing

Faq:
Here are some frequently asked questions about our products:

General Questions:

Why do only some of your coilover applications come with pillowball mounts?

Vehicles use 2 types of struts, McPherson and non McPherson struts. With a vehicle that comes with a McPherson strut the coilover actually moves with the steering of the vehicle. Therefore the aftermarket "pillowball mount" will be available, allowing the strut to rotate and adjust camber. The pillowball mounts cannot be installed on a vehicle without McPherson struts.
Is there any warranty on my product?

All Ksport products come with a 1 year warranty. Proof of purchase is required for any authorized Ksport Dealer.
Is there a spec available for the free length of the spring?

The springs are adjustable by 120mm.
What is the camber adjustment range for the coilovers?

+1"~-3.5"
What is spring rate

Basically, Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring a certain . Springs are rated in LB/in (in metric system kg/mm), or specifically, how many pounds of weight are required to depress the spring by one inch. To convert LB/in to kg/mm international, you must divide figure by 56.
I think that spring rate is too soft or too stiff.

Ksport spring rate are all set in relation to the shock. They cant be compared to other brands as their shocks are designed different. Springs are available as individual pieces if a stiffer or softer ride is needed.
I purchased Ksport from another country will you still warranty or repair it?

We will not warranty Ksport that is either a reproduction or imported into another country other than the United States. We have strict guidelines for safety that we must follow as other countries may not. Ksport logo and design is protected via US copyright and patent law. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. Any importation into the US is in violation of US federal laws and will be subject to prosecution.

Technical Questions:

How do I adjust height on my coilovers?

Most of our coilover systems include an adjustable lower mount that can spin up or down on the shock casing. Spin the lower mount up to lower and down to raise. Than it must be secured by locks on either side of the lower mount. On some applications the use of allen bolts to tighten the lower mount are used instead of locking perches.
Cant I adjust height by adjusting the spring perches?

Yes you can adjust height by changing spring tension, by adjusting the spring perch up or down, but we DO NOT recommend it on most applications. In systems designed with lower adjustable mounts the spring perch should not be used for height adjustment.
Should I "preload" the spring for any reason than?

Spring tension can be changed for different handling qualities of each corner, or "fine tuning" the setup. Recommended setting is to hand tighten the spring perch as far as you can with the rubber spring seats fully seated. From there adjustments can be made. We recommend no more than 3 full turns in either direction of the spring perch from this point.
How do I adjust dampening?

Each application is valved to work with the spring rate provided but they can be tuned to be over or under dampened by adjusting the top knob to either H (hard) or S (soft). The adjustment knob can be left in or removed after adjustment is made.
How do I tighten the spring perch once everything is at my desired setting?

We include 2 wrenches in every kit for a reason. The spring perch and spring perch lock must both be turned in opposite directions at the same time, do not just tighten the spring perch lock until it touches the spring perch, it has a different effect. Tighten the same way for the lower mount, with the top lock and lower cup in opposing directions at the same time.
Do I have to remove the coilovers to adjust height every time?

It is possible to adjust the coilover height without removing them but we do not recommend it. It is very difficult to get the required force to lock the perch and mount in place while on the vehicle and parts may loosen during driving.
How do I know if I mounted the coilovers the correct way in the front with camber plate?

The front camber plate must be able to move in a horizontal position, some coilovers may be mounted in several positions but the camber plate must be correct to avoid noises and improper camber.
For additional questions please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thank you for considering Ksport USA.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
someone did a review a while back about the k-sports, search it.

i remember main jist was it looked nice, but their design could have been better. They are apparently manufactured in china along with megan coilovers and d2 coilovers. They are cheap and nice for the price. Cons were you cant lower too much, the sway bar link sucks, and you have to mount your breaklines and the other one along the wheel well

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
basically the advantages the ksport has over the tein is its:
-monotube
-height adjustment is separate from spring perch.
both very good qualities that tein ss doesnt have.

its a good design, get whatever you can afford.

·
Registered
273 Posts
originally i was looking to get the Illuminas and s-tech or ground controls. it would have run me between 6-700$ plus the DIY parts, spring compresser, one of those guaged torque wrenches to meet factory specs, etc, etc. i wanted to ss-p but didnt want to spend so much money. I ordered the Hotchkis sway bars but they were on backorder for over a month so I'm getting the money back.

Off topic quick question about the sway bars. I know just haveing a rear one will promote oversteer, but does it put unwanted strain on the front stock bar? I had bought the set but might just get the ST rear instead if its "safe" for the car.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
jackel3415 said:
originally i was looking to get the Illuminas and s-tech or ground controls. it would have run me between 6-700$ plus the DIY parts, spring compresser, one of those guaged torque wrenches to meet factory specs, etc, etc. i wanted to ss-p but didnt want to spend so much money. I ordered the Hotchkis sway bars but they were on backorder for over a month so I'm getting the money back.

Off topic quick question about the sway bars. I know just haveing a rear one will promote oversteer, but does it put unwanted strain on the front stock bar? I had bought the set but might just get the ST rear instead if its "safe" for the car.
I dont know how "safe" it is but I am running the rear only (ST) like other people on this board. I think it is just fine. Also, the balance of your car will depend on a lot of other factors (brand of tires, other suspension/weight saving mods, tire pressure ...). My car used to oversteer at the limit with toyo t1-s and now understeer with the same setup but with KDW II. The car is now more neutral (and faster in curve I would believe) but on the boring understeer side :/ So, a big rear sway bar is not instant oversteer. I think a front one would have helped the car be more neutral with my t1-s (but w/ understeer). W/ KDW, I am convinced it would hurt.

Our stock rear one is really small OEM so it gets way stiffer with after markets ones (from 17 mm to 25.4 mm w/ hotchkis comp/ST). The front one is already at 22 mm stock, so 25.4 mm isnt a that big difference for the front bar. It also has 2 settings (hotchkis) and I am pretty sure the stiffer at 70% is useless no matter setup you have. Purely speculation tho :) The 43% stiffer setup might be good for some setups. It is a pain to install too ... so it is alos a pain to remove it if you dont like it ...

Since you have the hotchkis setup, I'd start by installing the hotchkis rear one and see how it goes if I were you. Than, you can choose to use the front one or not ... ;) I think front camber adjustment and shock adjustments would be nice to if you want to be able to tune up front if it gets too stiff and you get too much understeer after installation ..

Happy tuning!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
itchyvi3t said:
someone did a review a while back about the k-sports, search it.

i remember main jist was it looked nice, but their design could have been better. They are apparently manufactured in china along with megan coilovers and d2 coilovers. They are cheap and nice for the price. Cons were you cant lower too much, the sway bar link sucks, and you have to mount your breaklines and the other one along the wheel well
Yikes, I don't like the idea of having to do this.

sheizen said:
basically the advantages the ksport has over the tein is its:
-monotube
-height adjustment is separate from spring perch.
both very good qualities that tein ss doesnt have.

its a good design, get whatever you can afford.
Might be good aside from what I posted above. I prefer some things to stay as stock as they can get.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Why people say monotube is better? durability, performance, both or other reasons? It is not worth starting a new thread I guess ..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the sway bars. as it turns out the day i called to cancle the order they tell me its already in the mail. sure enough UPS guy pulls up. only the box seems a little small to say the least. long story short they f'd up the item numbers and sent me lowering springs. monday Fed-Ex is picking it up and wed-thursday i'll have the sway bars.
I am def going to install the rear first and drive a bit, I'm in South Florida where it rains non-stop for days this time of year. So I'll be careful not to push anything to hard. currently I have a stock setup with 18's and a 40% profile tire.
Is installing the front really as big a pain as they say it is? dropping the cradle and stuff? is there any other way to do it without going through all that?

·
Registered
243 Posts
woah nice review, justa question i been asking around everybody but yea.
i have the d2 coilovers and i herd they pratically the same as k-sport. anyway my rear is already on max low but there still seems to be a 2 finger gap, is that normal i herd some of the other members have that problem as we..
and my front is really stiff like when i push down on the car it dosent move much but my rear is soft and bouncy. it was on soft now i chucked it on hard its abit harder but still can bounce.

just wondering if these things are normal.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
vyets said:
woah nice review, justa question i been asking around everybody but yea.
i have the d2 coilovers and i herd they pratically the same as k-sport. anyway my rear is already on max low but there still seems to be a 2 finger gap, is that normal i herd some of the other members have that problem as we..
and my front is really stiff like when i push down on the car it dosent move much but my rear is soft and bouncy. it was on soft now i chucked it on hard its abit harder but still can bounce.

just wondering if these things are normal.
HOw did you lower the rears? SPring perch or bottom bracket?

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry to bring up an old topic but i lowered it by the spring perch i thought the rear can only be adjusted by the spring perch is it not?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Are you buying another set of coilovers? Before you shell out any more cash, I'd read this.

Cliff's Notes: As evidenced by their performance on a shock dyno, most shocks are crap. The settings do nothing or change things in unpredictable ways and it's almost impossible to get it right straight out of the box. Some specific recommendations are made on which brand shocks actually perform well / reliably, and even the best of the best are problematic.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts