NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had trd springs in my car for about 10 months now. The ride is stiff and sometimes harsh when i drive on un-even surface. but how would i know if my shocks were worn? is there a specific feel to worn shocks when driving? thanks.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
when the car bounces alot. like if your driving on the freeway and you drive over a dip and the car keeps going up and down a couple times. if you hit that same dip and the suspension compresses and rebounds up once then the shocks are still god.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There is one easy, general test for any vehicle to see if the shocks are worn.

Go to a corner of your car, push down on it to get it bouncing a bit then, stop.
See how long it takes for it to stop bouncing and come to a dead stop.
Do this on all four corners.

Good shocks should stop the bouncing almost imediatly within one bouncing cycle or less.
If any corner keeps bouncing for more the say, three cycles, it is a good indicator that shock might need replacing.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
also, if you hit a bump and it sounds as if the strut is going to come out of the freaking car, that is sometimes a sign that the strut is blown b/c its lost all of its absorbing ability......

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
my car was really starting to feel loose at 60K miles with the stock shocks/struts. I just did the energy suspension hyper-flex kit, and it really made a huge difference, much better. The shocks still pass the test mentioned above, but it was still feeling sloppy.

Get the hyperflex kit, it'll definitely help, and if you don't already have a rear 3pt strut bar get one of those as well.

Oh yeah, the install on the lower control arms suck pretty bad, but it's worth it, I didn't even attempt the rack and pinion since the engine cradle has to be dropped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts