NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone bought my stock exhaust and I need to ship it out ASAP. How the hell do I ship this thing? It's not like aftermarket exhausts where it can be broken down into two parts.

My real question is ... where do I buy a box big enough for this? I tried FedEx, but they didn't have anything. And I doubt the USPS has anything either. It's about 37" x 42" x 13" ...

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks like your going to have to cut multiple boxes and tape them together to make one big one. Thats how I shipped a big bumper, just use alot of good packing tape.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Find some freight companies. They might have boxes and charge you a lot for shipping. Did you try a moving place like U-Haul or Public Storage?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reyzin said:
Did you try a moving place like U-Haul or Public Storage?
Nope. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

ice33 said:
Looks like your going to have to cut multiple boxes and tape them together to make one big one. Thats how I shipped a big bumper, just use alot of good packing tape.
Hmm, sounds pretty ghetto but it may be the only way. But if I do that, the "box" probably won't have any real rigidity to it, since it will be a bunch of pieces taped together.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will wrapping the exhaust with cardboard and taping it real good do the trick? It'll be hard trying to find a big flat box as opposed to a big cube box.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think he meant was to use like 2 or 3 boxes like so (pardon the crappy "graphics")
_ _ _
|_ + _ + _|

Hopefully you get the idea.

*Edit: post deleted more than one space in a row. Anyway, those 3 dashes are like the tops of the boxes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You should be able to get 2 identical boxes and just cut the flaps off them and tape them together end to end, put the exhaust inside that and wrap with plenty of bubble wrap or packing peanuts and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
jst07 said:
You should be able to get 2 identical boxes and just cut the flaps off them and tape them together end to end, put the exhaust inside that and wrap with plenty of bubble wrap or packing peanuts and you'll be fine.
That's what I was trying to explain with my "diagram". ;) I think that's the best bet to ship that. Only other option would be to cut the two pipes on the can and ship them that way. Buyer would have to weld when received.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Just wrap it with 2 layers of bubble wrap. Plain and simple.

FedEx and UPS will be able to ship those sizes but I doubt USPS will.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
You put it on a ship. :chuckles:

Try taping cardboard around it also.. Especially on the tip to keep it from getting dinged.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
if you ship through greyhounds GPX program, its even cheaper than DHL. And greyhound will take the most ghetto of your box fabrications and ship them for you. They've never given me any complaints, and I shipped my topshop inserts back to tony in a box made out of castrol syntec boxes duct taped together....lol

it runs a little slower than standard freight companies, but you cant beat it for the price if you have a somewhat patient buyer. I shipped two bumpers back to cali from NC last summer for i think 119.00 plus tax.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts