NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The only times I've seen a Celica roll would be if it hit something while sliding sideways or someone fighting the car when going off track. If you hit something like a curb when sliding sideways the car will pivot about htat point. Once teh CG of the car goes over the pivot point it will land either on its side or continue rolling depending on the speed and harshness (how much energy/momentum is absorbed) of the impact.

So I guess to answer your question, it would be impossible because with a stock celica it would run out of suspension travel before it had enough weight transfer to compleatly unload one end of the car and continue to corner even harder until the CG was above the the loaded wheels.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A lot of times, people roll a car by:

1. Going into a turn too fast, the front tires loses grip (understeer).
2. They instintively turn the wheel more which doesn't really help the car turn but it will slow down and suddenly the wheel regains grip, but turn already turned too far so the car snaps onto that direction.
3. The driver quickly try to correct the change of direction by over turning the wheel to the opposite side and the car rolls over.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol one person says it is impossible w/o hitting something, and another says you just have to take a turn really fast and turn the wheel wrong

i was wondering if it was possible or not, cuz i've taken a sharp right turn at 50mph and the front tires kinda did this weird skid thing and almost refused to turn and i almost collided head-on with a sign in the middle of a small median and my car just BARELY turned quickly enough to avoid it

if someone were to be going, say 90mph on a wide open perfectly flat surface, and made a really sharp turn of the wheel, what would happen?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Darkside
i've taken a sharp right turn at 50mph and the front tires kinda did this weird skid thing and almost refused to turn and i almost collided head-on with a sign in the middle of a small median and my car just BARELY turned quickly enough to avoid it
That's called understeer. ;)
if someone were to be going, say 90mph on a wide open perfectly flat surface, and made a really sharp turn of the wheel, what would happen?
I'd say understeer, followed by a loss of control and the car would start to slide sideways in the direction the wheel was turned.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
ehh if you thought yo uwere going to roll the car at 50mph on a turn like that, come to an autocross. People loose control at speeds around that and they dont roll their cars (unless it is a SUV).

The snapping of the wheel will most likley lead to fishtailing or a compleate spin. It will scrub off alot of speed as well. I seriosuly doubt it would roll the car.

And like what BB said you were understeering. For the 90mph one you would need alot of grip (ie in softer dirt and allowing the wheels to dig in and fight the car).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
to roll the car
Too fast.

Assuming no contact with another object (curb, soft dirt, etc), and no mechanical failure (tire ripping off the rim, etc), I would ay that it's virtually impossible to roll a celica.

Scott

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by autxr
Assuming no contact with another object (curb, soft dirt, etc), and no mechanical failure (tire ripping off the rim, etc), I would ay that it's virtually impossible to roll a celica.
:werd:
The Celica got the highest score for rollover resistance in its class. And in just about every class, the only cars that got 5 stars were convertibles (lowest center of gravity possible). :thumbup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Darkside said:

Try it out and let us know how it goes :thumbup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have had my car reach hit understeer at 65 mph and there was no roll. All it did was slide. I would say you could on a 3 lane highway at 90mph if you cut the wheel across all three lanes at the right moment. You would have to really try your arse off to get it to flip.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
To answer your question the Celica will not roll unless you hit something like stated above.

I took an exit ramp at 85 mph and the rear end came out. I had the car almost completely sideways while counter steering the whole time. I skid about 50 feet with smoking tires until coming to a stop right on the edge of the road. I thought my heart was going to stop! All 4 tires were severely flat spotted and had to be replaced. At the time I only had lowering springs and front and rear strut braces so I would say a stock Celica would do the same.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I agree with everyone else. However, I will throw out that I have purchased two rolled celicas (but I'm sure they hit something/went in a ditch, etc.)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I spun out going 80 and hit a curb going about that speed (this was when I first got my car and was a bit overzealous.) My tire was wrecked, so was a wheel, and my alignment was way off and still is kinda messed up (it always pulls a bit to the right, it seems) but in the end I dont think I even came close to rolling

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
With your stock tires you are more likely to spin than roll (unless you go off into gravel sideways, or something wierd)

john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts