NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was accelerating at about 7k when my rpms stopped to increase drastically (kindda like a cutoff) and I heard a weird noise (explosion of the oil pump??). Oil pressure light came on and I stopped the car about 1-2 km after ..

Here's the result, after only 1 week with the crank pulley, my oil pump exploded and damaged the engine. Metal parts of the oil pump went into the engine. Basically what happened to Illusive but w/ engine damages. Even if I stopped the engine after about 1 km after the oil pressure light came on.

The engine was running fine before and I never had any trouble with it before. The oil level was almost full and it was changed about 2500 miles ago. I'm kindda manic with the maintenance ya know.

It's pretty hard to say it's not caused by the pulley here. Yes, our oil pump seems week. But anyways, stock oil pump + crank pulley seem to have some chances to cause engine damage ..

Fortunately, I got it all replaced under warranty!! (and I have my car back now)

If you guys have more questions, go ahead, I am unfortunatly among the people who had problems with crank pulleys now.

It's weird how some people can run with it w/o any problem tho!! I guess all motors are different .. thus do not have the same balance .. same thing goes for the pulleys ..

However, the HP gains from the pulley seemed great IMO .. just not as reliable as I would have hoped in my case ..

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
danGTS said:
I was accelerating at about 7k when my rpms stopped to increase drastically (kindda like a cutoff) and I heard a weird noise (explosion of the oil pump??). Oil pressure light came on and I stopped the car about 1-2 km after ..

Here's the result, after only 1 week with the crank pulley, my oil pump exploded and damaged the engine. Metal parts of the oil pump went into the engine. Basically what happened to Illusive but w/ engine damages. Even if I stopped the engine after about 1 km after the oil pressure light came on.

The engine was running fine before and I never had any trouble with it before. The oil level was almost full and it was changed about 2500 miles ago. I'm kindda manic with the maintenance ya know.

It's pretty hard to say it's not caused by the pulley here. Yes, our oil pump seems week. But anyways, stock oil pump + crank pulley seem to have some chances to cause engine damage ..

Fortunately, I got it all replaced under warranty!! (and I have my car back now)

If you guys have more questions, go ahead, I am unfortunatly among the people who had problems with crank pulleys now.

It's weird how some people can run with it w/o any problem tho!! I guess all motors are different .. thus do not have the same balance .. same thing goes for the pulleys ..

However, the HP gains from the pulley seemed great IMO .. just not as reliable as I would have hoped in my case ..
Sorry to hear it bro :( Was that the UR pulley or the Johnny GTS pulley? Who installed it?

Hows the car running after the rebuild? Hopefully the techs up in Canada are good with the 2ZZ.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Crank pulley sucks, that was the main reason when my engine was ****ed :ugh: I did not see any improvements with the pulley as well.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: How I got my engine replaced ... (pulley)

Boosted2.0 said:
Sorry to hear it bro :( Was that the UR pulley or the Johnny GTS pulley? Who installed it?

Hows the car running after the rebuild? Hopefully the techs up in Canada are good with the 2ZZ.
It was Johnny's pulley. Of course, I talked to him recently .. It happens I'm the first with the problem with his pulley. I did the install myself. Everything was installed tight and I followed Johnny's write up. I lube the seal with engine oil. I can't really figure out what I would have done incorrectly .. The car seems to run fine now honestly. Hopefully, things will remain the same as I brake in the engine. The guy who did it changes in average 1 engine a week. He was doing a 1zz in a gt the week before. And he has another gts planned soon (I know that cause they gave me the engine they ordered for him since my car wasn't running while his was still running ..). Service was pretty fast!! They started within a week. And, They worked about 4 days on the car while opening the tranny at the same time .. They needed to change the whole block, the oil pump, the sprockets and timing chain also btw ..

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IllicaCelica said:
May I ask how you got this done under warrantee?
Of course ..My car was stock when it happened, wasn't it?? :confused: ;)

I even put back the stock intake (with the help of Johnny over the cell phone ..). Funny thing is that the dealer tried to sell me a TRD intake after asking me if I had an intake .. :gap:

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
That sucks. It seems like engines that have weak/failing oil pumps toss 'em pretty quick with a crank pulley on. Knock on wood, 20,000+ miles with my UR pulleys and no problems.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jesse IL said:
That sucks. It seems like engines that have weak/failing oil pumps toss 'em pretty quick with a crank pulley on. Knock on wood, 20,000+ miles with my UR pulleys and no problems.
Yep, hopefully yours wont explodes!! Things are looking good on your side. But you have a new aftermarket oil pump now, right? Damn 20,000+ miles!! I had less than 500 miles with it (including 2 track days tho).

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How I got my engine replaced ... (pulley)

danGTS said:
The guy who did it changes in average 1 engine a week. He was doing a 1zz in a gt the week before. And he has another gts planned soon (I know that cause they gave me the engine they ordered for him since my car wasn't running while his was still running ..).
Engines get blown whether you have pullies or not. I have probably 35k on my pullies now.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Re: Re: How I got my engine replaced ... (pulley)

nyoneway said:
Engines get blown whether you have pullies or not. I have probably 35k on my pullies now.
I agree .. but even thought the tech changes 1 engine a week (not all celicas but some are ..), it's the first time he found an exploded oil pump was the cause of engine failure ..

In my case, in only 1 week of delay, it happened .. it must be related somewhere .. The engine was running fine before and maintenance was done properly ..

But ya, looks like not all gts react the same w/ the pulleys .. I wish my gts would have worked w/ the pulley like yours ..

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How I got my engine replaced ... (pulley)

nyoneway said:
Oh come on bro - how much proof do you need before you accept that these pulleys can and will take out oil pumps and bearings????

I mean - its obviously not 100% gauranteed - but enough people have had a uncharacteristic failure of the exact same kind shortly after pulley install - it seems pretty dang obvious to me.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How I got my engine replaced ... (pulley)

Boosted2.0 said:
Oh come on bro - how much proof do you need before you accept that these pukkeys can and will take out oil pumps and bearings????

I mean - its obviously not 100% gauranteed - but enough people have had a uncharacteristic failure of the exact same kind shortly after pulley install - it seems pretty dang obvious to me.
Hey it works for me, that's all I gotta say. Maybe I'm just lucky, or that breaking in the car/engine the HARD way from day one is the way to go. Even if my engine blows up tomorrow, I'm fine with wit since it have over 100k of hard driven miles and with nothing but oil change.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by nyoneway
Maybe I'm just lucky
Thats probably more likely ;)

think about who kills their engine from the oil pump exploding.

1) people who misshift
2) people who have a crank pulley

how many people have posted about blowing the oil pump that did not fit in one of those 2 categories?

dunno. this risk is why I dont use one :gap:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I know when I got my engines balanced, I was told the crankshaft was within 2 grams of being balanced, very close according to the shop. The pistons were a total out of 2.5 grams, which I'm told is good for stock. But then the connecting rods were way out at max 8.5 difference total weight and a max of 9.2 grams on end weights. Also the stock pulley was out by 5 grams which was really odd considereing it had little drill holes in it from factory wich would suggest it was balanced. I didn't get the stock flywheel done as I have a fidanza flywheel, I got the fidanza balanced and it checked out perfect.

I'm told (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it) that a car'a ablilty to handle a undampaned pulley is based on how balance the engine is. I'm told that if the engine is balanced good that you won't have a problem. I don't know if that is true or not though.

On my 2 engine's it was the connecting rods that had the engine out of balance. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
00silverGTS6spd said:
Thats probably more likely ;)

think about who kills their engine from the oil pump exploding.

1) people who misshift
2) people who have a crank pulley

how many people have posted about blowing the oil pump that did not fit in one of those 2 categories?

dunno. this risk is why I dont use one :gap:
I blew my oil pump without either of those. I've never run a pulley (I ordered one and it never came) and I don't know if I will or not. Some scary experiances out there.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
WAR said:
I know when I got my engines balanced, I was told the crankshaft was within 2 grams of being balanced, very close according to the shop. The pistons were a total out of 2.5 grams, which I'm told is good for stock. But then the connecting rods were way out at max 8.5 difference total weight and a max of 9.2 grams on end weights. Also the stock pulley was out by 5 grams which was really odd considereing it had little drill holes in it from factory wich would suggest it was balanced. I didn't get the stock flywheel done as I have a fidanza flywheel, I got the fidanza balanced and it checked out perfect.

I'm told (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it) that a car'a ablilty to handle a undampaned pulley is based on how balance the engine is. I'm told that if the engine is balanced good that you won't have a problem. I don't know if that is true or not though.

On my 2 engine's it was the connecting rods that had the engine out of balance. Food for thought.
Could be the stock flywheel? Mine is TRD. I think most people who blew oil pump with pullies have stock flywheel?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
WAR said:

Actually its the crankshaft that is the problem. Its not a ballance issue (alhough imbalance may make things worse) its more related to the metallurgy of the crank and how much it twists and flexes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts