NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think very few of us really want to spend 5000 for a turbo kit...at least not right now...do u guys think XS will realize their kit may be a little pricey for the average Celica owner...my first impression of such a kit is that is was a bit too expensive compared to other kits on the market...Although it comes with a lot more than the average kit, a first impression can and probably would turn us away from it. Whats yur opinions?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Lilsupra said:
I think very few of us really want to spend 5000 for a turbo kit...at least not right now...do u guys think XS will realize their kit may be a little pricey for the average Celica owner...my first impression of such a kit is that is was a bit too expensive compared to other kits on the market...Although it comes with a lot more than the average kit, a first impression can and probably would turn us away from it. Whats yur opinions?
Take the Power FC out of the picture and it's within reason of the other kit comming out.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yeah, I think that $5,000 is a bargin considering all the stuff that comes with the kit. I am going to wait untill the end of the summer to see if anyone experiences any problems with the kit. If they don't, I am definately going to get the kit and put it on my car next winter..

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Re: Re: How long do u guys think till the XS kit retails for less..

Jersey Jay said:
Take the Power FC out of the picture and it's within reason of the other kit comming out.
Good point, Jay. Lilsupra, you have to consider that even a completely un-tuned Power FC is an $800+ ECU (A tuned Power FC like the one that comes with the kit would cost even more). What inexpensive bolt-on kit comes with a standalone ECU like this, coupled with XS's tuning experience (Eric used to be one of the head guys at Apexi USA)? Also, the components that come with this kit are high-quality (ball-bearing turbo, huge 24"x11" intercooler usually reserved for 600+ HP Skylines, Apexi Twin Chamber BOV, high quality injectors, fuel pump, etc.). Again, what inexpensive turbo kit comes with components that can match this for a cheaper price? In the end, it all comes down to getting what you pay for. Keep in mind, there is a less-expensive alternative (Turbo Performance's kit). But don't expect it to be nearly as comprehensive.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How long do u guys think till the XS kit retails for less..

Keyshawn said:

Good point, Jay. Lilsupra, you have to consider that even a completely un-tuned Power FC is an $800+ ECU (A tuned Power FC like the one that comes with the kit would cost even more). What inexpensive bolt-on kit comes with a standalone ECU like this, coupled with XS's tuning experience (Eric used to be one of the head guys at Apexi USA)? Also, the components that come with this kit are high-quality (ceramic ball-bearing turbo, huge 24"x11" intercooler usually reserved for 600+ HP Skylines, Apexi Twin Chamber BOV, high quality injectors, fuel pump, etc.). Again, what inexpensive turbo kit comes with components that can match this for a cheaper price? In the end, it all comes down to getting what you pay for. Keep in mind, there is a less-expensive alternative (Turbo Performance's kit). But don't expect it to be nearly as comprehensive.
Turbo Performance POS are they still around? Great price for the XS kit besides all the hours on the dyno it takes to dial the car in. CoolMIke and myself can tell you about dyno time and how much cash that costs.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How long do u guys think till the XS kit retails for less..

Jersey Jay said:
...CoolMIke and myself can tell you about dyno time and how much cash that costs.
Yeah, I know all about that, too. XS did a kick-ass job tuning my ride. Actually, XS is offering extremely hard-to-beat prices right now for install and dyno-tuning of their kit.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
The ceramic BB turbo itself cost $1700
The PowerFC cost $1200
The Intercooler cost $1200

Just those 3 items, you add up to $4100 already.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
nyoneway said:
The ceramic BB turbo itself cost $1700
The PowerFC cost $1200
The Intercooler cost $1200

Just those 3 items, you add up to $4100 already.
:werd: Turbos are not for everyone.........(OT).and if you freeking have to ask how to replace an airfilter and thats the least of your worries........do yourself and us a favor and forget getting a turbo............(Theres one thing I hate is people that get their cars turboed 'by someone else' and dont know jack Sh1t about it)

Plz people do your research.........5k for this hit is a steal IMHO.

Slava

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
MicaCeli said:

:werd: Turbos are not for everyone.........(OT).and if you freeking have to ask how to replace an airfilter and thats the least of your worries........do yourself and us a favor and forget getting a turbo............(Theres one thing I hate is people that get their cars turboed 'by someone else' and dont know jack Sh1t about it)

Plz people do your research.........5k for this hit is a steal IMHO.

Slava
Who did that?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
nyoneway said:

hhahhaha sounds like you!

jk bud.. :wave:
Hehe, never claimed to be an expert, however, I'd say I have at least an above average understanding of cars. Don't hate the playa, nyoneway, hate the game.;)

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
My beef is with the Ricers that have no Idea whats under their hood and get F/I .......if you know how your Turbo is set up and what components were used....were cool :gap:......

I have no prob with someone else doing the work for me.........Hell if the manufacturer came up to me and said "hey let me put that in fer you" I wouldn't even think twice about it.......I have built my own kits though (honda's) and its very much satisfying......although time consuming :D

And thats all I have to say about that :D

My previous post was not a flame although it might seem like it. Its just friendly advice........If you have to ask stupid questions like "Will my blinkers work after I get a turbo?" you might want to read up abit on how turbos work and educate yourself........Becouse I have seen WAY to many blown engines from people that have no Idea what FI is :D

Slava

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
vatik said:
just think about it this way, you will be able to keep up with cars like the Z and the rx8, and they sell for a bit more than 25k.
lol you are kidding right? the celi will fly past those cars like nuthin.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
is it really necessary to use these top notch parts supporitng 500+ if the most the celica can use out of em is up to 300 (if really tuned n built)? cant u make the price lower by using a smaller turbo not bb, a smic instead of fmic, a freakin dsm 1g bov, because it supports 15+.. just a thought..

·
Registered
406 Posts
EuGeNiLe GTS said:
is it really necessary to use these top notch parts supporitng 500+ if the most the celica can use out of em is up to 300 (if really tuned n built)? cant u make the price lower by using a smaller turbo not bb, a smic instead of fmic, a freakin dsm 1g bov, because it supports 15+.. just a thought..
You can, and im sure people who don' t want all the top notch parts, can go different route. Maybe WC turbo kit if it comes out for the GTS or the alpine supercharger. Both of those are cheaper, and don' t use the the expensive parts included in the XS kit. i think the XS kit is the one for people who want to make alot of power, and plan to build the engine for FI later on. everything in XS's kit is top notch, and cost a lot of money, but well worth it to me...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
they should have staged turbo kits or something.. like how Star and HRC do it for the 2GNT eclipses (RS/GS).. make it a lot easier on people's pockets.. i mean seriously.. using ceremaic bb turbo that cost 1700? even with a turbo that great and big.. how much more will it cost to have the gts use all the potential of a turbo of that nature.. cant you get the same results with a much smaller/cheaper turbo if max output (safely) on the gts is just roughly below 300hp.. and i know there are smics that support 300hp.. just something im surprised no one has brought up.. just those 2 components alone.. is a big factor on the very expensive pricetag.. im sure someone can get similar numbers like the xs turbo kit using less expensive parts.. if not.. then just forget everything i said.. just my .02

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
EuGeNiLe GTS said:
they should have staged turbo kits or something.. like how Star and HRC do it for the 2GNT eclipses (RS/GS).. make it a lot easier on people's pockets.. i mean seriously.. using ceremaic bb turbo that cost 1700? even with a turbo that great and big.. how much more will it cost to have the gts use all the potential of a turbo of that nature.. cant you get the same results with a much smaller/cheaper turbo if max output (safely) on the gts is just roughly below 300hp.. and i know there are smics that support 300hp.. just something im surprised no one has brought up.. just those 2 components alone.. is a big factor on the very expensive pricetag.. im sure someone can get similar numbers like the xs turbo kit using less expensive parts.. if not.. then just forget everything i said.. just my .02
The advantage of the BB turbo is not that it gives more HP per PSI, it is really because the area under the curve is greater. Meaning if you get a cheap turbo, you still get the same HP, but it will take a lot longer to spool and the HP down low will not be as good. The BB turbo spools at 2500rpm, and a cheaper turbo may spool at 4500. HP & Torque down low is what the Celica lacks.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
EuGeNiLe GTS said:
Eugenile,
nyoneway makes a great point about the advantage of using a ball-bearing turbo. Quick response and power throughout almost the entire powerband, together with 320 wheel-horsepower potential, all in one little turbo. In addition, using an SMIC as opposed to the huge FMIC that XS uses won't lower the temperature on the intake charge nearly as effectively, which might potentially cause major detonation problems with our high-compression engine. In any case, even if using cheaper components in a custom setup, by the time you got to upgrading the fuel system, installing a GOOD ECU-based engine management system, and ESPECIALLY tuning, it wouldn't be that much cheaper than the XS kit any longer, if at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts