NewCelica.org Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
EuGeNiLe GTS said:
is it really necessary to use these top notch parts supporitng 500+ if the most the celica can use out of em is up to 300 (if really tuned n built)? cant u make the price lower by using a smaller turbo not bb, a smic instead of fmic, a freakin dsm 1g bov, because it supports 15+.. just a thought..
Do yourself and everyone a favor, go piece yourself a turbo kit using parts you find online that includes: turbo, intercooler, engine management (not SAFC), fuel system upgrade, intake, all the neccessary custom pipings, and also factor in tuning costs. Add up all the cost with any cheaper parts you want and see if they cost any less than the XS kit.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
nyoneway said:

Do yourself and everyone a favor, go piece yourself a turbo kit using parts you find online that includes: turbo, intercooler, engine management (not SAFC), fuel system upgrade, intake, all the neccessary custom pipings, and also factor in tuning costs. Add up all the cost with any cheaper parts you want and see if they cost any less than the XS kit.
Don't be too hard on him, man. He's definitely bringing up questions that are worthy of discussion. Many months ago, I myself had these same questions. However, after doing more research about the complexity, time, and money it would take to make a good custom turbo kit for the Celica (and after XS announced that a tuned Power FC would be included in their kit), I realized that XS's kit was the way to go. For anyone who has doubts about whether XS's kit is a deal, just look at two guys on this site who went custom, and did it the RIGHT WAY, Mike and Jay. They spent in the neighborhood of $10,000 to get the job done right.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Keyshawn said:

Don't be too hard on him, man. He's definitely bringing up questions that are worthy of discussion. Many months ago, I myself had these same questions. However, after doing more research about the complexity, time, and money it would take to make a good custom turbo kit for the Celica (and after XS announced that a tuned Power FC would be included in their kit), I realized that XS's kit was the way to go. For anyone who has doubts about whether XS's kit is a deal, just look at two guys on this site who went custom, and did it the RIGHT WAY, Mike and Jay. They spent in the neighborhood of $10,000 to get the job done right.
My friend has a auto GT, went custom and so far spend more than $7000. His car is running pretty crappy with only a SAFC controlling the AF, and it leans out on high RPM. It's been almost 2 years since he got his turbo and they still could'nt figure out how to get it to run right.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I ran him at 5-6PSI and it's the same as a 6sp GT-S with bolton. Effortless low 14's while I had my work cut out for me rowing gears and keeping in lift just to stay with him.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI guys, the IHI turbo we use does not contain ceramic ball-bearings. That's a Turbonetics technology (if you want to call it a technology....). The IHI that we use contain genuine stainless-steel ball-bearings (like the rest of the real ball-bearing turbochargers around the world).

The reason why we choose the parts we did were because of performance. Over many evolutions, we ended up with the parts we did because we found them to work best. I'm sure we could have made a cheaper kit, but it would also perform like a cheaper kit.

Trust me guys, the last thing you want to do is to be penny pinching when shopping for a turbo kit. A quality turbo system gets you reliable performance. We get SO MANY people coming in here with home-made turbo systems and/or cheap no-named turbo kits that want us to fix the cars and make them run right because they NEVER ran right from day one. I feel sorry for these guys, but we can rarely help them because they can't afford us. Unfortunately, we're not in business to provide a public service.....

Forced induction must be done right. As with most things, you pay for what you get. We've tried our best to make our turbo system affordable, but we can't make everybody happy. So for the guys that don't mind spending a little extra for reliable performance, give us a call.

BTW, the guys who are concerned with the air filter under the hood, don't worry. Heat rises and there's absolutely nothing that generates heat below the air filter.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
XSPOWER said:
FYI guys, the IHI turbo we use does not contain ceramic ball-bearings. That's a Turbonetics technology (if you want to call it a technology....). The IHI that we use contain genuine stainless-steel ball-bearings (like the rest of the real ball-bearing turbochargers around the world).

The reason why we choose the parts we did were because of performance. Over many evolutions, we ended up with the parts we did because we found them to work best. I'm sure we could have made a cheaper kit, but it would also perform like a cheaper kit.

Trust me guys, the last thing you want to do is to be penny pinching when shopping for a turbo kit. A quality turbo system gets you reliable performance. We get SO MANY people coming in here with home-made turbo systems and/or cheap no-named turbo kits that want us to fix the cars and make them run right because they NEVER ran right from day one. I feel sorry for these guys, but we can rarely help them because they can't afford us. Unfortunately, we're not in business to provide a public service.....

Forced induction must be done right. As with most things, you pay for what you get. We've tried our best to make our turbo system affordable, but we can't make everybody happy. So for the guys that don't mind spending a little extra for reliable performance, give us a call.

BTW, the guys who are concerned with the air filter under the hood, don't worry. Heat rises and there's absolutely nothing that generates heat below the air filter.
and god has spoken...

what color are the IC pipes going to be?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
XSPOWER said:
FYI guys, the IHI turbo we use does not contain ceramic ball-bearings. That's a Turbonetics technology (if you want to call it a technology....). The IHI that we use contain genuine stainless-steel ball-bearings (like the rest of the real ball-bearing turbochargers around the world)....
My bad. Thanks for the clarification, Eric.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Guys the XS kit for $5K is a real steal at that price and once XS does a few kits the price will go up and not down. I had the POS Turbo Performace kit that came with a T-3 turbo that the seals blew out after about 100 miles. I then bought a T3/4 58 trim ceramic coated, don't be penny wise and dollar foolish as you will pay more in the long run. The T3 spools up faster then the T3/4 hybrid but it also craps out at about 6000 RPM. The price is in line for the Celica guys, my ZO6 which has approx. 350 RWHP SAE after the install of my ATI supercharger my RWHP SAE will be 525-545:AF: with about 475-510 torque:chuckles: :naughty: :bowdown: The cost to do my Vette is $7,300.00 installed and tuned but that's because the aftermarket for the Vette has been around for a long time. As I said XS is a steal and will not be comming down in price, your other option is to go custom and spend $10K!

·
Registered
395 Posts
hmm.... low 14's not bad for a turbo gt auto. are there any pistons and rods out for the 1zzfe that would lower the compression?? i bet running more boost would get him in the mid-high 13's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What about if you dont live in CALI.. whos going to tune this turbo kit once you have it installed..?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
blahx said:
What about if you dont live in CALI.. whos going to tune this turbo kit once you have it installed..?
Good luck finding a good tuner in the Garden State to work on the Celica. If you want to come to North Jersey call my shop @ 201-229-0939 and ask for Billy. He won't tune the PFC as he doesn't have the software but can handle anything else you throw at him!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts