NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am trying to decide Coil overs or just lowering springs.. Looking At Skunk2 and some Dropzone or Tenzo not sure what yet. I have 17 Drag rims on 215 40 17 tires so how low should I go.. . Skunk is 2.0 front and 2.4 in back but I am worried that is too low... ??? Am I right or wrong let me know?

·
Registered
13 Posts
dude if i were you get full suspension like tein basic kit coilovers much better...
cause depending on how you drive have skunk2 coilovers will blow your struts..i mean thats what i think

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok But how low should I go. Sitting on 17s ?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i have 17's on a 45 profile with a hotchkis drop and sometimes i wish my car was a little lower, looks too close to stock but from reading on the suspension section, there aren't any aftermarket shocks that will handle anything with more than a 1.5" drop. If you want skunk then i really dont know what shocks you should get. I would just suggest getting coilovers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you get coilovers drop it 2" if you want it low...but if you dont want it to scratch when it comes to speed bumps i can say 1.5"...

but 2" is a good drop and it'll show

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
whatever drop brings you so that you dont have much wheel well gap showin. might be like a little over 2in up front and like 2.5 in the rear. :thumbup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey?

Hey I am coming into a little extra money and I was looking around and shocks/ coilover... the whole kit.... Anyone ever heard of Tokico??? just curious!!!! But I found TEIN BASIC COIL OVER set for about 900? is that a good price? Also are the SS Super Street type that much better and should I spend the extra 400 on them? Im not racing the car ever so I would think the basic are enough !

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah imo basics are more than enough if u just want the droppd look, the only thing the ss kit has over the basics is u can adjust the dampening setting on the shocks. The basics are set at the highest level and cnnt b adjusted. ime in the same boat is you, 150 4 skunk 2 springs or 900 4 coilovers, theres a guy on here who has been running the skunk 2s for 2 years w/ no problems w/ his shocks, i think his name is dooly, definetly has me contemplating trying it.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
BayouDealer said:
Hey I am coming into a little extra money and I was looking around and shocks/ coilover... the whole kit.... Anyone ever heard of Tokico??? just curious!!!! But I found TEIN BASIC COIL OVER set for about 900? is that a good price? Also are the SS Super Street type that much better and should I spend the extra 400 on them? Im not racing the car ever so I would think the basic are enough !
or you can get the KSPORT coilvoers..

which features:

36-way adjustable dampening
Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness
Compression/Rebound adjustable
Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel
Pillow Ball Top Mount w/ adjustable camber (not available for some models)
Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage
Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust
One Year Limited Warranty

Priced less than $900

·
Registered
386 Posts
i would say if you have extra dough go with tein basics or k-sports

good picks

if you are staying with springs go with something like tanabe df.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey another questions is if I lower the car with just lowering springs and tear up the shocks are there a better set of shock just to buy so that does not happen or will that be the same price as buying coilovers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hell man I have some money but I looked up KSports and hell I could get the SS Teins for less... That stuff is way up there. Any other good coil over companies out that.... HELL WITH IT ALL I AM BUYING ALL BOMZ S==T OFF EBAY!!!! LLOL Well any other suggestions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I keep reading and I think I am going to stick the lowering springs and keep the extra cash for other improvements. Eibach I am looking at but I am getting worried about the 2.5 in drop I think I need to find something like 1.5 front and 2.0 in the back. Anyone know of any in that range or close to it . It is a daily drive car and always will be plus my wife uses it 2 days a week so I dont trust her and speed bumps... Hear what Im saying. I have been thru two sets of rims already with her and curbs... I have Drags now and I like them the most out of all I have had.

HEY ALSO HOW DO you post pics?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive got 18s on my car and wondering what i should do.... coil overs or just springs. Its my everyday drive. How low should i go???

·
Registered
716 Posts
BayouDealer said:
I keep reading and I think I am going to stick the lowering springs and keep the extra cash for other improvements. Eibach I am looking at but I am getting worried about the 2.5 in drop I think I need to find something like 1.5 front and 2.0 in the back. Anyone know of any in that range or close to it . It is a daily drive car and always will be plus my wife uses it 2 days a week so I dont trust her and speed bumps... Hear what Im saying. I have been thru two sets of rims already with her and curbs... I have Drags now and I like them the most out of all I have had.

HEY ALSO HOW DO you post pics?
My advice is to stick with a lowering spring and new sruts like KYB.
There is a Group Buy going on for coilovers. You might look into that section.
If you go Bomz you will go boom. It's apparent you did.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I AM NOT GOING BOMZ AND DONT EVER SAY THAT AGAIN. I think that is the worst insult ever LOL..... I may be crazy but I aint dumb.... Anyway I think I have decide I will go with the lowering springs... I am starting to believe that unless I go all out racing there is no need for anything more. I am not going for speed JUST LOOKS Or I would have never just bought the GT only. It is not that fast to beginwith plus the tranny 5 speed sucks compaired to the 6.... Ok thanks for the help ..... Keep this open for anyother thoughts about lowering and Coilovers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I think it is a good thought not to go below about 2.0 if it is a daily drive car... I Like the hotchkis with the 1.5 front and 1.75 back is the winner. AS OF NOW>>>>

·
Registered
716 Posts
BayouDealer said:
I AM NOT GOING BOMZ AND DONT EVER SAY THAT AGAIN. I think that is the worst insult ever LOL..... I may be crazy but I aint dumb.... Anyway I think I have decide I will go with the lowering springs... I am starting to believe that unless I go all out racing there is no need for anything more. I am not going for speed JUST LOOKS Or I would have never just bought the GT only. It is not that fast to beginwith plus the tranny 5 speed sucks compaired to the 6.... Ok thanks for the help ..... Keep this open for anyother thoughts about lowering and Coilovers.
Sorry about that, my friend. My mistake. I't won't happen again.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Before the thread closes, I gatta ask a question about the Tien basics vs the Tien ss.

My car would be a daily drive too, but I'd like to toggle between a lowered look and a more safer height. Would the Tien basics be fine? I don't want too harsh of a ride b/c i'm planning on going on 18 inch rims by next year, and i think the tien ss has a 16 way adjustment as far as ride dampening.

Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts