NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The throw out bearing on my car is squeeking like crazy lately so I'm going to try to get Toyota to replace it under warrenty. While they have the transmission down I'm gonna have them install a light weight flywheel in the car. I'm debating whether i should also put in a new clutch at the same time. I have about 45k miles on my car now. I was wondering how many miles people were getting out of their stock clutches. I've launched hard on it a couple times, but i rarely slip the clutch very much. Clutches in some cars can last over 100k miles if you don't beat on them so i was wondering if the celicas clutch would last that long.

Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
It very much depends on how hard you drive your car, and how well you shift.

A casual driver who shifts well can go over 60k miles on the stock clutch.

On the other hand someone who drives really hard can ruin their clutch within 15-20k miles, and even less if they shift like crap.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
58,000 miles, including about 15 runs at the drag strip, another 36 drag style launches at SCCA "ProSolo" events, and another 500 or so autocross runs, also throw in 150 miles on a road course.

Oh, I've also been known to tow a small trailer.

Still seems to work pretty well.

Scott

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
63000 miles and it still seems pretty strong. I have run 2 seasons of Autocross, and am a generally aggressive driver. Also...i have been driving stick since i was 14. However, when other family members drive it...ugg. They tear up the clutch a lot. So i may replace mine sooner than i would have liked.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
well i've gone 170K + miles in my toyota pickup and changed the clutch master cylinder and clutch release cylinder.. but still the original stock clutch. so i guess it depends on how you drive??.. the clutch slips a lot now. but its not that bad as long as i dont race that pos. lol

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
inflaymes said:
I am at over 70k on my clutch....maybe it's lasted this long cause I have been driving stick for over 15 years?
:werd: i have about 66k miles on mine and still running strong.. i haven't been driving stick for 15 years.. but i have for 5 years (thats how long i've been driving), learned to drive on one... all of our vehicles are manual tranny's. Our 87' accord went for 135k miles, that was my dad driving it since it was new, me learning to drive on it, and then driving it for 2 years.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the responses guys.

I told the toyota guy i was thinkin about changing the clutch while the tranny is down and immediately he said "y? U been beating on it?!" They're all about jumping all over u. heh

·
Registered
990 Posts
mine lasted 8000 miles ... kinda put it in the wrong gear and smoked it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts