NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,
I’ve been offered a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback 2D which has 200,000 thousand miles on it for 2K
I was wondering if anyone knew if this is worth the price AND how long the car would last mileage wise seeing it has already hit the 200K?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,217 Posts
$2k is a decent price. But, the powertrain is tired & is the big unknown. My 2ZZ engine died @ 180K & starter around 185K. :( Everything else is holding up pretty well. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really depends on maintenance, environment(salt), and how it was driven. The donor GTS to my GT had over 230K before it was wrecked and clutch springs broken. Engine still ran fine with no ticks or weird sounds. Shifted fine. After stripping it down and replacing seals and gaskets, everything looked in pretty good condition (engine/transmission wise) other than a timing cover oil leak. Judging by the oil, toasted rotors, missing splash guards, and broken clutch springs, it was abused at least some of its life. You can inquire from the seller what he can/will tell you or any engine codes that may be present. Try to inspect for signs of abuse or wear in the engine bay to get somewhat of an idea. Ask if lift bolts were replaced with the 03+ style.
Some fail earlier than 200k, many are going on strong. Still no way to be sure without knowing the 3 things I mentioned first but $2K for a good condition body with little/no rust above the rear wheel wells and good interior is a decent deal like 2way said.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bought mine new and now have 258,000 on it, still running strong. Unfortunately you never know how well it was maintained if buying used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts