NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so over on everythingcelica.com I asked people if I should switch to synthetic oil since I redline my car a few times a day (shift right at 6900). And mostly all of them are telling me that my motor is going to die real soon because of this. So I'm thinking "WTF???" I thought are cars were made for this?????

I always thought that redlining would only waste gas and not damage your motor (that is why the redline is there, to tell you when to shift).

So I am all confused now. I thought it was perfectly fine to redline. What about all those streetracers who redline their cars like 50 times a day???? Are there motors going to die within the next month???

·
Registered
340 Posts
it can hold some but not everytime you take off and everytime you drive the more abuse you put on the engine the shorter time it will last

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
i have a 2002 5 spd, i take very good care of my car, i only put in 93 octane, and synthetic oil, once my car is warmed up i redline it at lelast once or twice every day, 30k, no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by mvZx2
why do you put 93 octane in a gt? its a waste, and maybe does more harm then good
No, why would it do any harm? It is useless though... I think the US ECU has been programmed for 91 octane. So using 93 will not help.

Our europeans car have been tuned for 95 octane, I use 98 octane since i'm turbocharged and running 13PSI. Less chance for knock and blowing up my engine.

Yes, maybe you do shorten the length of your engine, but it's not like each time you shift at redline another day of driving is gone. The car was made to withstand 6800rpm(redline).
You should only worry if you hit the rev limiter, because I heard the car will cut the fuel, thus mostly burning air. The more air, the bigger the explosion, the more heat your engine will have to endure. So, don't hit the rev-limiter or you have a chance to blow your engine.

Have fun and drive safe. I see my redline a couple of times in a week. I love pushing my car to the limits ;)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I try to hit 8350rpm every chance I get for the last 3.5 years and 100k+ miles. The car is still as strong as day one.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
like they said bro, the engines can handle it, but it's causing more wear and tear. if you keep it that well tuned i don't see any prob., just be careful :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly Pete
if the previous owner of my car didnt do it, im making up for it.
:gap: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
redlineing is fine. Opposed to what people say on this forum, i dont think you really need synthetic oil. I have a 2000 gt-s and i use regular motor oil.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Tuppuguy said:
redlineing is fine. Opposed to what people say on this forum, i dont think you really need synthetic oil. I have a 2000 gt-s and i use regular motor oil.

Here is something you should memorize. Oil = cheap insurance. Maintaining oil in your car is one of the cheapest and best ways to guard against engine problems.

Jon

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
yes just make sure u dont have oil starvation or else boom goes the block like mine :( a while back....but that was due to some warranty issues...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
JohnnyWash1 said:
Here is something you should memorize. Oil = cheap insurance. Maintaining oil in your car is one of the cheapest and best ways to guard against engine problems.

Jon
Who says i'm not maintaining the oil in my car? Here's something you should memorize. Syntheic oil = expensive. regular motor oil = cheaper and works just fine. I have no money. i'll stick to regular oil.

·
Banned
4,595 Posts
I use synthetic Mobil 1, I beat the car regularly (alot of u can vouch for that). I constantly take it apart and ****. 40K miles of my abuse (and maintenance...key part) and she runs great! no problems, purrs nicely. keep up on the oil changes on time and u should have NOOOO problem....

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I usually step on my GT-S pass redline. I just make sure I am up to date with the maintenance. I've been doing it for a while and no problem up to now. My GT took a beating when I had it.... Never gave me problems, yet I made sure it was always breathing right and had enough blood in its veins....

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Tuppuguy said:
Who says i'm not maintaining the oil in my car? Here's something you should memorize. Syntheic oil = expensive. regular motor oil = cheaper and works just fine. I have no money. i'll stick to regular oil.

Maintaining oil in a high performance car means using synthetic, in my opinion. Not trying to flame, but given the technology put into the engine, it doesn't make sense to use old tech oil.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
Maintaining oil in a high performance car means using synthetic, in my opinion. Not trying to flame, but given the technology put into the engine, it doesn't make sense to use old tech oil.

Jon
GT's arent high performance cars, so regular motor oil is just fine!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts