NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if tha cf hoods are gonna bend like the stock one. It isn't gonna fly right through the windshield in an accident right? Hope not... Well, i'm prolly gonna get one soon... maybe. Just depends. Don't really want something sliding through the windshield right at me @ 70 mph. hehe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for tha info. Yeah, heehee, wouldn't want to be like a headless chicken.
Wut am i gonna use to watch tha road, right.? N also tha looks that i get in mah ride. Yeah, wouldn't want that. But yeah, probably itz gonna shatter. Anyone had nye experience with how carbon fiber works. Does it shatter like a cf tennis raquet? Or any other cf items 4 that matter?

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
most cf hoods you get are fiberglass covered in a few layers of carbon fiber. they would probably act similarly when pressure is applied. The pressure generated by an accident would be so great that it probably wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It depends on what breaks first. The mounts holding it to the hinges, or the whole rest of the hood. Then there's the question of will it go right through your windshield or bounce off it and over the car. It all depsends on how you get hit, and how strong differnt parts of the hood & hinges & windshield are. I'll bet no two accecents would give the same results even if the hoods were exactly the same. I'd would say that there's definatly a greater risk of it coming through the window and right at you, but how much more of a risk is definatly up for debate.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Umm it seems to me that a c/f hood would have a less likely chance of coming through the windshield than the stock hood reason being yes metal bends, but the carbon fiber will bust up, this is not the carbon fiber that is extremely strong liked used in military planes and such, this is like someone stated earlier fiberglass with c/f on top with a gel coat on top of that, and trust me it would either first fly up and just pop onto you winshield, or two hit your windshield and shatter it, but the windshield would not allow it to go through easily, the windshields are designed so that they shatter but they dont exactly break if you get what I am saying, and the thrid and most likely scenario is that the c/f hood would just break into a billion pieces just like fiberglass!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough I really don't think you will have to worry about it coming through your windshiled!!! If you want to test how strong a windshield is, call you local auto glass installer, ask them if they have any busted windshields, then get the hardest, sharpest cold knife you can find, go down to the autoglass place and ask them for a spare broken pieced of a windshiled , set the windshield up on two saw horses and just see if you can punch a hole through the windshield with that knife, see how hard it is!!!!! I really dont think u have anything to worry about!! Hope this helps some!!

Justin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.