NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Couple more minor additions:
10. Take out your new oil filter and open one quart of oil. Apply a very thin layer of your new oil to the rubber gasket on the oil filter.
Fill the oil filter about 1/2 way full of oil (for startup).
12. Crawl out from under your car and open the hood again. Remove the oil cap and make sure your funnel is clean. When your funnel is clean put the tip of the funnel in engine.
Don't press the funnel down on the baffle in the fill hole.
15. When the oil is all set and the correct level of oil is shown on the dipstick, Close the oil cap and make sure your dipstick is inside the metal hole and let the car sit for a minute or two to absorb the oil and start the car.

16. Let the beautiful celica idle for about 3 minutes and check under the car for any leaks.

17 . If no leaks are found re install the plastic tray you removed in step 4.
Re-check the oil level on the dipstick and top off to the full mark. Running the engine will fill the filter & drop the level slightly.

Tip: Jam a screw driver into the bottom of the oil filter to allow the oil to drain out before removing it instead of getting all over your hands.

:D

yup this is a good guide. I've never done oil b4. did the tranny fluid which is pretty much the same concept. I'll do it myself next time though just so I don't have to lesten to them asking if I want them to do ten other things.

Good info, but since Im using full synthetic in my car, the cost of me buying the five quarts and the filter is a bit more than it costs me to take it in for my mechanic to do the oil change, so whats the point.

My only other suggestion would be a guide for checking other fluids, like brake, power steering, and transmission. I know a lot of other places do it when you change the oil, and fill any necessary fluids for free. This way it's more of a full checkup routine and one would get more benifit from doing it his or herself.

In the case that it needs to be changed too it would be nice to know how to change the powersteering fluid (mine is dirty) as well as the brake fluid.

Great write up and it's awesome you took the time to actually put this together for those who dont' know a thing about oil changes.

Edit: sorry for the rant, but I wanted to throw in there to clean your air filter (either stock airbox or intake filter) and before/after I run seafoam to help do a colon cleanse of the car. :gap:

just did this myself for the first time. thanks alot for the writeup
i thought i had a funnel when i started, i ran around rummaging around my house trying to find something as a funnel and seeing as how the trash was just taken out i had no bottles..soo i went to my fridge and pounded down a half bottle of soda and used that to pour the oil into a milk jug
man you should have seen what i had to do to get that damn oil filter off
i had to use the screw driver and hammer method but i couldnt get a good grip to turn it so i jammed a screw dirver up the center made a whole, and grabbed and twisted with a wrench...finally it gave out and i could get the filter out

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.