NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Really old thread but.. bump because we have had a bunch of new people on the forums that might need it.

'00-'01 GT owners should add 10mm to the dipstick marks and increase their fill capacities by 0.5qt due to the oil burning issue.

very good write up for the ppl that want to start with a smaller DIY maintenence project!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
'00-'01 GT owners should add 10mm to the dipstick marks and increase their fill capacities by 0.5qt due to the oil burning issue.
yeah i agree.. i never looked to see if anyone made an oil change guide for a GT but that info should def be included.

very good write up for the ppl that want to start with a smaller DIY maintenence project!
Thanks!

Good writup!

Lately I have been getting the 24.99 specials on Mobil-1 (5 Qts + filter) or other full Synthetics. And having Toyota dealer do the actual change (like 13$). That way they can add some of that brown coolant in :), and check tires and such... or maybe I just got lazy HAHA

Whats the general concensus on additives like GUMOUT that you put into the engine and run for a few minutes before you change the oil. (For those who do not know, its suppose to suspend and remove any sludge or engine build up so it drains out with the oil)

My Celica is getting an oil change this weekend, I'm going with Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Should I rechange the oil after using Gumout within a week or so or use regular oil right after the GumOut for a few minutes, then change the oil again with the Mobil 1? (A rinse if you will)

Any opinions?

Discussion starter · #50 ·
The plastic panel was missing from my 01 celica gt when I bought it. I looked online to see if I could find a replacement part. I found this panel online, it doesn't look exactly the same, but it says it is the splash shield replacement part for the drivers side of an 01 celica. Does anybody know if it would work?

Link: http://www.autopartsfair.com/toyota-exterior_parts/celica-2001-exterior_body_parts-t310132.html
idk what exactly that has to do with this guide .. but for 84 dollars... id rather spend a alitle over 100 for a beatrush panel found in our vendor part of the site. Search for beatrush, and please keep this thread on topic.

oil amount for celica 2001 gt

I purchased my vehicle new in 2001 and have always changed the oil myself (mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic). Until recently I figured 4qts of oil (as in the manual and auto store guide) is the proper amount. Seeing this post list 5 quarts makes me a bit worried... I've checked my oil with the dipstick and the oil level is within ok levels, but on the lower side. Please advise/yell/laugh at/agree.

Thanks.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
I purchased my vehicle new in 2001 and have always changed the oil myself (mobil 1 10w-30 full synthetic). Until recently I figured 4qts of oil (as in the manual and auto store guide) is the proper amount. Seeing this post list 5 quarts makes me a bit worried... I've checked my oil with the dipstick and the oil level is within ok levels, but on the lower side. Please advise/yell/laugh at/agree.

Thanks.
Its 4.5 quarts.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
thanks for the ridiculously fast response.
no problem. :).. i'm pretty sure its 4.5 quarts if i remember correctly, but make just to check your oil levels it should be between the two dots.

Ramps rule. Jackstands are too high. Never could get those things under the car.
The cost of changing your own oil might not seem to make a ton of sense the first time around. You will buy Mobil 1 and a catch pan and a filter wrench and jackstands and ramps. Once you figure out Wallmart 5 qt full syntyetic is just as good, and a "3x better protection" filter does not mean you can change it every 15k miles, when you get it down to 10 minutes and skip buying oil the 4th time around (leftover quarts) you will appreciate not having to wait an hour and a half for a Wallmart oil change cause the quiky lube around the corner charges way too much for some jerk to forget to fill it up or put in the wrong weight oil and have your plastics scraping asphalt all the way home.

Yesterday I was changing oil on my Celica for the first time. Whoever changed it before used some kind of tool to tighten it (drain plug and oil filter). Drain plug wasn't too bad, but oil filter was b**** tight. Since I had no tools that would fit there and I couldn't turn it with sandpaper, I punched a hole in it with meaty screwdriver and turned it that way. Writing this in case somebody in same shoes. Make sure your oil pan in underneath because oil filter will have oil in it.

nice write-up. What do you guys usually run? I have been running Royal Purple 10w-30. Is 10w-30 good? i heard it really just depends on the way you drive, what do you guys recommend?

Oh and the oil filter being stupid tight always happens. I have always changed my own oil since a shop only put 1 qt in, but my first celi and this one both have been a pain to get the oil filter off. i always use a pair of channel locks.

nice write-up. What do you guys usually run? I have been running Royal Purple 10w-30. Is 10w-30 good? i heard it really just depends on the way you drive, what do you guys recommend?

Oh and the oil filter being stupid tight always happens. I have always changed my own oil since a shop only put 1 qt in, but my first celi and this one both have been a pain to get the oil filter off. i always use a pair of channel locks.
i am running on 5w30 mobile1. i just fallowed my handbook. haha.

note for oil filter:
So you don't have to kill your self taking it out later.

When you put the oil filter in turn it so the gasket touches the metal then do a 1/2 to 3/4 turn and that tight enough. The heat will make it tighter anyways. and make sure the old gasket is off and your new on is on your filters. 2 gasket = big mess... learn form experience lol.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.