NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is possible to convert a DBW (drive-by-wire) 2003+ Celica GT-S to cable throtle. This thread will describe how to do this.

We all know that:

- The 03+ GT-S has different plugs at the ECU
- Other than the throttle assembly, ECU and wire harness, an '02 and '03 GT-S are identical.

Procedure:

- Leave engine/trans in place, only retrofit throttle components (may require removal of dash to access all bracketry)
- Compare pinouts of '03 ECU connections with '02 ECU connections. Cut plugs off of '02 harness, leaving pigtail connections. Cut plugs off of '03 harness and splice '02 plugs into existing wire harness, mapping over all the wires to the correct locations.

Keep in mind that this is basically what people with Spyders do all the time for 2ZZ swaps in order to make the wire harness work.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep in mind I've never done this, but that is what it would take. I'm hoping this will lead to someone actually trying it and proving out my method.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
Nice write-up Jesse, but the proof is in the pudding: someone needs to give it a shot!
If someone wants to provide me with the parts and pay me for my time, I'll be happy to retrofit a car. There is no financial incentive to me for proving this out myself.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Jesse IL said:
- 00-01 knock sensor, unless you use Power FC

That's the first time I've heard this!

One thing less to think about!

But can you tell me why? I know that with the PFC when it sees knocks it makes the engine light flash. So if I don't change the KS what would happen?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
the knocks sensors have more pins in the newer celicas. if you are using a 00-01 ECU and harness, then you need the knock sensor...just like in Griffin's 7800 rev limiter conversions for the 02's

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Black_TRD said:
or instead of cutting the wire harness use a patch harness
Patch harness is not necessary. You simply back the pins out of the 03+ ECU plugs and reinstall them in the proper locations on 2000-=02 plugs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Smaay said:
the knocks sensors have more pins in the newer celicas. if you are using a 00-01 ECU and harness, then you need the knock sensor...just like in Griffin's 7800 rev limiter conversions for the 02's
But if I use a PFC I will be ok? So no need to change them?

·
Registered
201 Posts
i am planning on doing this conversion when summer comes. I'll let you know how it goes. and thanks jessy this cleared up a few questions i had.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone have an estimate to how much all of the parts would cost?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I should have an estimate next week.

Come on guys, we can pull this off!:D

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
good write up jesse

i am giving a shot this summer, trying to collect some parts till than.

hopefully it's as easy as you make it to be.

but one thing, what's the easiest way to pull out the dash?

i got this part list, wonder if it'll work:

INtake Manifold
Throttle Body
Engine Wire Harness
Vehicle Wire Harness
Early Model ECU
Combo Meter
2 Throttle cables
Cruise control assembly
throttle pedal assembly
cruise control switch

thanks

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finished the pinouts for the 2001 and 2003 ECU's. Updated the abover spreadsheet. Now I need to make a cross. Most of it looks extremely straightforward. Here are some issues I've come across so far:

- From your 2000-02 harness, you'll need to get the connectors not just for the ECU, but also the TPS and IAC.
- If your donor harness is a 2000-01, you may have to retrofit to the single-wire knock sensor (not sure yet). From what I can tell, you can use the single-wire sensor on the 2002 harness, but not the two-wire sensor on the 2000-01 harness.
- The biggest problem is that cruise control. The steering wheel switch and clutch pedal switch go direct to the ECU. There may not be wiring in the harness for the 2000-02 cruise control actuator and the cruise control ECU may have been deleted. Fixing the cruise control could require the most modification.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts