NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i just dynamat the whole door or just around the speakers...is that suppose to stop the unwanted noise and make my speakers sound better?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
the idea is to add mass to the metal. so that it cuts down on flexing and vibration. if you change out your speakers (this may help some with factory speakers or if you're getting vibration or distortion in midbass) it will really help. the more you do the more it helps of course. i put like 3 layers near the speaker and 2 everywhere else. you can put layers on the inside of the exterior metal, the inside of the interior metal, and the outside of the exterior metal. if you do all this and cover EVERY HOLE you can seal up the door. this make no air from the back of the speaker get to the front. that helps midbass a lot. i've added about 30lb to each door but my speakers hit 50hz with no distortion.

i used RAAM MAT its like 80 bucks or so for a huge roll. its identical to dynamat extreme (a roll of that would cost you about 300ish i think)

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
yep, I heard and witnessed how good RAMMmat was that I bought a roll of his new V60 mat. bme107 knows about RAMMmat too, he has done pretty much his whole car with it, which is what I'm planning on doing.

·
Registered
920 Posts
New V60 mat? More info on this please :D

Where did you read about this.. on elitecaraudio.com? or..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yeah get the 60. its twice as thick as the other raam mat i believe and its like 20 bucks more than the other. thats what i used too. about 3 rolls on my car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
J3adSeed said:
the idea is to add mass to the metal. so that it cuts down on flexing and vibration. if you change out your speakers (this may help some with factory speakers or if you're getting vibration or distortion in midbass) it will really help. the more you do the more it helps of course. i put like 3 layers near the speaker and 2 everywhere else. you can put layers on the inside of the exterior metal, the inside of the interior metal, and the outside of the exterior metal. if you do all this and cover EVERY HOLE you can seal up the door. this make no air from the back of the speaker get to the front. that helps midbass a lot. i've added about 30lb to each door but my speakers hit 50hz with no distortion.

i used RAAM MAT its like 80 bucks or so for a huge roll. its identical to dynamat extreme (a roll of that would cost you about 300ish i think)

Does covering EVERY hole in your door cause any other possible mechanical problems?.......

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
the only thing you need to leave open is the little tiny drain holes at the bottom for water to get out. but very very little water gets in the door. but you want to make sure it comes back out.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
J3adseed, you added 3 layers of RAMMmat on the inside of your doors, would 1 layer make much of a difference? I kinda want to get this done but I'm not crazy about adding that much weigh to my car.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i think every little bit helps. it does weight A LOT though. the roll is really really heavy. i hated to add the weight, but its worth it to me. if your door is rattling, it will probably take much less to fix that. if you want your door to not flex at all and be totally sealed, you can probably do that with less than i used, it just depends on how strong your speakers are. the minimal i would say is to mat right where the speaker is, and behing it and in the middle of the outside skin, as that will kinda add the mass right in the center where its more likely to flex or vibrate.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
I'm stopping through and thought I'd drop a few comments. :) If you have more questions run a search for my name in this forum and you'll find several threads with pics.

sheizen- whole door would be better (inside of exterior skin) than just behind the speakers. The more coverage you have the better.

HilfigerCelica- 1 layer would have the most noticeable result. Each layer after that you are receiving diminished returns on your time and $$.

Shipping weight of the original was 15lbs per 50 sqft. The V60 is probably a bit more. Shipping tip: If you can have it sent to a business address it is a lot cheaper. I don't know why but UPS is funny like that. I saved $8-10 by having it sent to my office, rather than home.

I've yet to do the floor pan, that's this years mod. Over the summer when XYR finishes up I'll get a comparison with the new V60 to my original raam mat.

green = 1 layer
yellow = 2 layers
red = 3 layers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Here are some quick shots of my doors:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290573157

I have it on the inside of the door, and the sheetmetal which is shown. I'm also planning on doing my doors, but there some modifications I need to make first.

You will notice a huge difference with just one layer applied. A sign of a good job is a nice solid noise when you close your doors.

Curt

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i'd recommend using a bunch of matt to fill in that huge hole in the door to make it air tight. i don't know if bme did that but in the picture its open. its covered on sq gts's car.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
I don't know if I would want to cover the big hole, just because If I need to gain access to the window (which I've had to TWICE), I dont want to cut the matting....

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
besides, the matting might still "puff" in and out......n e ways, I got my RAAMmat today via UPS, that box is f'ing heavy, and it was no bigger than 2 ft long.....but its a big roll.....hopefully I'll have it done by warmer weather...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts