NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I wasted so much time trying to drill out. The rocker shaft rotated just a half mm and made it impossible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dang, will have to try and see how it is, im thinking since lift still works i should not bother with it but its in the back of my mind now and would be good to get it fixed since i like the car and just bought it 2 weeks ago.
shame the previous owner never changed the bolts although its got 74k miles on the clock and full toyota service history.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is probably a really dumb question but I would love to make sure 100%

The only reason you had to remove both camshafts is because both of your bolts were broken right? Say only the bolt to my intake camshaft is broken, I don't have to touch my exhaust cam correct?
I thought Smaay stated that he realized he had to remove the Exhaust cam in order to get to the chain tansioner. My intake lift bolt is broken and I want to tackle this job, but I am intimidated by the whole chain tensioner part.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the point I realized that I had to remove the exhaust cam. You need to get it out of the way to reset the timing chain tensioner. Ill get on that soon.
This is what I am referring to in my previous post

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
yes you do have to remove the exhaust cam to reset the chain tensioner. just follow the guide, its pretty explanatory

·
Registered
9 Posts
well I managed to get mine out, did take a few hours but I went real slow and I didn't even touch the threads on the block, the bolt was sitting straight so the shaft had not rotated or anything.

will now spend some cash on new air filter and respray my rims. all be good then.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
You know, I don't recall pulling my exhaust cam to set the tensioner at all. I think I used a long hose pick or screw driver to push it in to unlatch the hook at and set it.

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
You know, I don't recall pulling my exhaust cam to set the tensioner at all. I think I used a long hose pick or screw driver to push it in to unlatch the hook at and set it.
The proper way to unhook the little hook is to put a wrench on the crank and give it a half turn backwards, you will then hear the chain tension-er release.

·
Celestial
534 Posts
Just wanted to thank Smaay for this tutorial. My intake rocker shaft was pretty damn stuck but I got it back in... Mushroomed the end of it pretty good but it's in and aligned. Also the technique used to reset the chain tensioner worked very well. Not difficult at all with the exhaust cam removed. Kudos.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rise from the dead internet thread.

So, that hole is supposed to be oval? The one the lift bolt goes into? Mine is and looks like a hot mess. I cleaned it up some, but still looks bad. Took a lot of effort to drive the shaft out too.

Now for some torque specs and ill be done!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too have a question about the lift bolt removal. Mine was broken as well (200k miles on the engine). My buddy was replacing my blown head gasket so we decided to do the lift bolts as well and one was broken as expected. We got to the part where we need to hammer out the shaft. Someone who's done this, how hard is it to get the shaft out? We've been at it for a while and it's barely moved.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
you have to drill the top of the bolt so that the tip falls in the shaft. then it should tap right out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That makes sense why it felt so impossible to hammer the shaft out. If we managed to move the shaft a bit with the piece still in there, is anything vital scratched up? I'll try to reset the shaft to the original position and drill the bolt piece loose first. Its almost exactly this far out at the moment (http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/dsc04465.jpg with the piece still in there.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thats pretty far. yes you are damaging the head if you were pushing the shaft out that much and the bolt is still threaded. I detailed all this in my guide

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the guide the bolt still looked like it was still in there which caused a bit of confusion. It was hard to tell if there was any thread left (didn't look like) but it's certainly fairly stuck so there may be a single layer or something along those lines. Any chance here I royally messed up my head or are we talking about surface scratches on the metal?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.