NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, nice work! Can't you just reset the tensioner outside of the engine, thenput it in and unlock it by rotating the crankshaft counterclockwise. Not sure how exactly works but it is written in the service book (for 1zzfe but it's the same thing)

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Yes, but it's more satisfying and less scary to just pop it loose and watch it take up the slack at TDC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I actually have a pretty shitty experience with this method, because my tensioner didn't open, but when the head cover is removed, you can easily confirm it has opened when you rotate the crankshaft. Or maybe you mean that the risk comes from rotating the engine counterclockwise - the procedure is a bit fishy but if it is done right shouldn't it be safe?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats pretty far. yes you are damaging the head if you were pushing the shaft out that much and the bolt is still threaded. I detailed all this in my guide
In what way is the head being damaged? I mean, I know its getting a bit of a groove worn into it, but is this catastrophic damage, or just an "oh well, won't do that again" kind of damage.

·
@celicatoast
1,623 Posts
Having a seriously hard time pushing the shaft back into the head. Even rotating it is giving me trouble. Ive tried prying with a pry bar and it just won't budge. I'm afraid of breaking the timing cover putting leverage on. Anyone else have any imputs on how to push the shaft back in?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Are the rockers out of alignment? If the rockers that ride on the shaft aren't all lined up it'll give you hell, may need to wiggle them around some, especially the the one at the driver side end of the head, if it's gotten cocked cause you almost slid out of it then it will jam up the shaft from pushing back in. The rockers fit pretty close on the shaft, just flip it up and down while someone pushes the rod in and I bet it'll slip right into place.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys, I have a different problem. We are now changing the intake camshaft and rocker arms because they show wear, my car is 120.000 miles and we were thinking of changing the rocker shaft also (but I don´t know if that is necessary). My friend who works at Toyota told me, that the rocker shaft should move freely with just my hand pushing it out, and if it moves like this, than the rocker shaft is OK and does not need a change. Do you have any more information on the rocker shaft, what to check? thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great tutorial, had the same situation I fixed yesterday. Intake side lift bolt broken. Intake rocker shaft spun where I could not see rest of broken lift bolt and intake rocker shaft was out towards cam gear. I was able to leave the timing chain and camshaft in place. I used a punch on the rocker shaft on the timing chain side and pushed it back flush with the head. I took the lift actuator off and stuck a easy out in the intake rocker shaft and rotated it until I could see the rest of the broken lift bolt. Then i drilled it and used a easy out and got it out. It was kind of a pain but it worked.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Well, I'm noticing a little less lift as well on my 03' GTS. Thought I would research this thread to see if it was doable.

Are the lift bolts pressed into the shaft they break off in? I ask because in the event mine are broke and lined up still, couldn't a strong magnet be used to stick down there and grab the broken tip to pull it out?

I also thought there was some sort of filter that needed changing as well. that if it's clogged lift would be reduced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I was trying to push in the plunger on the chain tensioner I noticed it went in easily to a point and then stopped and a little oil would squirted out of the chamber that the plunger slides into sort of like a squirt gun, but it wouldn't go all the way into the depth needed to throw the catch. I let the plunger back out and pushed it in again. More oil squirted out and the plunger went deeper before it stopped. I repeated this several times until finally the plunger went all the way in and I could swing the catch lever around the pin. My plunger doesn't have much pressure but still seems to hold the chain in place. I don't know what normal behavior is with these chain tensioners. My tensioner could have failed causing it to behave this way with the squirting oil and everything. But, it seems to work fine on the car.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.