NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to do this write up all summer, but I was actually really busy so I never got around to it. I know everyone has trouble with their air conditioner but there are ways around it to make it cooler. There are three steps to approach this problem and this write up with definitely help some of out, while others it might just be a reminder.

Preparation

1. First make sure your air conditioner is working properly. This means the A/C light isn’t flashing and there is enough charge and oil in the compressor. If you’re sure about everything go to step #2. If you’re unsure how to fix these problems, go to a professional and have them flush and refill your cooling system. If you’re feeling a bit enabled and wish to do it yourself. Check for leaks, check the pressure, and flush and refill back to spec. There are plenty of sources online for doing this. ***Do not attempt to release the gas into the air. It can cause awful respiratory problems as well as hurt the environment. Go to a shop to have this serviced and recaptured.

2. Clean out your car!!! Not only does a dirty car with all of your laundry, books, and food look bad…but they also retain heat. Trying to cool down your car will be even more difficult trying to cool down these items as well. If you’re not imagining this idea, try putting a rock into a fire. Let it heat up and watch it glow. Then drop this hot rock into cold water…you’ll get the idea after that. You’ll see it boil immediately and if you took out the rock, it’d still retain some heat!

3. Apply tint! Most of you already know this, but most of you don’t seem to realize how big our front windshield is and how much light energy is passing right though. But before you tell me the legality of putting tint on your front windshield, I have to tell you that you CAN DO IT! How? Well, you’re not using regular tint. No…any color difference or change will be noticeable by police and you’ll be pulled over right away. The tint I’m talking about is nano tint which is completely clear and has the same effects as limo tint. This will make a huge difference and you’ll feel it right away. I’ve had it on my car for 2 years now, I live in California too. I’ve been pulled over for speeding 10MPH over and the police officer did a full inspection of my car. Yes, he looked everywhere, including the inside for nitrous switches. Everything on my car was legal he said and he only ticketed me for the speeding. So yes, do this… this alone will solve most and all of your cooling problems, which I’ll explain later in this article.

What’s the tint? 3M Crystalline Tint Film. It’s not cheap tint at around $250 for the job. And I would highly recommend getting a licensed dealer to apply this since you don’t get a second chance at handling such expensive film. Be sure to actually look at the tint before applying, it’ll have a 3M logo etched into the part that gets cut off. There is another tint that does the same job called Wincos tint, which I had applied to my car. It’s not as efficient as the 3M, but it was $75 cheaper. Look into that if you’re interested in an alternative type of film.

4. Place insulation protections around the output and input lines to from your compressor to the car. While some state that they can see a 1 degree drop in Celsius by applying it, using every technique possible is important when dealing with our cars. Be sure to use zip-ties to hold them in place. Since these lines are close to our spinning drive belt, be sure nothing obstructs its path and allow it to spin freely. I picked up some Frost King Black Pipe Insulation and zip-ties to match the car. It looks stock and it doesn’t look too silly at all. The idea behind this is that under the hood, the heat that is generated affects the coolant running through these tubes and the insulation will protect the cool pipes from the hot environment.

Technique

5. Park in a shaded area and keep your windows cracked just a bit. This goes without sense, but some people don’t realize that it’s the light which makes more of the energy which heats up your car. Even if the temperature is hot outside, parking in the shade will cool down the metal of your car as well as the light not being blasted on your car will not be trapped bouncing around inside your car. The windows cracked would allow hot air to escape. Since heat rises, if you don’t want to crack your side windows open, at least press your sunroof once. If you notice, one touch will do just this, without opening the top glass to allow things to drop inside.

6. Use a sunshade whenever possible. I hate this option because it makes your car look cheap and ghetto. If you’re using the 3M Crystalline Tint Film, skip this step and maintain your clean car look. However if this is not an option, the reason for the sunshade is to reflect the light back out of your car as to not allow the radiation to heat up your car. If you didn’t know this by now, stop reading…

7. Use the thermo insulation on the walls of your car. Dynamat makes this stuff, but I will not go into details since this route is very expensive and will not make a large difference in cooling down your car. However, if you’d like improved sound, using this product will help you achieve that as well.

Execution

8. When turning on your A/C to Level 3 setting, close all four front vents, turn to recirculation, and have it pointing to Front Vent Setting. Roll down your windows and allow the system to cool down as you drive and release the hot air from your car.

What?!?!? Close all vents???? Yes… close them all. The idea is to cool down that dash!!! The dash is what is heating the air before it comes out. If you close all vents and drive, you’ll notice the air system getting cool in one minute and after two minutes you’ll be at your coldest temperature. Why is this possible? What’s happening is the air being pushed out is now being blocked by the vents. This “cold air” inside will be recirculated and cooled down once more. At the same time the pressure of the air will press up against your dash and it’ll start to cool the dash. After a minute, touch your dash and once you feel that it’s cool…after two minutes, open your vents and turn down your A/C. You’ll notice that it’ll reach its coldest temperature and it’s so cold that if you keep it on that high setting, you’ll get frozen.

I was just in Vegas last week. 102F temperatures they had. Last year I didn’t discover this, I was sweating heavily in my car. This year I felt cool and I rode down the strip with my windows up in complete comfort. My girlfriend could sleep comfortably and she even needed to wear a jacket while I drove home.

Sorry this didn’t come to you at the beginning of summer, but I was really busy. But for some of you, it’ll stay hot for you the entire year. Sometimes it’s like that in California, but nevertheless, you’ll feel this immediately. Have fun everyone and stay cool!!!

-CalPencil:tumble:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Haha sweet man, I live in AZ and it was about 112 today! My ac took long to blow cold air.
I'll give that vent trick a shot! Haha Thanks again. And nice write up!

·
Registered
141 Posts
nice write-up! thank you and kudos! :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure it can apply to heat as well...but most heat will not start unless your engine warms up. Your engine gets priority before you get the heat yourself.

Having a cold dash board doesn't seem to affect the heat as much as you think. But if you ran your heat the same way, you'll notice a change in your dash board. It's the heating element which needs to warm up first before you get your hot air. But it's worth a shot.

In regards to pointing your vents upwards, that is good when you want to cool the whole car, however it doesn't cool your charge air faster. Also, when you open your vents, they are directly in front of you. If you accept the cold air in your face, you'll feel colder regardless of the rest of the temperature in the car. If you're thinking of your other passengers, then this is could be the best solution.

However, since hot air rises... keeping your sunroof open while you opened your foot vent for cold air, might be more practical. Hot air will escape creating a pull for the cold. Only when the overall temperature drops in your car and you don't have this effect, then close the sunroof and point the upwards to circulate the air (if this is your goal).

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Today was about 110 degrees outside. My rearview mirror showed 120 under my front headlight from the car standing out in the sun all day. I started the car, about 30 seconds later I had ice cold A/C coming out of the vents. I did not do anything special. I made sure that the car has the right amount of freon, and that there are no debris in the condenser, that's about it. If you have a properly functioning A/C, you shouldn't have to do anything special for it to work properly. I have a silver car with mirror tint on the 3 rear windows, and a black 2003 interior (cloth) if it matters.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
:thumbup:-Awesome write-up!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have black leather interior and my car is like a freaking oven lol. It acts up when its not fully warmed up though, I like to think this is because of the EMS though. I might give this a shot. Nowadays though it seems i don't really drive far enough to really need it though, just back and forth to work. By the time I get there my car is just getting warmed up lol.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Use a sunshade whenever possible
and keep your windows cracked just a bit.
and keep your sunroof tilted open a bit (for those that have one).

These three go together. The only thing a sunshade is good for on its own is for preventing direct radiation on the interior. By using a sunshade without cracking open the windows and sunroof you are in fact heating up the interior. The reason is simple: When light enters the car through the glass it enters as short wave. When it reflects off the sunshade surface however it becomes long wave. It can no longer escape back out the glass in long wave form so it keeps bouncing between glass and sunshade and this generates heat. With no windows/sunroof cracked the heated air has no way of escaping from the interior and just builds up. Hot air rises (think of hot air balloon) so by having escape routes at the top of the interior (windows/ sunroof) you help get the hot air out.

·
The Seventh Letter
5,130 Posts
Nice write up!

Idk if i'm immune to the socal heat, but I think I've only turned on my AC about once or twice this year :shrugs: ,other then that, windows down for the most part.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Idk if i'm immune to the socal heat, but I think I've only turned on my AC about once or twice this year :shrugs: ,other then that, windows down for the most part.
bah! with the humidity we get here, cold blowing AC is a MUST! You Socal members with your nice weather and your music...and your, 90210! :chuckles:

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The only issue I see is access.

I can't easily reach my passenger vent during driving and its a pain to do this BEFORE driving off. Usually the AC is more effective if your MOVING forward forcing air thru the condenser, so the trade off is equal.

I also don't like messing with the vents. They are set for at "best dispersal of air" for ME. Turning and twisting is a PIA and so is realining them.

Lazy? maybe. But even in the hottest weather, my AC does just fine within a few minutes of driving.

Nice write up. Good information. :wiggle:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, if you haven't done this already...if you don't have passenger in your car, you should always keep those closed. It gives you stronger air with the two vents in front of you as well as keeping the air cooler. By just opening the vents that you need, you can lower your fan motor to the lowest setting to not rob as much power from your engine.

Plus...do this once before you drive and you don't have to open them afterwards while you're driving. I hate twisting and turning things too. Once you've twist it to the setting that works best, just close it. When you open it again, you won't have to twist to find anything. Opening and closing the vents really shouldn't be that hard. Just a press close and a press open in most cases.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
nice write up, i've only closed 2 other vents but the ones on my side...
I'll definitely going to try this from now xD
thanks!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
if you have the time, take off the front bumper to clean the condenser. there's probably small rocks and bent fins. doing that will increase freon cooling efficiency.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.