NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been working on getting the axle nut off for about 5 days now. I've used a breaker bar ( stepped on it and bounced on it to put all my wieght into it ) I've used a chisel, punch, torched the b*tch. Bought a impact wrench and rented a huge compressor. B*tch still won't budge!!!! I think maybe a friend is gonna come over with a dremel and cut the bitch off, but until then...........is there any other way to get the axle out without taking the axle nut off?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just the passenger side axle. I need room to fit my turbo manifold in. Unless you have some amazing other way to fit that huge manifold in without taking the axle off....

·
Registered
659 Posts
i thought u could undo the DP/MP or loosen the engine cradle to get to the header, but dont quote me on that :gap:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got the header out. That was extremelly easy. You don't need much room to get that out. Making room for the big turbo manifold is the hard part.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The only way to take the axle off is by removing the axle nut. I got a really heavy "big ass drive"(3/4"?) breaker bar, it came off like butter. Just get a bigger breaker bar?:confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Soak it in wd-40 for awhile. And I got a huge breaker bar, then put another metal bar over the breaker bar to get more torque. That's how I took off my axle nut.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Get a can of PB blaster - spray it a couple of times during the cource of the day. Chisel out the staked in portion. Once the staked in portion is clear just use a big breaker bar. Have a friend put it in gear and stand on the brakes. One thing to try that many people don't think of is instead of leaning on the breaker bar stick the handle towards the front of the car and break it loose with by pulling up. Most people can exert more force that way then they can by just pushing down.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
Get a can of PB blaster - spray it a couple of times during the cource of the day. Chisel out the staked in portion. Once the staked in portion is clear just use a big breaker bar. Have a friend put it in gear and stand on the brakes. One thing to try that many people don't think of is instead of leaning on the breaker bar stick the handle towards the front of the car and break it loose with by pulling up. Most people can exert more force that way then they can by just pushing down.
That the way I do it. Oh and Deff chisel out the staked portion......sometimes it will flaten the axle threads when you backing out the nut.......Never did it on my honda :(.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LoL, u guys OBVIOUSLY didn't read my first post too well. I've soaked it in WD-40 and liquid wrench numerous times. I've chiseled out the stake days ago. I tried using a breaker bar, both pulling up on it and pushing down on it. I used a AIR IMPACT WRENCH, which is supposed to take off up to 260lb/tq. It is STILL on. I doubt that if i couldn't get it off with an impact wrench that I could get it off with a breaker bar. It's very frustrating..........I think im going to use a dremel tool to cut the nut off next.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
JCelica132 said:
LoL, u guys OBVIOUSLY didn't read my first post too well. I've soaked it in WD-40 and liquid wrench numerous times. I've chiseled out the stake days ago. I tried using a breaker bar, both pulling up on it and pushing down on it. I used a AIR IMPACT WRENCH, which is supposed to take off up to 260lb/tq. It is STILL on. I doubt that if i couldn't get it off with an impact wrench that I could get it off with a breaker bar. It's very frustrating..........I think im going to use a dremel tool to cut the nut off next.
I have a 250 ft lbs impact as well and I can apply WAY more torque myself using a breaker bar.

Then again my team-mates keep saying I have the strength of Zeus...

BTW - when you impacted it did you have anyone standing on the brakes? If not try it again - the value of the "impacts" is lost if the hub is allowed to move and absorb the energy from the gun.

also as an alternative leave the hug in place - just unbolt the caliper, let it hang, and then undo the 2 big bolts for the strut and the 3 lower fasteners to the lower control arm and just pop the whole hub assembly out.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Oh and drain your trans fluid before you take the axle out......trust me :D

How big is your breaker bar? My 6 footer has never let me down.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Mine? like 2.5 feet.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's about 2.5-3 feet. Someone told me that if i had anything worked on on my brakes, which it has, they coul dhave put down this blue stuff that will keep the nut locked under most conditions. Im dremeling out about 1/4 of the nut, I've got some new lubricant which is supposed to get that blue locking glue off, and then use the breaker bar again. Hope it works........

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
seriously, i'd like to know darkside........

u don't even have the manifold on ur car though? And ur not installing it either, DD is...........I bet you have to take the axle off to install the DD kit too.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by JCelica132
it's about 2.5-3 feet. Someone told me that if i had anything worked on on my brakes, which it has, they coul dhave put down this blue stuff that will keep the nut locked under most conditions. Im dremeling out about 1/4 of the nut, I've got some new lubricant which is supposed to get that blue locking glue off, and then use the breaker bar again. Hope it works........
How are you trying to crack the nut loose? You should have the car on teh ground with all 4 wheels on the ground. Take the center cap off of the wheel and then put the socken on the axle bolt.

I've never had a problem with that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts