NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
will this fix the problem i have? I have the 5 speed and when i shift between 1st and 2nd it squeeks. especially when im kind of rubbing it to the right side. but it doesnt squeek in any other gear shifting sequence.

I replaced my shifter linkage brass bushings to bearings and my shifting is a lil smother, but i have a new clutch so that could be it too. Just a suggestion to all that have a sqeak when shifting, and that want a smoother shifter.

i just got my car back from the shop today with a new ACT clutch and pressure plate, the shop that did the install used the same throughout bearing because i was told it didnt come with the clutch, im kicking myself in the ass now because its a 40 dollar part. dropping the tranny to just put in the bearing does not sound fun. anybody know the results of driving around with the sqeek? even the slightest bit of pressure on the clutch will make the sound go away. is it bad to drive the car like this?

WD 40 does not continue to lubricate after it dries, and would be a bad choice.

I asked my mechanic about this fix when I was having him look into the noise for me (at first he thought it was the throwout bearing, then said that because of how quickly the noise went away when you press the clutch that the bearing isn't actually bad). He said that it sounds like a bad idea because of the possibility mentioned earlier of getting the lithium grease on your clutch.

well i did this today and when i drove it it felt kind of weird. it felt like the car got weaker than before. when i shift to the next gear and punch the gas pedal it would stay at a certain rmp maybe like 5000 rpm for a second or two and it would take a while to reach lift. i didnt spray a whole lot just a couple of sprays around and inside of the boot. there was a little opening on both of the boots like a little straw poking out of the boot and i just stuck the straw into it and sprayed inside there. and there is this funny noise coming from the engine bay when i downshift to 1st gear like a little whirling sound. anyone ever had this problem? will it take a while for the shift linkage to get used to it?

i tried to do this to my GT 2 weeks and it's hard. the boots are tucked in and the stock airbox is in the way. there were several boots actually and i couldn't figure out which one coz i don't have a reference pic. no one was there to help me press the clutch and shift either... i ended up not doing it :(

Man thats what i get for trying to read a how-to off another celica board, I sprayed the hell out of both my shift linkages and all on the joints but i didnt even bother pulling the rubber back...

And i revived this thread because its usefull, dont flame or ask

i did mine few weeks ago and last night. shifting was a lot better.. definitely recommended. as a suggestion... take out your intake hose and airbox cover. put the gear into 2nd or 4th i belive so that the linkages don't block the boots.

I DO NOT AGREE with spraying lithium grease in the throwout arm boot, where the clutch cylinder is located. this will just spray grease all inside your bell housing. If your really crazy with it, it just might get into the clutch flywheel assmbly. This would not be good. If your going to grease something, do the clutch cylinder piston boot and the shifting assembly boot. Again i seriously do not suggest you spary lithium in your bellhousing, there is absolutely no benefit unless you grease exactly where the throw out arm pivots in the bellhouseing, which wouldnt be squeaking anyway IMO.

just my 2 cents
i doubt you are still on the forums.. but anyone that can answer it would help

which one then according to him should we grease? left or right circle?

Sorry to revive an old post guys but I was deciding whether to post a follow-up question or start a new thread altogether.

Do you have to shift through each gear while applying lithium grease? (1st -> add grease -> shift to 2nd -> add grease...and so on.

Or do you just goop the white lithium grease onto the shaft & shift through each gear to work it throughout?

Thanks guys
Donald

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.