NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another fabulous how-to guide from 2k. This time we are installing an aftermarket steering wheel and quick release hub. This guide is not exact for all makes and models of quick releases but it is guaranteed to work perfect with your NRG quick release.

This particular install involves a NRG v3 quick release short hub and C-ONE steering wheel. The estimated install time for this from start to finish is ~1 hour.

As usual this is only a guide. This guide worked for me to install these parts without any issues. I cannot guarantee that this will work for you. I also claim no responsibility for any damage that you cause to your car. It is very important to install these parts correctly or serious injury can occur upon test drive. Use this guide at your own risk. This guide will remove the airbag system from the steering wheel. You will have an air bag light. It also removes the auto off turn signals because of the clock spring removal. In this version of the guide you will not retain the use of your horn. I will update this guide to fix all of these issues when they have been resolved.

Lets start with the tools that you will need.

19mm 3/4" socket
3/4" Socket Wrench
10mm 3/8' Socket
6", 3/8" Extension
3/8" Socket Wrench
phillips Head Screw Driver
Star Bit 3/8" Socket Set
Hex Bit 3/8" Socket Set
Puller tool
2 - 8 x 1.25 x 60mm bolts

First things first. Remove the negative battery terminal, last thing we want is for you to explode your airbag and get knocked out. As funny as that would be for everyone else, lets try to avoid as much bodily injury as possible.

Next step is to remove the air bag. Use the star bit and 6" extension to remove the 2 bolts on either side of the steering wheel

the other is the direct opposite side. Now it does take a little bit of wiggling but the air bag will pop out.

now time to unplug the air bag

You now have to unplug the horn and cruise control system

get your 19mm socket and now unbolt the steering wheel. it takes a bit of force to break the nut free. just man up and remove it, or use an impact gun.

Once removed you are going to thread this back down 3-4 threads. The purpose of this is to prevent the steering wheel from hitting you when you remove it with the puller.

Attach the puller using the 2 8x12.5mm bolts

un bolt the puller, remove the nut, and remove the steering wheel.

Now you are going to have to remove the clock spring. There are clips on 3 locations that must be pulled back to remove this.

and it pops off

there are 2 clips holding this on. Remove these 2 clips and the assembly is free

Now the fun part begins. Get your quick release and get going with everything. In this picture I have already bolted the release of the hub to the steering wheel.

take the hub and bolt it to the steering column. Please take time to make sure the wheels are straight and the hub is lined up straight so everything is straight when the wheel bolts up. for the NRG v3 short hub the NRG goes on top.

connect the horn cables from the lock plate

bolt up the lock plate to the assembly. Make sure that the terminals on the hub for the horn are on the bottom and everything is lines up straight

slide the trim piece back over the column and screw it together.

Pop on your steering wheel and make sure everything lines up straight. If it does go for a drive and enjoy your bad ass cockpit you're just made. If its not straight you will want to straighten your wheels and re-align the hub.

·
fools runnin a Honda 2000
3,854 Posts
Very nice. Great addition to the forum. NRG makes great hub adapters and quick releases. Just pick a 6 bolt hole steering wheel and you're set.

·
is NSFW
6,093 Posts
Did the NRG kit come with an airbag relay?
Is your light on when you reconnected the battery?

BTW If anyone wants to keep their turn signals and horn but doesnt mind not having a quick release go with the Works Bell hub, its plug and play no headache dealing with wiring.
Works Bell hub also comes with a airbag relay.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

BTW If anyone wants to keep their turn signals and horn but doesnt mind not having a quick release go with the Works Bell hub, its plug and play no headache dealing with wiring.
I purchased mine second hand so I cannot say. I also have airbag light because front sensors are not connected so I cannot verify.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts

No it doesn't. But Works Bell costs more. If anyone can afford it they should get a Works Bell hub over a NRG hub

1 - 10 of 10 Posts