NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully this will be stickied,

List your car,
your tires (stock, street, drag, slicks)
suspention mods
transmission mods.

Heres my Launch manual for a 2000+ toyota celica on all the below listed tires. stock suspention.

on stock tires my best 60' was 2.25
on yoko es100's my best 60' was 2.17 (with lsd)
without LSD best 60' on yoko es100's was 2.202
on kumho ecsta v700(drag radiasl) my best 60' was 2.13(with LSD)

I know a thing or two about launching.

if your running 1/8's lower your tire pressure to about 15 psi(1/4 mile lower pressure to 18-20psi). heat up your tires in the water box for about 3 seconds, count one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, then drop the ebrake and as soon as you feel your tires hook up give it a quick stomp on the gas and push in the clutch and roll up to the staging beam(do not keep trying to peel out, it will only scrub off all the stickyness you just built up in the waterbox, and make your burnout pointless)

stage as shallow as possible (you get better times)This means as soon as the second set of double yellow lights light up step on the brakes.

rev up to around 6800-6500 rpms. hold that rpm(if you have a lightweight flywheel rev up to 7100 rpms so that your just banging off the limiter every second or so)

dump the clutch and simultaneously go 1/4 throttle, (at this point you should feel your tires grab and your car lurch forward) stay at 1/4 throttle and watch your rpms drop(this is okay and normal) at about 5000 rpms give it 1/2 throttle, (this is where if your spin at half throttle let off the gas completely for a split second and then floor it) if your tires hooked up by this point, then go full throttle, your rpms should be right around 4500 rpms.

This technique has been used by me and several celica owners and has dropped their 60's by an average 1-2tenths, depending on how bad your 60's were to begin with.

if you do everything right you can even get a 2.1 60' with good tires.

It just takes lots of practice.

you can also use this technique in almost every torque shy FWD vehicle i've driven.

peace.

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
00silverGTS6spd said:
Believe Him!!! He helped me get me 60' down to 2.217 with yoko es100's. I was previously hittinh low to high 2.3's.

I have 2000 GT-S 6spd with stock suspension and Yoko es100's!!!
this almost sounds like I should be selling this information on an infomircial!

LOL!

anywhooz back on topic,

please only post your launch technique. Matt how about posting how you launch your WRX for those 1.7 60's

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
Originally posted by Illusive

please only post your launch technique. Matt how about posting how you launch your WRX for those 1.7 60's
My best launch to date so far has been an 1.73 60 foot. It was still sweltering hot and I have bald on the thread tires (which actually ended themselves with some help the next day).

Staging:
The most important part of launching an AWD car is staging it. This will make the difference between you redlining, or you rolling during the start. I always stage shallow on the line with the ebrake about half way up.

Rev the engine:
5500rpm and I keep it there foot on clutch, car in gear, hand on the ebrake.

What to do when the light turns green?
When the light turns green the ebrake goes down and my foot will begin the slip the clutch. With my cars initial traction, it is incredible so you I will dump it at around 3500rpm and immediatly shift to second because it will hit redline in an instant.

If performed correctly you should it feel bite the floor instantly, maybe recieve a slight chirp but other than that you get will an incredible time slip, and the power of AWD.

This thursday I will go for 8.4's and a 1.65 60 foot.

STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is just my day. The only reason I just logged in was with the intent of creating a thread to find out how I should launch on my es100's. I'm going to the track on Friday. Hopefully my cai will be here by then. I ordered it almost three weeks ago.

Anyways, this thread was exactly what I was looking for. I almost forgot. A few weeks ago when I was at the track, they weren't letting anyone with fwd do burnouts in the water box. They kept waving me forward till my rear tires were in it. When they opened up at the beginning of the year they were letting me. WTF? Would you still recommend doing a burnout on the dry pavement before the stage?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
my "best" 60 foot was 2.311

which aint GREAT but it got me my 15.688. i heat the TIRE..lol up real good. then i dump the clutch at around 4500 but as soon as its spinning which is instant, i let off a lil bit till it starts moving forward.

I tried launching lower then pressin the clutch like 4000 rpms then release/dump at redline an did get a jolt forward, my TRAPS were higher but my E.T was worse cuz of the split second i spent slipping first AFTER the launch.

i myself need better tires and some more practice.

·
Registered
413 Posts
CAR: 2002 Celica GT (5'Speed)
TIRES: 215/45/17 Toyo Proxies
SUSPENSION MODS: Stock
TRANSMISSION MODS: Stock
OTHER MODS: Injen CAI + Gutted Interior

My best 60ft - 2.320
My best 330 - 6.640
My best 1/8 - 10.186
My best 1000 - 13.235
My best 1/4 - 15.828

I usually wet my tires in the water box. Then I press the clutch in, rev up to about 5000-5500K dump the clutch and go about 3/4 to full throttle till im up to the light tree. While im waiting for the light to turn green, I rev up to about 4K hold it and once green I dump the clutch and go full throttle. Does any of this sound weird to you track masters? Any help is appreciated :) I would love to be able to bring down my times in all catagories.:wave:

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
Sorry I was typing too fast and it came out in another language :gap:

Its fixed...

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Thats not how i launch. That seems rediculous to me also. A) you dont have to rev that high, B) you dont have to let off.

I have ezrida next to me, hes telling me he made 2.098 with BF drag radials. no LSD. i/e 90 degrees with 92% humidity. (we're in s fla)

He launches same as i do. rev up,(feather) relsease when the wheels catch, dump the bastard.

i made 15.3 with 125whp (in a GT) and a motor that was on its last leg. (blew up 2 weeks later)

I have a trd clutch, i get too much traction, and the car bangs down the track. I can only rev to 3k and launch. The stock clutch i was reving to 4. on a GTS i was launching at 4500, so it catches in lift.

·
Registered
413 Posts
"Thats not how i launch. That seems rediculous to me also."

Also? Who are you agreeing with and what are you disagreeing on?

Also, what mods did u have done @ the time of your 15.3 run.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Illusive, you finally did it!! (I know you were tired to explain it all the time!!) :D

gt-s 2k BFG drag radials

Usually, the pure drop in the 5k-6k(closer to 5k usually) range has given me the bests results with midly heated tires, no water box burnout. I pop the gas a bit when needed. Recently, 5k-6k dump, drop at 7k with very heated tires and slip from 7k gave me about the same 60ft ... I'm still confused!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
what mods do you have boyracer....i ran a 15.606 @88.xx with I/H/E on stock tires with a 2.3xx 60ft.....i dont know how to get in the low 15's.....maybe on a cooler nite...it was 80 with 88% humidity

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I have a '01 GT 5 spd

Half of the fla forum was there so they can vouch for me.

AEM pulley
s-afc
injen CAI
hotshot header
TRD JDM clutch
B&m SS
Tanabe super downs
tanabe strut tower brace
cusco lower tie bar
blown shocks.
unbolted exhaust
some weight reduction
Beat to hell stock bridgestones on the stock stealies. (crappy tires)
I think i had 17's in the back with falken zeix (****ty tires)

and like i said the motor was running like ass. with some DR i could prolly hit high 14's now, the new motor runs like a champ, but i havent raced it in 15k miles, not since the rebuild. Even is if i hit 14's its still a slow car. so i just never cared to try it again. i spent 4800 fixing it, i didnt want to make the same mistake twice. :)

it was about 70 degrees round this time of year a year ago in florida weather.

launched at 3k rpm. grabbed at 4500 (right around peak trq).

I also ran a friend of mines car that night. He has a GTS i hopped in it and spit out the a 9.6 1/8 mile faster than hed ever gotten. all it had was an intake, full interior, full tank of gas. i think i launched at 4500 and it grabbed right at cam switch. and he had parada's.....also a crappy tire

MY ADVICE (to anyone who wants to improve their time): Unbolt the muffler or take it completly off. its like night and day :)

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
well All I can say is I do almost exactly like illusive and My 60' changed dramatically Im stock pullin mid 9.6 in the 1/8 and 2.217 60' so I'd say that style works for me!!! But everyone will just have to experiment to see what their car does!!!

Originally posted by coOOlcelica
you guys really want this to be stickied?
Yes, please!! A lot of people ask this question!!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Sorry to be the negative one in the post, but your 60' should be 2.0xx at the very least to a 1.9xx. With an LSD and drag radials that shouldn't be a challenge in the least bit. I run 2.0xx's consistently with just drag radials, with a stock clutch. IMO you should try to launch a different way. Your car is far from its potential.

When I had the limiter I would run 2.1's with regualr tires. Nothing special...................

1 - 20 of 113 Posts