NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I may reiterate my question from above.

What reasons do the guys at the track have for not letting me do a fwd burnout? They won't let any fwd cars stop when thier front tires are in the water box. They keep waving me forward until my rear tires are in it.

I can do a burnout on the dry pavement but, would that do me any good?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Might just be me, but I thought reaction time didnt really matter? Isnt that just the time it takes you to react to the green light? All times dont start till you actually take off right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
BoyRacer, I see u got a 2.361 60ft. With all those mods listed on your 15.3 run. I got an Identical (slightly better) 60ft (2.320) with just a gutted back and an Injen CAI. Im also running 17's all the way around with 215/45/17 tires + Stock suspension. Ur GT just seemed to pull nicely after leaving the hole. Even though we used different launching techniques we managed similar times. (60fts) Ok im done :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I dump the clutch at 5.4-5.6 usually then give about 1/3 throttle. then just press the throttle a lil more so the revs go up a little higher just before 6k then when i get traction, floor it.
this has been my best way of launching, and i get awesome lauches if i do it perfectly, which is only about half the time.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Fr0z3NAc1D said:
BoyRacer, I see u got a 2.361 60ft. With all those mods listed on your 15.3 run. I got an Identical (slightly better) 60ft (2.320) with just a gutted back and an Injen CAI. Im also running 17's all the way around with 215/45/17 tires + Stock suspension. Ur GT just seemed to pull nicely after leaving the hole. Even though we used different launching techniques we managed similar times. (60fts) Ok im done :)
a 2.3 60' is decent but not a good launch. the car should be in the 2.2 with street tires. most cars can pull those times to 60' as long as its a manual. its pretty much 1-2 gear.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
EzRidA said:
Sorry to be the negative one in the post, but your 60' should be 2.0xx at the very least to a 1.9xx. With an LSD and drag radials that shouldn't be a challenge in the least bit. I run 2.0xx's consistently with just drag radials, with a stock clutch. IMO you should try to launch a different way. Your car is far from its potential.

When I had the limiter I would run 2.1's with regualr tires. Nothing special...................
one thing you neglected to realize is

A. The LSD is not going to dramatically drop your 60's unless all you did before was peg leg. (most celicas dont do that already)I averaged about a 1/2 tenth drop in 60' times.

B. I have a "lightweight" flywheel. Read any technical article on "lightweight" flyweels and you weel realize that the lost inertia due to the lighter mass makes you loose time off the line, only to be made up by accelerating faster down the track.

C. Have you launched a celica with the fidanza flywheel at the track i'm assuming no.

D. your best 60' in the database was 2.09 wich is only 0.04 seconds off my best 2.13 with the lightweight flywheel.

I'm not flaming, and I just wanted to let everyone else out there know that The way I launch works wonders for me. Add to the fact that I've got close to 20 days at the track and countless hours on the street in practice. Its safe to say I know a thing or two abot launching.

Maybe you should give my technique a try EZ and see if it helps you.

peace

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
If only I can get that 2.069 all the time ..

Evertbody's got their own way to launch. I regularly try different things in search of the best!! This thread is usefull since it tells some idea to try .. To be better, we must be opened minded IMO.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I have 150 track passes under my belt. The flywheels lost inerita usually hurts you if you can keep the revs up. Again IMO letting off the gas slightly is killing your 60'. Perhaps if you launched at a slightly different rpm and then increased the throttle more while slipping the clutch you'll hit 2.0's.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Adam, didnt you miss-shift and blow your motor? how did you know it was on its last leg? i knew mine wasnt running at full power cuz i had miss-shifted it like 15+ times before it actually blew up lol, but my new motor seems to run better and no miss-shifts, hopefully i can break into the 15s! :rofl:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Nope had problems with stalling. when we took the head off, the pistons were black, with deep lacerations, you could tell it had been detonating for awhile. I've posted the pics of the blown motor numerous times. The car was running way to lean for too long. Had problems with the idle. The biggest difference i notice with the the safc was the mid section, it was to lean stock, so i fattened it up a little. thats where i notice the biggest difference in terms of power. from 3-5k

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by EzRidA
I have 150 track passes under my belt. The flywheels lost inerita usually hurts you if you can keep the revs up. Again IMO letting off the gas slightly is killing your 60'. Perhaps if you launched at a slightly different rpm and then increased the throttle more while slipping the clutch you'll hit 2.0's.
So whats your technique since you have good launches what would you suggest to those of us who cant get a 2.0 ???

BTW Using the same technique I used before which is based off of illusives approach I have a new best of 2.190.... I know its no 2.0 but it's my best run so far!!! basically it comes down to knowing your car and practice. I have maybe 6 track days under me know SO Im def still a super noob and open for suggestions. So far Illusives idea worked for me but Im down to try something new!!!1 so EZ whats your technique and on what tires/mods??

·
Registered
143 Posts
i gotta work on my 60ft (2.4 sucks my ass). So I found a nice stretch of road with no traffic and revved to 6,500. I let half way off of the clutch and my driver's side tire lit up and then my LSD kicked in. I held the clutch 3/4 of the way for a sec and then let totally off. I thought it was ok...my question is should I have slipped the clutch some more? or does everyone's tires smoke some at launch?

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
I dont know but Mike is bone stock and ran a 9.43 :eek:

Also, Lightweight flywheels dramtically increase launch times (.05-.1) added to a 60 foot. But the variance in top end makes up for it, hence Jasons Trap speeds being as high as mine.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Mines never smoke at the launch. And I'm a dropper ..

Dunno what's happening here ..

21 - 40 of 113 Posts