NewCelica.org Forum banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I should pay to have this done along with the DD IM, Q45, injectors, and 3" intake ... or just sell it all.

I'll read it all AGAIN. But if going through all the original posts Jesse made and most of the others, finding a mid-tuned stock NA map of his, and assuming the posts about PFC-Tune, etc. aren't dated doesn't work then this **** really needs to be updated for the ADD of us, dammit.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I should pay to have this done along with the DD IM, Q45, injectors, and 3" intake ... or just sell it all.

I'll read it all AGAIN. But if going through all the original posts Jesse made and most of the others, finding a mid-tuned stock NA map of his, and assuming the posts about PFC-Tune, etc. aren't dated doesn't work then this **** really needs to be updated for the ADD of us, dammit.
With the map I sent you its a perfect starting point at least vvt and timing wise.
Then just get the fueling ok and you are good to go.

Or install all your parts and bring it to a known 2zz tuner.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The AFR map made beautiful sense, making things easier. With your map I had no way to relate fueling like I could with one set up for the AFR map and Jesse's spreadsheet. Throw in a weird feel at lift transition (due to the fueling change, perhaps?) and the knock, I thought starting with the one I found of Jesse's that used the AFR map would work well. The problem with that one is the way it needs to be rescaled, VVT revamped, etc.

It really doesn't matter where I start, I guess. I just sold myself on the idea that the INJ map with the AFR reference in the spreadsheet made getting fueling right MUCH easier. *Shrug* I won't get back to this 'til next week, I bet and will make up my mind by then.

I do greatly appreciate the help. I just felt more like I was flying blind and having to keep the AFR table referenced in my head when tuning fueling with any other map.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The airfuel target map you posted is decent, if you run those air fuel you car will be fine.

But at full throttle I'd start with a richer air fuel, or keep the timing low while you are getting the air fuel on point. Say 23degrees at full throttle while you are tuning, then add more timing later after the airfuel is all situated.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Check. Thanks. Will report back.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I thought I'd put some time into idle tuning and found something interesting I'd not read about. That doesn't mean it wasn't said, just that I don't remember seeing it. :D

With the O2 Feedback off, no matter how much fuel I take away at idle, AFR won't rise about 12.9-13. As soon as I turn on O2 Feedback it works towards 14.7. Is this normal behavior?

I've had occasional starting issues and I believe that's because I'm rich at those low rpm/load cells. Idle would run around 12-12.5. I've cut back fuel there until it just gets to 12.9-13 since I don't have any AFR visibility above 13 at idle. We'll see if that makes starts 100%.

So, basically, is this standard idle behavior?

Thanks.

·
Hardcore N/A
1,396 Posts
With the O2 Feedback off, no matter how much fuel I take away at idle, AFR won't rise about 12.9-13. As soon as I turn on O2 Feedback it works towards 14.7. Is this normal behavior?
When O2 feedback is on,yes.Watch out when modifying fuel from the INJ map because it is tricky.To tune fuel upon idle,make a log from fully cold till fans turn on and then off,with O2 off and fuel correction/temp all to 1.000.

I've had occasional starting issues and I believe that's because I'm rich at those low rpm/load cells. Idle would run around 12-12.5. I've cut back fuel there until it just gets to 12.9-13 since I don't have any AFR visibility above 13 at idle. We'll see if that makes starts 100%.
Maybe this and maybe Crancking fuel settings.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It just seems odd that it won't go above 13.0 no matter what I do. I'll run the full idle test. I didn't know all fuel correction for temp was to be set to 1.000 for that test, though?!

·
Registered
854 Posts
That's definitely odd behavior. With o2 feedback off you should be able to get the air fuel wherever you want it.

I'd make your inj map 1.000 like mentioned and tune from there with just the base fuel map. Makes things easier on yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
I'd make your inj map 1.000 like mentioned and tune from there with just the base fuel map. Makes things easier on yourself.
This!
That's what we've been telling him from the start!
The logic of tuning with the INJ map is flawed as the Power FC is trying to adjust with a narrow band O2 sensor. The only good it can do is stoic=14.7.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
That's definitely odd behavior. With o2 feedback off you should be able to get the air fuel wherever you want it.

INJ map is all 1.000. O2 Feedback off and even with Idle-IG Cntrl off along with it. Changes to INJ map or Base map have no impact. Ideas?

I can do the entire 20 minute warmup with temp corrections set to 1.000. But why can't I affect the AFR?????????

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
To tune fuel upon idle,make a log from fully cold till fans turn on and then off,with O2 off and fuel correction/temp all to 1.000.
That means the Water Temp Correction and INJ vs AirTemp entries all are to be set to 1.000, correct?

But leave the IGN vs WaterT, IGN vs AirT, and IGN vs WaterT Cool?

·
Registered
854 Posts
INJ map is all 1.000. O2 Feedback off and even with Idle-IG Cntrl off along with it. Changes to INJ map or Base map have no impact. Ideas?

I can do the entire 20 minute warmup with temp corrections set to 1.000. But why can't I affect the AFR?????????
Doing the idle learn process really doesn't matter like I've said before. No clue why its not allowing your to take away or add more fuel. If you'd like to send me your map you know my email.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I've not tuned idle yet, but doing some research found some consistency in how idle and fuel cut issues are resolved. Basically, my Base map was way too rich. Also, it seems recommended/common to increase timing in the first 5x5 cells as well.

With those changes, idle hits 14.7 easily when driving around and at a stop, and I've been able to drop the fuel cut settings for A/C and A/E both to more like default levels. She doesn't stink as badly when doing the idle learning, either. :D

Oh, and I'd swear the leaner idle fueling and lower F/C values have made shifting around town easier as well.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've not tuned idle yet, but doing some research found some consistency in how idle and fuel cut issues are resolved. Basically, my Base map was way too rich. Also, it seems recommended/common to increase timing in the first 5x5 cells as well.

With those changes, idle hits 14.7 easily when driving around and at a stop, and I've been able to drop the fuel cut settings for A/C and A/E both to more like default levels. She doesn't stink as badly when doing the idle learning, either. :D

Oh, and I'd swear the leaner idle fueling and lower F/C values have made shifting around town easier as well.
Nice work. Seems like you getting used to tuning it some, its always better than a basemap :).

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Going after this on my own would have failed miserably. I've searched high and low over a number of sites just to try to resolve this issue alone.

The shocking thing is the wild variations from map to map to map. But I'm saying I cut a HUGE amount out of the fuel in the first 5x5.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all of your help and patience. It's greatly appreciated!

181 - 200 of 240 Posts