NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of reclearing my C/F hood myself because the shops want $350 to do it. I'm using a orbital with 320 right now and its working to get down to the weave but slowly. Is there some type of stripper I can use that won't damage things?

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
i thought the hoods had a gel coat that was diff than normal clearcoating

·
Registered
83 Posts
I doubt there is any stripper that will remove the clear without damaging the weave. If the 320 is taking too long they use a rougher grit. But you don't need to remove all the clear. Just scuff the surface and reclear it. Too late now but you could have just wetsanded with 2000 then used rubbing compound to bring back the shine.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Ryle said:
but you could have just wetsanded with 2000 then used rubbing compound to bring back the shine.
this is what keeps saving my RMM cf blade :) eventually i will have to reclear it though.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
there is a topcoat remover spray can that is saved for colors...basically it will remove the topcoat only..not sure if that will work on the cf hood

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ryle said:
I doubt there is any stripper that will remove the clear without damaging the weave. If the 320 is taking too long they use a rougher grit. But you don't need to remove all the clear. Just scuff the surface and reclear it. Too late now but you could have just wetsanded with 2000 then used rubbing compound to bring back the shine.
I've got 180 but I don't think I need it, this is working fine just taking a little bit of time, but its worth saving the money. The hood was way past wetsanding and compunding. It is basically green from pollen, I got it back to black now i just need to get it even to respray. I'm not actually taking it down to the weave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts