NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up my intake rockershaft by drilling down too far. I have a new one and me and my buddy are currently trying to figure out how to get the rockershaft out. We already have the cams put and everything, we just need to figure out how to actually get it out. I can't seem to find this information anywhere

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,309 Posts
has anyone replaced their intake rocker shaft as a result of a broken lift bolt? does this increase the amount of work over the tsb considerably? i'm not sure there is enough room in the engine bay for it to slide off through the driver side... and also, does replacing the shaft require removing the cams and rocker arms? i'm trying really hard to find a good excuse not get rid of my car, this lift bolt problem is becoming a nightmare by the minute...
R
Theres room - you have to loosen up the fuse box is all.

You will have to remove the cams and rocker arms (rocker arms fall off as you push the shaft through

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,309 Posts
Ahh. That's the extent to which I can help. Presumably, you got out all of the bolt. If not, a small piece could be sticking up. The dealer ended up replacing the head when they got mine stuck. I seem to recall another thread where someone's got jammed. But, I don't remember the outcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh. That's the extent to which I can help. Presumably, you got out all of the bolt. If not, a small piece could be sticking up. The dealer ended up replacing the head when they got mine stuck. I seem to recall another thread where someone's got jammed. But, I don't remember the outcome.
I got it out and got it replaced, I go to test it and to my luck... P1963

·
Registered
518 Posts
After all the repairing you've done so far, try testing it out and seeing if there's a pattern.
Clear the code every time you're going to to leave the car to cool down completely, then try a series of tests to see if and when lift engages or not and what triggers the code or not.
Don't be afraid to try to engage lift if the engine is not up to temp either, as the computer will decide when it will engage or not.
Test systematically though.
I would probably wire a test light (back into the car) into the circuit that engages the lift solenoid so I could confirm while driving that the computer is turning it on when its supposed to. A high end scanner can data log all that stuff if you have one.
If the computer is asking for engagement that's not happening, then the issue is the valve itself.
If not, then you have to test the sensor inputs to see why the computer does not trigger the lift solenoid.
It's still a process. You sure have worked hard to figure it out so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tested all the wires going into the oil pressure switch and the solenoid. Both are good, so me and my buddy ran the solenoid test by applying 12v to it at idle. It did not stall, is that possibly the issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After all the repairing you've done so far, try testing it out and seeing if there's a pattern.
Clear the code every time you're going to to leave the car to cool down completely, then try a series of tests to see if and when lift engages or not and what triggers the code or not.
Don't be afraid to try to engage lift if the engine is not up to temp either, as the computer will decide when it will engage or not.
Test systematically though.
I would probably wire a test light (back into the car) into the circuit that engages the lift solenoid so I could confirm while driving that the computer is turning it on when its supposed to. A high end scanner can data log all that stuff if you have one.
If the computer is asking for engagement that's not happening, then the issue is the valve itself.
If not, then you have to test the sensor inputs to see why the computer does not trigger the lift solenoid.
It's still a process. You sure have worked hard to figure it out so far.
Also, I appreciate all the help, me and my one buddy have spent countless hours trying to fix this. I do like the idea of trying to run a led to my dash somehow

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not online frequently. You can send me an "eee-male" to dw dot tsg at sympatico dot ca if you want to chat that way.
Regarding the lift solenoid wiring, it is my understanding that the ECU provides ground to it when it wants to engage it. That keeps the ECU from having to provide high power and also reduces extra relays in the system.
Perhaps one of the experts here can confirm that or not. It is a simple solenoid though that is either on or off.
As it controls oil flow into the rocker shafts, all passages inside the solenoid valve must also be clear (not just the filter screen). Maybe a chunk of broken bolt is lodged inside it, causing the code.
Or it could be damaged. Bench test -> Blow some compressed air through the solenoid valve passages with it both switched on and off . Watch out for flying oil... See what it tells you.
Which rockershaft cap are you referring to?
If it's the one on the timing cover end, the rockershaft won't hold the oil pressure it receives from the solenoid (but the timing chain will be extra lubricated.) :)
Keep the faith.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the delayed reply. I am not online frequently. You can send me an "eee-male" to dw dot tsg at sympatico dot ca if you want to chat that way.
Regarding the lift solenoid wiring, it is my understanding that the ECU provides ground to it when it wants to engage it. That keeps the ECU from having to provide high power and also reduces extra relays in the system.
Perhaps one of the experts here can confirm that or not. It is a simple solenoid though that is either on or off.
As it controls oil flow into the rocker shafts, all passages inside the solenoid valve must also be clear (not just the filter screen). Maybe a chunk of broken bolt is lodged inside it, causing the code.
Or it could be damaged. Bench test -> Blow some compressed air through the solenoid valve passages with it both switched on and off . Watch out for flying oil... See what it tells you.
Which rockershaft cap are you referring to?
If it's the one on the timing cover end, the rockershaft won't hold the oil pressure it receives from the solenoid (but the timing chain will be extra lubricated.) :)
Keep the faith.
Did you get my email? I just want to make sure I put the email in right

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After trying lift many times it finialy started to work, I experienced lift for the first time today and it's amazing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts