NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I did a search and only found 1 thread from about 3 years ago on the subject: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288806&highlight=dim+gauge+cluster

Basically I want to know if there is a way to stop the LEDs in the fuel and temp gauge from dimming when you turn on the headlights, just like you do with the clock. I disabled my drl and drive during the day with my parking lights so this causes the cluster to dim during the day making it hard to read. I disabled the drl because I didn't want to use my hids during the day.

Noone seemed to be very confident in the other thread about it and I was wondering if anyone who is experienced in experimenting with the cluster has any thoughts on this.

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pm dooly. he is the gauge cluster god
Funny you say that, because I already pm'd him a link to this thread immediately after posting it up. He is my go to guy when it comes to all questions LED.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,427 Posts
A) Turn the parking lights OFF. There is no law requiring DRLs.
B) Turn the dimmer all the way up. There's only a minor difference between daytime & full brightness night time.
C) If you disable the cluster dimming externally, you disable dimming of all your dashboard lighting i.e. your center console & radio lighting will be full bright or completely off. There is probably a way to do it on the cluster board by cutting a trace. As the cluster lighting is separate from the rest of the dashboard. But, I do not recommend that the inexperienced try that.

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A) Turn the parking lights OFF. There is no law requiring DRLs.
B) Turn the dimmer all the way up. There's only a minor difference between daytime & full brightness night time.
C) If you disable the cluster dimming externally, you disable dimming of all your dashboard lighting i.e. your center console & radio lighting will be full bright or completely off. There is probably a way to do it on the cluster board by cutting a trace. As the cluster lighting is separate from the rest of the dashboard. But, I do not recommend that the inexperienced try that.
A) I know there is no law about DRLs, I just like driving with my parking lights on.

B) My dimmer is all they way up and I don't like the difference from the headlights being on or off.

C) This is what I want to know. I'm experienced with circuits, soldering, and have other electrical knowledge. Just don't know too much about the cluster and don't want to mess something up by my own experimenting. I was hoping someone would have this knowledge already or would be able to figure it out.

Not worried about the rest of the dash not dimming. I have my AC controls wrapped, already did the clock mod so it doesn't dim, and I have an aftermarket radio.

Thanks for the tips though.:thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Turn the headlight switch off

Remove the cluster leaving the harness plugged in

With a multimeter meter the wire (will likely have to test a lot of them) that either shows negative or positive when the switch is turned to on

Once found, cut that wire in half and insulate both ends

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^That's the only thing I could think of too. I'm just worried if I cut the wire something else could go wrong.

Hoping somebody would have done this already, I guess I might be the first.:shrugs:

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would greatly appreciate it Sean.

I want to figure this out before I install the new gauge face and do the led swap. Trying to find some time when I don't have to drive the celica. Been busy with my move and unpacking boxes lately and don't have any free time.

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I might pull the multimeter out this weekend if I have time to change my gauge face and solder in the new leds. Hopefully I find something.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Maybe finally the way to go is to change interior LEDS with other more bright. This will satisfy your luminosity needs. I added more LEDs than stock and now at night is TOO bright, i usually dim it lower. If you are good with soldering go for it, you ll be satisfied. As per thread you posted if you remove the cable then you have problems.

·
15,427 Posts
Could always just run a separate switch & relay for the marker lights. You could even isolate to just the HL ones.

·
Black & Yellow
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could always just run a separate switch & relay for the marker lights. You could even isolate to just the HL ones.
Seems like too much trouble, but a good idea to get around the situation. Maybe one day if I get bored enough I will look into this when it's not my DD.

·
15,427 Posts
Seems like too much trouble
Easier than reverse engineering the cluster. If I had a spare I could find the trace to cut. But, I'd feel bad for the next owner trying to figure out what was done.

You can try removing the Green/Black wire on cluster connector B pin 4. I suggest just backing out the pin vs. cutting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts