NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to car maintenance, as this beautiful 5-speed celica is my first car to call my own. I am a high school senior and looking to pursue automotive engineering in college, so I am hoping to perform a lot of the needed maintenance on this vehicle myself/with a buddy.
One of the first things I would like to do is fix the parking brake. I have looked far and wide across the internet and need a few questions answered: First, do I need one shoe or two from rockauto.com? I know this is a dumb question, but I don't want to accidentally order the wrong quantity. Second, is the only piece I need the shoe to make the parking brake work again? Or do I need one of the hardware kits in case I break something (which I probably will, lol). Finally, are there any install guides on the internet for the 5th gen Celica? Or am I gonna have to figure this out on my own?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Couple things here,

This is a forum for the 7th gen Celica (2000-2005) so most people don't have much experience with those Celicas. You'd be better off asking the same question on one of the 6th gen forums. Also even if this forum was for the 6th gen it is pretty much dead nowadays so there isn't much help to be found here.

Second of all, get a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. Chilton has an online version here http://repair.chiltondiy.com/Pub/DIY/Product.aspx?ca=Repair&b=7978

Thirdly, you may not even need to get new shoes as that may not even be your problem. It is more likely you just need to adjust the parking brake and inspect the connectors to make sure everything is hooked up, not broken, and properly lubricated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just look at the thickness of the rear shoes...if they have allot of pad left you most likely just need them adjusted...that was my issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts