NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The fact that the corolla 2ZZ engine has a little better tuning is not gonna compensate for the extra pounds that the corolla has... given equal drivers, and equal mods ---> the celica should take the rolla.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by matadorgts
The fact that the corolla 2ZZ engine has a little better tuning is not gonna compensate for the extra pounds that the corolla has... given equal drivers, and equal mods ---> the celica should take the rolla.
:werd:, but actually not by much if both driven correctly.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by My Sixth Gear
the corolla engine isn't better tuned than the GTS GTS should win hands down
actually. It is better tuned for low end. It has 170 HP, 10 less than the GTS but distributes more power throughout.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
actually. It is better tuned for low end. It has 170 HP, 10 less than the GTS but distributes more power throughout.
so then... the corolla will win? one of my guy's guy got one and i wanna race him sometime...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Originally posted by Another_Ricer
so then... the corolla will win? one of my guy's guy got one and i wanna race him sometime...
get it on video too..and post it!!!!!

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
No. The car is slightly heavier lacking 10 HP where it counts on the 2ZZ, I am just saying it would be close with the edge to the GTS. An XRS Corolla will most likely be capable of a 15.1-15.0

·
Registered
154 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
No. The car is slightly heavier lacking 10 HP where it counts on the 2ZZ, I am just saying it would be close with the edge to the GTS. An XRS Corolla will most likely be capable of a 15.1-15.0
And a stock Celica GTS is no better than 15.1-15.0 either, so they must be equal.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Only if you race while shifting before lift :) The tune one the the rolla gives it a LITTLE bit more bottom end for daily driving. I've never raced my car and not stayed in lift the whole time........where I should be to get any power out of it.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by 03SilverGTS
And a stock Celica GTS is no better than 15.1-15.0 either, so they must be equal.
Well I was using the best possible time for an XRS. The GTS can squeeze 2-3 more tenths out.

The point is, these lil BS are getting faster than the 5 year old celica. SRT-4'S, WRX'S, etc. They are affordable beasts. the 2.5 Legacy, damn sleeper. The up and coming 4g eclipse is supposedly going to be a beast.

Cars are getting progressively faster and cheaper each year, making the purchase of an 04 GTS unjustifiable.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
A race is tipically high end power. 10 HP less for the rolla and more weight will kill it. Especially given how the weight matters for our cars .. I would believe the throw of the shifter between gears would be wider for the rolla (althought not confirmed ..). Then there's the tire factor but I would hope the rolla has grippy tires from factory (and knowing toyota, they prolly did put some grippy tires). Does it have 17 inches wheels like the matrix btw??

Nonetheless, I think the rolla is more suited for the 2zz than the heavier matrix ..

NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
:werd:, but actually not by much if both driven correctly.
:werd: You think??

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Yes. I mean the Corolla XRX weighs what? 100 more lbs? and has 10 less hp.

id say thats 2-3 tenths max.

·
Registered
154 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
Well I was using the best possible time for an XRS. The GTS can squeeze 2-3 more tenths out.

The point is, these lil BS are getting faster than the 5 year old celica. SRT-4'S, WRX'S, etc. They are affordable beasts. the 2.5 Legacy, damn sleeper. The up and coming 4g eclipse is supposedly going to be a beast.

Cars are getting progressively faster and cheaper each year, making the purchase of an 04 GTS unjustifiable.
Good points man.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Anyways, I got my 6000 th post. I shall now go to bed. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
the rollas lift engages at around 6400(at least the one i drove) and goes to 8200. so even for the best of drivers it is much harder to keep in lift. i would say that a gts has the edge over the rolla. anyone in the houston area can come down to Mike Calvert Toyota and drive the one we got...just ask for Mike Gonzales and i well let you take it for a spin. it looks pretty good but for a sticker price of just over 20k i would not buy it.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by n/xgts
the rollas lift engages at around 6400(at least the one i drove) and goes to 8200. so even for the best of drivers it is much harder to keep in lift. i would say that a gts has the edge over the rolla. anyone in the houston area can come down to Mike Calvert Toyota and drive the one we got...just ask for Mike Gonzales and i well let you take it for a spin. it looks pretty good but for a sticker price of just over 20k i would not buy it.
GTS is more money for more of the same really.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
So you think a heavier car with a pansy detuned version of the same motor is going to be just as fast???? interesting.

they didnt make the XRS for speed plain and simple.

IMO celica gts > corolla xrs anytime!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts