NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a stupid question...since I'm new to this I think I'm entitled to that :)
I got a 2003 GTS and it states that it comes with 180 HP stock, when I read the posts here it says it's 160 hp...that looks to me more like a GT. Did they up the HP on my model or what's the story?
Also the TRD Exhaust is supposed to add 14 hp (which I tend to believe because the boost I got was pretty immense...) so now I'm at 195...now I added the AEM CAI which is supposed to add 10 hp so by now I'm at 205 hp and my baby flys...

So are these numbers correct or did I fall for a marketing trick?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe that it is 160HP to the wheels, yes. As for the TRD exaust, it's closer to 6-7. Now the CAI I'm not too sure about, but I think +10 is fairly close. Comes out to around 176-177 total.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Yeah, with any manual tranny you can expect to lose about 10-15% of the power to the transmission. So in your case:
180 + 7 (trd exhaust) + 10 (aem CAI) = 197 - 12.5% = (about) 172 HP.

Now keep in mind that numbers on paper (or on a computer) rarely hold true in real life... if you want to know how much power your celi is putting to the ground.... do a few dyno runs!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am going to dyno my car in the next week. Stock t-sports have shown numbers from 175 to 185 whp on different dynos and different mileage. I am expecting to see at least 190 hp at the wheels. Hopefully the trial header will work efficiently with a tanabe exhaust. With some Unorthodox racing pulleys and a fuel mod (fifth injector) with piggyback ECU, I should be in the 200 something area with 99+ octane fuel. I can't wait for cams to come out for the 2zzge.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
mrtomcat,

Basically, just learn how to differentiate Horsepower measured AT THE WHEELS ( numbers from a Dynojet dyno are usually measured this way) and Horspower measured AT THE CRANK OR AT THE FLYWHEEL (numbers manufacturers use such as the 180 HP rating from Toyota are measured this way in the U.S.). If you don't get confused between these two different measurements, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So how much hp lost for Auto celica?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts