NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hydrolock Survey for ALL CAI users, whether or not you've hydrolocked!

The following is a very brief survey designed to get better sense of the rate of hydrolock for Celicas. Please take a moment to to respond to each question. No need to copy and paste the questions themselves, just the data will do ;)

(1) Have you hydrolocked your Celica? -- YES or NO

(2) Do you have a Cold Air Intake -- YES or NO

(3) If you hydrolocked, how many times have you hydrolocked? -- # or NA

(4) If you hydrolocked, was the engine destroyed? -- YES or NO or NA

(5) Do you have your stock wheel well plastics installed? -- YES, NO, or NA

Also indicate whether you have taken additional precautions to protect filter, such as extra shielding, plug any holes in plastic, etc.

(6) If you like, feel free to briefly describe the specific circumstances that led up to the hydrolock or post a link to relevant thread.

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
Jordan, you suck at surveys.

Do a poll of yes/no, and then have people explain the circumstance in their post. Sheesh. :chuckles:

BTW, I have a CAI and no instances of hydrolocking. I taped up the holes in my wheel well, have the filter shield, and do not drive into lakes.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
1) No

Probably because when I come up to puddle that I think might hydrolock my car
I always take my foot off the gas and coast thru it. If you think about it, water is
a lot less likely travel up thru the intake pipe if the throttle is shut.

·
Registered
911 Posts
(1) No

(2) C, now I have a different set up with the Turbo...

(3) NA

(4) NA

(5) Yes, but they are modified...I had to cut away a lot of it for piping...I had a hole in it with my Cold Air

(6) NA

·
Banned
751 Posts
1) No
2) CAI
5) NO
6) No, The bypass valve wont fit on our cars. Just a waste of money.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beast said:
Jordan, you suck at surveys.

Do a poll of yes/no, and then have people explain the circumstance in their post. Sheesh. :chuckles:

BTW, I have a CAI and no instances of hydrolocking. I taped up the holes in my wheel well, have the filter shield, and do not drive into lakes.
No -- that won't do. :nono: I wanted to do it the automated way, but the survey system on NC.org kinda sucks. it can't record multiple responses, and even if I just went with a single "yes" or "no" I won't be able to match people's open end responses to their dichotomous response (if they provide them).

Even if the modal answer is "no" by a wide margin, we need to establish that the "no" people also have an after market intake, else all we know is that most people don't hydrolock, which may be because they don't have CAI's.

I could have made this a survey JUST for people who have CAI's, but supposedly you can hydrolock even with an SRI if you try hard enough, or so I

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
1.) Yes
2.) Cold Air
3.) Probably 8-9
4.) Nope, engines fine, just shut it off and dry it out.
5.) Nope, long gone.
6.) Nope.
7.) MD/VA Has bad roadways in some parts with terrible drainage. That and sometimes it'll flash flood or flash storm and you really don't have time to do anything.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SocalTRDgt said:
wheres all the people that hydrolocked?

btw no cai (AEM) 5.yes
Ironically, there were several recent hydrolock threads, which is what inspired me to do this, but I don't think any of the people who posted those threads have posted here...

We'll lose a good bit of information from people who hydrolocked, killed the engine and parted out the Celica too...

·
Registered
312 Posts
1- NO
2- CAI
3- No
4- NO
5- Yes and I added a stainless steal plate to block the holes and a guard infront of the filter (TRD Bumper with huge holes)
6- NO

1 - 20 of 61 Posts