NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about ready to buy an AEM cai for my gts but have seen far to many post about people hydrolocking their rides. What are the chances of this and does it really require you going through like a foot of water or could a deep puddle do it? Also I will be getting an AEM < If you own one how do you like it?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
from all the thread from b4..basically you need to have the filter submerged. w/ just rain or a puddle your fine.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:moved:

You stand a much lesser chance of hydrolocking with your wheel well plastics intact. Still won't stop you from hydrolocking with the filter submerged (at least 1' of water), but you won't have to worry about driving through any kind of normal rain. Just don't go through flooded roads and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
kylebGTS said:
Im about ready to buy an AEM cai for my gts but have seen far to many post about people hydrolocking their rides.
I think I have seen 3 of these threads in all of the time I have been here.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
slidr said:
kylebGTS said:
Im about ready to buy an AEM cai for my gts but have seen far to many post about people hydrolocking their rides.
I think I have seen 3 of these threads in all of the time I have been here.
if u search for it you'd see..there are a lot of threads about this. when iwas buyin a cai for my gt i saw numerous threads about it as well.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
use the search function

Truthfully, there's not enough data to know. Maybe I'll whip up a survey...
There doesn't need to be any "data" from users. It is physics. If rainwater is getting onto the filter it shouldn't matter...the filter would have to be submerged in water and most likely the engine would have to be reved up to create more pressure to suck up the water. Most of the people that have hydrolocked have hit deep puddles or something like that. But the way that the CAI is installed should prevent rain water from "drenching" the filter. And if you want to be absolutely sure...you can always block up the holes in the wheel well and get a metal shield around the filter.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
What you're really seeing is far too many stupid people. The last guy I saw who hydrolocked his car, decided he "needed" to drive his car through a puddle that he knew was deep enough to submerge the intake. So basically, a CAI is not idiot proof. If you manage to hydrolock your car, you're an idiot, I don't care how smart your mom says you are.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hydro locked my motor over the weekend. We had a heavy rainfall. Me and some friends were goin to the local blockbuster. There was a HUGE puddle in the middle of the lane that i could not see. I know....... How can you not see a HUGE puddle right in front of you??? But we could not see it. My friends commented on someones tire being flat all the way to the rim. But it was really just under some water. So even they did not see it. anyway, long story short, my rods are bent now and its gonna end up costing me alot of money. So the risk is up to you.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
for arguments sake, if we were in the situation where we suddenly noticed a deep puddle in front of us, if the engine was quickly turned off, then back on again after the puddle, it shouldnt hydrolock should it? perhaps be a little 'coughy' because the filter would be drenched...?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Jackman00GTS said:
I hydro locked my motor over the weekend. We had a heavy rainfall. Me and some friends were goin to the local blockbuster. There was a HUGE puddle in the middle of the lane that i could not see. I know....... How can you not see a HUGE puddle right in front of you??? But we could not see it. My friends commented on someones tire being flat all the way to the rim. But it was really just under some water. So even they did not see it. anyway, long story short, my rods are bent now and its gonna end up costing me alot of money. So the risk is up to you.
Did you have your wheel well plastics on?
Celicasaur said:
for arguments sake, if we were in the situation where we suddenly noticed a deep puddle in front of us, if the engine was quickly turned off, then back on again after the puddle, it shouldnt hydrolock should it? perhaps be a little 'coughy' because the filter would be drenched...?
That would be fine, but there's a good chance you might get stuck in the middle of the puddle, depending on how big it is.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Just don't drive hard when it's raining, CAI is wet, going through the water..
If there is signs of hydrolocking, just drive slow or don't drive the car....
Let it dry for day or two...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Jesse IL said:
What you're really seeing is far too many stupid people. The last guy I saw who hydrolocked his car, decided he "needed" to drive his car through a puddle that he knew was deep enough to submerge the intake. So basically, a CAI is not idiot proof. If you manage to hydrolock your car, you're an idiot, I don't care how smart your mom says you are.
haha. Very well put. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
ok..and why does the bypass valve not work with our cars? still dont understand that...someone explain

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
And so it goes ... The content of this exchange is exactly why I was curious to get some data. I posted a cheesy little survey to address this issue last night; please contribute if you haven't already.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
God look what I started :rolleyes: now every other thread is about hydrolock. Thanks everyone for your input though

·
Registered
70 Posts
kylebGTS, there are a few stickies about CAI. Apparently, AEM provides the most low down torque while Injen provides more HP? Meaning that the Injen is better for top speed and the AEM is better for acceleration (Feel free to correct if I'm wrong). Anyways, why do people use sheet metal to block the holes in the wheel well as opposed to another plastic cover?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts