NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alleged Hyundai Sonata YF Sudden Acceleration Crash at 117km/h Captured on Video
The said car is the latest generation Hyundai Sonata YF sedan.

What makes this incident of particular interest is that it was captured on film by a dashboard mounted camera in the Sonata, which is something we don't remember seeing before in crashes relating or alleged to be related to sticky accelerator pedals.

The 30-second long clip shows the Korean sedan stopped at a light with a previous generation Hyundai standing in front when the Sonata appears to accelerate. At this point, we hear a conversation from the driver and passengers as well as a sound that may or may not be from the handbrake being lifted.

From there on, the Korean sedan appears to accelerate uncontrollably with the driver passing several red lights, narrowly avoiding a couple of crashes only to end up rear-ending a stopped car at a speed of 117km/h (72mph) - at least according to the GPS data displayed on the video.

Korean news sites said that the Daegu Nambu Police is investigating the accident and has asked the National Institute of Scientific Investigation for help.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YgtUDFhOiHc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I find it weird that:

1st: Guy was taping his "drive" on heavy traffic?
2nd: How the hell did the driver had the reflexes to avoid that first car when the car accelerated like that? We would have all crashed trying to figure out wth was going on.

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
We would have all crashed trying to figure out wth was going on.
Hopefully not. When something odd happens when I'm driving, I'm still alert enough to avoid cars/people/items/pot holes ect.

But other than that, was odd. This is when people need to learn to slam on the brake and throw it in neutral. Surprisingly, I was never taught that in Drivers Ed :faint:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
I watched a couple of times. I think the driver panicked when the car started moving forward and instead of slamming the brakes he slammed the gas and kept it planted until crashing.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Hopefully not. When something odd happens when I'm driving, I'm still alert enough to avoid cars/people/items/pot holes ect.

But other than that, was odd. This is when people need to learn to slam on the brake and throw it in neutral. Surprisingly, I was never taught that in Drivers Ed :faint:
So you have had many run away cars?

It is easy to SAY that. Doing it, well? Seems like some people just panic.

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
So you have had many run away cars?
Once actually, in the celica. It was however, my fault. My floor mat was worn out with a big hole. Replaced them with random aftermarket ones. The aftermarket didn't have the hole for the piece to stop it from sliding. It slid up onto the pedal while I was driving.

Edit: wouldn't call it 'running away' though.

Seems like some people just panic.

A lot of people do. I blame poor licensing requirements and shitty drivers ed.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Think the accelerator got stuck in the leftover doggy bag. :D

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
Would have done less damage if they had just hit the first car...
yep, which leads to...
How the hell did the driver had the reflexes to avoid that first car when the car accelerated like that? We would have all crashed trying to figure out wth was going on.
yep, but people are prone to panic and make extremely stupid and dangerous decisions such as...
panicked when the car started moving forward and instead of slamming the brakes he slammed the gas and kept it planted until crashing.
Saw a woman blabbing to her passenger as she was coming on the freeway, turn and look at a SUV next to her, panic for no reason, scream and turn the wheel as hard to the other direction as possible. She bounded off the guard rail and cut back across traffic with her hands off the wheel and still screaming. Caused an 8 car accident. Not entirely sure but there might have been a fatality. If I was a cop I would have done everything in my power to permanently revoke that woman's license.

·
Super Moderator
44,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dCODwFTo_H0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AJOqUFjMfcY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woman's Kia Sorento Gas Pedal gets Stuck Sending her on a 120mph Horror Ride
Given the sticky situation she was in, Lauri Ulvestad of Ames, Iowa, should consider herself extremely lucky for making it out alive when the accelerator pedal of her 2011 Kia Sorento crossover got jammed as she was driving up Interstate 35 in Missouri last week.

The 47-year old woman told KCCI-TV in Des Moines that she tried everything from turning off the key, to shifting out of drive and slamming on the brakes, but nothing worked.

"I knew I was going to die," said Ulvestad. "I didn't have any doubt about. I really thought I was going to die ... and no matter what I did, I couldn't slow it down."

Her only option was to call 911 and ask for help. The sheriff's deputies and state troopers responded immediately attempted to shift traffic in her path as the woman tried to avoid other vehicles in front of her while reaching speeds of up 120mph (193 km/h).

"It was accelerating faster and faster. And I was looking at my GPS, and the number was going up and up and up," she said. "My foot isn't even on the accelerator. The emergency brake is on all the way. I'm trying to move the brake, but it's not working."

After a terrifying 59 miles (94 kilometers) and 35 minutes, the woman managed to release the accelerator and hit the brake and finally come to a stop ending the wild ride.

Patrol spokesperson Sheldon Lyon gave praise to the woman for the way she handled the situation.

"Not only to drive fast, but to go into the median, pull back up into the passing lane and hit that asphalt lip — and not overcorrect — it was really amazing to see her do that repeatedly," Lyon told CBS News.

However, Lyon pointed out that he was also disappointed at some drivers who stayed on the left lane of the interstate and didn't move over immediately even when approached by the police cars.

"Every close call was caused by people who wouldn't get out of the way for the lights and sirens," said Lyons. "They ended up with near misses several times."

Kia said that it is looking into the incident and plans to release a statement.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
yep, saw that on the news. shit's scary son.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts