NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not taking this thing to a mechanic or the dealership b/c I don't have 2 grand to drop on this problem.

I bought my car for extremely cheap knowing that it had some problems. I fixed most of those and now I'm on my last 2 problems before this thing is basically brand new (minus the steering rack).

PROBLEM #1: SRS light is blinking at all times. When I turn my car on the SRS light comes on for the 6 seconds, goes out for a few seconds and then starts flashing the warning codes (14, 15, 31, 54, 64, 74). I had the codes cleared once by toyota for free but my friend doesn't work there anymore so no more free clearing. I tried the alternating OBD port clearing method but I did it for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it to clear. I've been through both service manuals at least 4 times and can't figure this out. I tested the resistance of the clock spring and that checked out, the next test was to connect the + and - wires of the clockspring to airbag connector and then do the airbag reset which I can't do, so I'm stuck.

Codes: 14: Short in D squib circuit (drivers airbag, clockspring, airbag sensor assembly, wire harness)
15: Front airbag sensor (RH) malfunction (Front airbag sensor (RH), airbag sensor assembly, instrument panel, engine room #2 harness)
31: Airbag sensor assembly malfunction (airbag sensor assembly)
54: Open in P squib circuit (Front passenger airbag, airbag sensor assembly, wire harness)
64: Open in P/T squib (RH) circuit (Seat belt pretensioner (RH), Airbag sensor assembly, wire harness)
74: Open in P/T squib (LH) circuit (Seat belt pretensioner (LH), Airbag sensor assembly, wire harness)

Checked the front RH airbag sensor and it looks good, no dents scratches etc. and the connection is tight. Seeing as all the codes say the airbag computer could be the fault I thought about replacing it, but I want to test as much as I can and not just throw parts at it. I was also thinking, if the airbag sensor assembly (computer) was faulty would it still throw out these codes? Hard to tell b/c the manual sends me to fixing my cluster if the codes are put out without having to connect the OBD terminals but I know it's not my cluster.
Maybe the fact that it's flashing the codes without the terminals being connected is a sign that the airbag computer is bad?? Idk, all I know is that my airbags won't deploy if I get in an accident....

Problem #2: My cruise light is constantly flashing. Doesn't change no matter what buttons I use on my cruise switch, doesn't engage or anything. It appears to be putting out the "normal" code which is .25 second flashes but I've tried removing the ecu and doing the DTC clearing procedures and neither help.

I also have a 29 pin connector running behind the dash from passenger side to driver side that is just wrapped around the other wires, not in use. It ends just behind the steering wheel but wouldn't be long enough to reach any of the switches up there (maybe a stock alarm??).

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK YOU'RE WRONG OR HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! ANY EXTRA BRAIN POWER IS DESPERATELY NEEDED!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or if you know of a scan tool that's not too expensive that can erase/reset our airbag codes that would be awesome as well!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ummmmmmmm take out the bulb for the air bag and the cruis control and be happy you got a car for so cheap
That works for the cruise b/c that's not absolutely necessary although I do drive from orlando to niceville (panhandle of florida) which is about a 6 hour highway drive each way every 1 or 2 months.

But I've been driving it for about 2 years now without working airbags. I'm finishing up college, have been engaged for about a year, and will be starting a family in the next 2-3 years and don't want to be driving my fiance and future family around in a car with no working airbags.

·
fuck the police
252 Posts
ok well the air bags are probobly a ground, a loose wire, or a connecter not pluged in with how many errors you got its probobly somthing simple that is needed for the system to work.

same thing with the cruise. start tracing wires.

i personaly dont do air bags, this is just my best geuss.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking the same thing about the airbag system but idk. I bought my car from the same dealership my girl got her's and she had hers for 2 years and no problems before I bought mine, and to this day the only thing I've had to replace on hers was an alternator.

The dealership told me I'd need new shocks which I would've replaced anyway to get a drop, new tires, new motor mount, new front bumper, missing 2 of the interior plastic pieces and had ~170k. Got it for cheap and did an engine swap, fixed everything except for the rear motor mount. When I replaced my cluster with my new led mod one, I found out that the stealership had removed the airbag and cruise lights from the stock cluster. I ran a carfax before I bought it and it was clean but I found a picture of my car with the vin on a junkyard website. It appeared as though it was in an accident in the front passenger fender but didn't look too serious. My main problem is that I can go through all the diagnostics and replace a part, but if I can't clear the codes to see if that fixed the code, I will never know if the problem is fixed

·
Chronic Celica Owner
409 Posts
Anytime you get multiple codes that aren't making sense in the same system usually means bad computer or ground. Those are the only two things that are related to all the possible parts of the system. I don't know if you tried getting to the airbag computer (if there is a separate computer) but I would pull the connection and spray contact cleaner in it, and make sure that the computer is grounded solid.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya. I was on the same track that you are. I have every single piece of plastic out of my car except for the 1 piece dash but I can't reach in there to unplug the connections. I need to go get a torx socket. Literally the only thing I can think is that the airbag computer is bad but b/c of the sketchy stuff done by the dealership idk. Also why would the srs computer only spit out those specific codes and not anything else?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the connection from the cruise switch to the clock spring, clockspring to the cruise computer, and the connection at the actuator. All are good

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. I had to take a day off b/c it was pouring here. I'm about to head out to the car and start checking the connections at the airbag control module

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might have found the problem, but I'm stuck. I'm using this diagram out of the manual (below) but I've gone through both manuals and for the life of me I can not find the diagram for the interior J/B's. I need the IH 2 and IF 4 to test the connections and also the J/C J3. I'm also not sure what IE is inside the triangle??

·
Registered
520 Posts
Look in the passenger side kick panel and make sure the wiring harness connection is sound. That's where the RF wiring connects into the centre harness.
Try unplugging/replugging in the airbag computer located behind the centre console in amongst the shifter cables. There is a wiring junction box to its left and a fuse box to its right and sitting right above it.
Also try disconnecting the LF airbag sensor and see if it trips a code for it too.
The wiring behind the dash is a spaghetti nightmare that is split into sections for easy installation at the factory but miserable diagnosis of any issue after that.
My 5 Canadian cents. Dentman

·
2zz
566 Posts
Look in the passenger side kick panel and make sure the wiring harness connection is sound. That's where the RF wiring connects into the centre harness.
Try unplugging/replugging in the airbag computer located behind the centre console in amongst the shifter cables. There is a wiring junction box to its left and a fuse box to its right and sitting right above it.
Also try disconnecting the LF airbag sensor and see if it trips a code for it too.
The wiring behind the dash is a spaghetti nightmare that is split into sections for easy installation at the factory but miserable diagnosis of any issue after that.
My 5 Canadian cents. Dentman
You have been a member since 2012 and this is your first post??

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been a RWD Celica racer guy for the last 20 years.
I made a post or two last fall looking for information about the 7th gen cars. Now I have 3 of these FWD Celicas (a GT and two GTS's) including a race car I welded a custom CSC roll cage into. I've torn apart every part of these cars now.
So hopefully some of my knowledge will help others out while I learn more from y'all too.
Dentman

·
2zz
566 Posts
I've been a RWD Celica racer guy for the last 20 years.
I made a post or two last fall looking for information about the 7th gen cars. Now I have 3 of these FWD Celicas (a GT and two GTS's) including a race car I welded a custom CSC roll cage into. I've torn apart every part of these cars now.
So hopefully some of my knowledge will help others out while I learn more from y'all too.
Dentman
Nice u should make a rider's ride

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,310 Posts
IE is a Ground point.

You will find the electrical schematics in the stickies of the Electrical section of the forum.

DLC3 is the OBD2 connector.

IH2 and IF4 are connected to each other. If you measure continuity between DLC3-13 and C6-19, then there is no need to check IH2/IF4. Check for continuity between Ground and DLC3-4. If so, then J/C J3 & IE are fine.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
I'm late to the party and I'm no electrotech. I have a tendency to side with the "bad airbag computer" being he possibility. While I haven't had issues with the SRS system on my car, I've had with the body ECU and after spending a lot of time diagnosing all subsystems and not getting anywhere I decided to buy a used body ECU for $75 and swap it in. Presto!

I'd say it's worth the time you would normally invest into diagnostics to just get an airbag computer if you can get a used one for cheap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts