NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT with 147,xxx miles and my car is making a noise under the hood. Its not loud but its noticeable.
I hear it in neutral but when I press the clutch in, it goes away.
So I am figuring that its the pilot bearing or just my clutch is going bad. I need help with that if anyone knows.
But I was just thinking maybe my fluid is low.. Since this is my first manual car, I did not know they did not have a dipstick. I would have to go under the car and find the filler and drain plugs and remove the top one(filler plug) and stick my finger in and see if i feel oil. I am going to do that later but I was browsing to see what type of transmission fluid I use and every where I would look it says to use Redlin 75w90 Gear Oil. Now I just need some advice with this. Do I fill my transmission with the Redline or is it an additive. And will it harm my transmission?

·
Registered
83 Posts
if the noise goes away when you have the clutch pushed in I would suspect its the throw out bearing.

·
DA General of the ARMY
6,943 Posts
mod?? any mod here??

hey man welcome to the forum! sounds like the bearing. might as well change your clutch since your gonna be in there.

also make a readers ride thread so we can see your car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if the noise goes away when you have the clutch pushed in I would suspect its the throw out bearing.
Yeah I was thinking that it was a throw out bearing too but I dont have the time and money right at this moment. I can have it by next week but what are some of the damages that can happen in the mean time?

And no DOJAGUY I have no engine mods, only exterior right now. Just got the car a month ago from an old couple. And yes I am planning to change out my clutch to. Would You know if I would have to remove the transmission from my car to replace the clutch? Some cars are able to remove the plate and do it from right under the car. And one last thing what is a "riders ride thread"? I will make one as soon as I find the link lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like a throw out bearing, but if it only makes the noise while the clutch is engaged and disappears when the clutch is disengaged, it also could be the input shaft bearing in the transmission.

So since no one else has asked yet, what kind of noise is it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
You don't have to use redline. Mobil 1's synthetic gear oil is what I use and I'm sure I could more than 15k without changing it (I change it anyway).

·
Registered
149 Posts
You have to remove the transmission to change the clutch. Redline is a gear oil for manual transmissions. You can use mobile 1 or I use royal purple max gear.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
MT90. Use it. Also to whoever said they change it every 15,000 miles, what the fuck are you doing? That is horribly unnecessary.

Also, OP it is most likely your throwout bearing. I have the same problem but haven't gotten around to replacing it. It is like $40 from Toyota for just the bearing.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You don't have to use redline. Mobil 1's synthetic gear oil is what I use and I'm sure I could more than 15k without changing it (I change it anyway).
Take that garbage out asap it killed my synchros.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
You probably killed your own synchros.

Rule of thumb is to change trans oil every 15k.
That sounds way off. At 15k miles, it will still look new. I changed my manual trans fluid at 30k miles, and it looked brand new. I wouldn't have changed it if I knew that ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure it's 30k for manual trans, 60k for automatic trans. That's the interval I have been going by for a long time.

To back that up: http://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-14

·
Registered
138 Posts
That sounds way off. At 15k miles, it will still look new. I changed my manual trans fluid at 30k miles, and it looked brand new. I wouldn't have changed it if I knew that ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure it's 30k for manual trans, 60k for automatic trans. That's the interval I have been going by for a long time.

To back that up: http://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-14
Correct. Per the scheduled maintenance manual, 30k for manual, 60k for auto.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals

Select vehicle, download manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All this is great info!! Thank Yall!!

Sounds like a throw out bearing, but if it only makes the noise while the clutch is engaged and disappears when the clutch is disengaged, it also could be the input shaft bearing in the transmission.

I was thinking it was the throw out bearing too. But to verify, when you mean when clutch is in engaged, is that when its not pushed in right? Sorry if its a dumb question.

And another question, I thought it was making the noise because it didnt have enought fluid so I removed the fill hole bolt and it started pouring out alot! So I jacked the front end of my car so I can fill it back up with the same amount that came out and it still flowed out. My question is, how in the hell did they fill this up so much with out it flowing out in the filling process. This is my first manual transmission so I know I have to fill it in this hole. any tips, advice, or video on how to do this exactly?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, OP it is most likely your throwout bearing. I have the same problem but haven't gotten around to replacing it. It is like $40 from Toyota for just the bearing.
You might as well pay for a new clutch while you are in the process.. You dont want them to open it up for $470-$800 Just to change out a $40 bearing.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I removed the fill hole bolt and it started pouring out alot! So I jacked the front end of my car so I can fill it back up with the same amount that came out and it still flowed out. My question is, how in the hell did they fill this up so much with out it flowing out in the filling process. This is my first manual transmission so I know I have to fill it in this hole. any tips, advice, or video on how to do this exactly?!
Which plug did you remove? One is for filling, other is for draining. With the car level, the fluid should be at the bottom of the fill hole.

Noise with the clutch pedal in, but no noise when the clutch pedal out, then that's a throwout bearing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts