NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like crap. I have a 00 gts 6spd which i purchased like alittle over a month ago. For the first 2 weeks, i was driving my car very well. 1-2nd gear was awesome. I would hear a chirp everytime i shifted. However around around 2 weeks ago, i started to have problems with shifting 1-2nd. I would hit a wall and could not shift in to gear. I posted a thread and few people told me to take it slow at first and get used to the shifting of the celica b/c it alittle different to 5spd's. So the first week i took my time and slowly started to learn how to shift in to 2nd without hitting the wall. 2nd week, i started to shift alittle bit faster and faster. This week, i decided to go all out and try to shift as fast as i could. I take it up to 8300 and SHIFT..... GRRRRRR..... i grind the hell out of 2nd. i'm like wtf! ok, let me try it again..... 1st.. rev it up to 8300... SHIFT.... GRRRR.... WTF!!!! how about 2nd to 3rd. I put it in to 2nd..... rev up to 8300..... SHIFT..... GRRRRR...... AHHHHHHH!!!!! MY CAR!!!!!! My timeing has all been messed up!!! I cant shift correctly anymore. And on those rare occasions wheren i acutally do get it in to gear, my wheels dont chirp like they used to before. I'm so upset. You guys can now put me down as one of those kids who cant drive :wtc: by the way, how bad is griding gears for your car....b/c thats all what i'll be doing from now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
"Chirping" when you shift doesn't mean jack...

That said, how do you know your car isn't broken. An '00 GTS might have blown synchro's and now that you are driving hard you might just be seeing it.

Get the car going at 45 mph, put it in neutral and let the clutch out. Let the revs drop to idle while coasting (1000 rpm or so). Now, put the clutch in and try to shift to 2nd gear (like a normal shift).

If it goes right into 2nd gear, then your driving is suspect as you are guessing, if it grinds horribly then you need a new/rebuilt tranny.

If it's just a little rough, then you need to change the transmission fluid and hope for the best.

Scott

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
autxr said:
"Chirping" when you shift doesn't mean jack...

That said, how do you know your car isn't broken. An '00 GTS might have blown synchro's and now that you are driving hard you might just be seeing it.

Get the car going at 45 mph, put it in neutral and let the clutch out. Let the revs drop to idle while coasting (1000 rpm or so). Now, put the clutch in and try to shift to 2nd gear (like a normal shift).

If it goes right into 2nd gear, then your driving is suspect as you are guessing, if it grinds horribly then you need a new/rebuilt tranny.

If it's just a little rough, then you need to change the transmission fluid and hope for the best.

Scott
I will give that a try. However i'm at work right now, so i could not tell you the results right away. But, if this is of any relevance, i do at times downshift to 2nd when going around 35mph and its alot harder to get the shifter in to place compared to when the car is at a hault (this is when the clutch is all the way down in both cases) When i say harder i mean it takes more force. Sometimes it feels that its kinda stuck and you gotta pull it down in to place. If i need a new/rebuilt tranny would toyota's certified warrenty cover it? if its an transmission fluid change, which brand would you recommend? Thanks again

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Chirping means nothing. It has no gain/advantage technically. Tho, my best times have been done by doing so but either way. Less chirp = better traction = faster.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Originally posted by Tuppuguy
I will give that a try. However i'm at work right now, so i could not tell you the results right away. But, if this is of any relevance, i do at times downshift to 2nd when going around 35mph and its alot harder to get the shifter in to place compared to when the car is at a hault (this is when the clutch is all the way down in both cases) When i say harder i mean it takes more force. Sometimes it feels that its kinda stuck and you gotta pull it down in to place. If i need a new/rebuilt tranny would toyota's certified warrenty cover it? if its an transmission fluid change, which brand would you recommend? Thanks again

Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline. Your warranty would probably cover it, but you might need to fight for it/read the fine print/authorize a tear down at your expense, etc.

When my second gear synchro went I used some connections and got a *new* 6 speed for $1200.

Scott

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
Chirping means nothing. It has no gain/advantage technically. Tho, my best times have been done by doing so but either way. Less chirp = better traction = faster.
you do represent a good point. However, i always feel that when i hear that chirp, i'm shifting faster. I'm most likely wrong.

I'm hopeing that if anything its the transmission fluid. I really would hate it if i had to replace my tranny. Celicas are so high maintence :(

·
Registered
659 Posts
i don't know if this'll help you or not, but for the 1-2 shift, make sure you wrap your fingers around 12 o'clock of the knob (imagine cupping your palm and then turning the palm towards the ground) and pull STRAIGHT DOWN.

i used to grab the knob from the right side for the 1-2 shift, and whenever i shifted i would touch the reverse gate, which unknowingly slowed my shift down. and since i was already letting go of the clutch in anticipation for a quick shift, it caused a grind.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Tuppuguy said:
you do represent a good point. However, i always feel that when i hear that chirp, i'm shifting faster. I'm most likely wrong.

I'm hopeing that if anything its the transmission fluid. I really would hate it if i had to replace my tranny. Celicas are so high maintence :(
no, your foot timing is just bad.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by TaeMachine
no, your foot timing is just bad.
Not really. The chrip comes from the car being at a decent power point in the powerband with a fast release of the clutch.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ok ok. So this is what i'll do. I'll first try going 45mph and try downshifting to 2nd. If this works, then i'll try grabbing the shifter on the top and try shifting fast into 2nd. Hopefully this will work. i'll change my transmission fluid just to be safe. I'm also trying to take out a broken lift bolt today and am going to clean my MAFS hopefully. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
look. I dont care how fast you shift. If it grinds. There is something broke. Take it to the dealer. Warranty.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. the 45mph test where i down shift to 2nd is fine. There is no grind there. I tried grabbing the top instead of the side of the shifter and it seemed to work ok. I didnt shift fast but it seems to go in to gear better. My friend drove my car and shifted fast, but for him there wasnt much of a problem, so i'm thinking that its just me who's not shifting right. I'm probally releasing the clutch too fast before i get the shifter in to place. I'll practice and see what happens. If it keeps grinding, i'll take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
the only problem is your shifting. like everyone else said, you are hitting the reverse gate. the way i shift, i just make sure to pull it to the right instead of the left. you are most likely pulling it towards yourself and thinking you are hitting 2nd when you are hitting the reverse gate.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ugly Pete said:
the only problem is your shifting. like everyone else said, you are hitting the reverse gate. the way i shift, i just make sure to pull it to the right instead of the left. you are most likely pulling it towards yourself and thinking you are hitting 2nd when you are hitting the reverse gate.
You are correct. I was hitting the reverse gate at first. However, now my timeing is off. I dont hit the reverse gate anymore :) however i am having problems with releasing the clutch before i can get the shifter in to gear. I'm currently working on my shifting. Its definatelly getting better, but i'm still not chirping my tires like i used to. Hopefully, i'll get better with practice :) Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Don't shift fast until you can shift smoothly.

If your passenger's head is bouncing around like crazy, you are not doing it right.

john

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Butt Dyno
Don't shift fast until you can shift smoothly.

If your passenger's head is bouncing around like crazy, you are not doing it right.

john
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts