NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other night my friends and i were heading home from the bar... we were racing home and i was in third gear... i was high in the rpms (around 7000 or so) and i went to shift to 4th... i accidentally threw it into 2nd... it was there for less than a second cause i hit the clutch almost right away... but now my car is knocking really really bad... i was still able to drive it home... today i opened up my valve cover and checked my lift bolts... one was broken and i cant find the broken piece... is that whats making my car sound horrible or did i bend my valves or something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would losing compression cause a drastic loss of power? cause it didnt feel too bad, just really bad noises coming from the motor...

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
That lift bolt is shot. But that wouldn't cause the knocking, hope that the end that broke off isnt flying around the head. Like said before, get a compression check done. Also you might have to take it to toyota and pay for a inspection. good luck..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
has anyone taken there car to toyota for a problem like this? how much do you guys think it will cost to get fixed? i just came back from vacation and my bank account is kinda low...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
knock knock..whos there...DETONATION!!!!! lol jk...how does the knock sound like? if its a hollow noise that gets louder worse when revving then its ur bearings, id change them immediately to prevent a thrown rod

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes it does get worse when i rev the engine... when i was driving it home i noticed that when i get off the gas i could barely hear the knocking... so you think its my bearings? how much would it cost to replace? would i be able to do it myself? if i take it to a shop, should i drive it or tow it? toyota or local shop? so many questions... but would really appreciate it if you guys can help answer some of these for me...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
2000silverGTS said:
yes it does get worse when i rev the engine... when i was driving it home i noticed that when i get off the gas i could barely hear the knocking... so you think its my bearings? how much would it cost to replace? would i be able to do it myself? if i take it to a shop, should i drive it or tow it? toyota or local shop? so many questions... but would really appreciate it if you guys can help answer some of these for me...
If it isnt something you can do yourself in the driveway, I would TOW it to a shop. Better off safe than sorry. For the time being, carpool because the longer you drive on it, the worse it will get. Toyota will probably cost the most. Ask around, and call around to other shops and ask how much for an inspection. They won't tell you how much for the actual job until they inspect it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
2000silverGTS said:
a do it urselfer is like 80 bucks plus 20 for new oil and filter so 100 dollars all together plus 4-6 hours of your time

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you misshifted...your motor is shot, what hasnt broken now, will soon. your head might be salvagable, the block, crank, rods, and pistons, might be ok. but id get a new oil pump just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
A bad knock with no noticeable loss of power is probably spun rod bearings. Say goodbye to the bottom end of your engine.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
2000silverGTS said:
has anyone taken there car to toyota for a problem like this? how much do you guys think it will cost to get fixed? i just came back from vacation and my bank account is kinda low...
I did. Same thing, only it was off of the 2000 rev limiter, not just 7000RPM.
$6400 (mine, not yours) From you description, sounds like a spun bearing. It won't be as bad.

dB

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I did the same thing as well. Broke a lift bolt, blew the oil pump, scuffed the bearings up and broke a big lobe off a cam. Matt from MWR just dropped in a new/used motor with 20k and sent me on my way. 2200 for the motor and a 1000 for the install

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow so if you mis-shift like 2k rpm over you basically have to replace over $1000 worth of stuff?! thats rediculous

1 - 20 of 32 Posts