NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to having a buddy drive the car around as I sat in the trunk. The list is not fully comprehensive, so feel free to chime in. After 15 years the car tends to get pretty squeaky and noisy in the rear, especially at cold temps.

In order of weighted probability + annoyance:

HUGE Rattle, medium to low pitch. Spare tire cover warps or something under heat. Easily diagnosed by tapping hard near edges. Cheap Solution: Felt along the edges until it's muffled.

Light, annoying fast rattles. Medium to high pitch. Easily diagnosed by tapping license plate frame. License plate vibrates against the frame/trunk. Solution: Felt or paper wedged in between.

Light, annoying fast rattles. Medium to high pitch. For some odd reason the interior lining creates a vibration against the roof frame. Replicate by tapping up into the lining. Solution: wedge more of that felt in there :p. Peel it back carefully and slide it in.

Loud, annoying thunks. Check to see if screws are coming loose, this way the hatch doesn't bounce around cuz it's not secured properly.

Never had this problem, but some people reported squeaks. It's known as the bumpstop, cushion, hatch stop, etc for the hatchback, part number is 67293-20030. It does get deformed over time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just replaced those little deformed bump stops last week and it made a huge difference! I've also heard that putting a strip of the non-bristly side of velcro on the left and right inner panels where the package tray(whatever it's called) touches it will cut down on some noise too, haven't done this yet. Another rattle spot is the license plate itself, from the factory there are foam pads behind it, but body shops never put them back so the plate rattles against the panel. Any old peel and stick foam tape should work for this.

·
Awesome... ish
76 Posts
I second that rusty mattress one. Ever since I reassembled the back plastics and put dampening in, sounds like a rusty mattress over every bump. Could be coincidence or I could have put it together wrong...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the rusty mattress sound and replacing the bump stops took care of that. The top bump stop is plastic and the bottom one is rubber, or was rubber. I guess once the rubber hardened up it got squeaky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts