NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If an engine is misshifted and is rebuilt by the dealer, is there any problems that can occur later on? I mean, being rebuilt by the dealer practically a new engine (also a rebuilt tranny) is any different than a used/new non-misshifted engine? I need to know cause it sounds okay ... my friend has a GTS that he misshifted a while back, had it fixed under warranty and it runs good, but most of the celicas im looking into buying have misshift history. If there's no problem, it won't bother me from buying the car. Right now, it doesn't bother me at all as long as it's been built perfect.

Is there any way to TELL if there's something wrong with the rebuilt engine and tranny? I don't want to end up with a used car that has a crapload of problems. That is one mistake i cannot afford to make right now. Thanks

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Rebuilds dont always end up half as good as the oriiginal. BUT toyota will warranty the new engine if it is faulty.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
There's a 50/50 chance that the rebuild will go OK. More than a few people here have had problems with Toyota-rebuilt engines and trannies. :thumbdown

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh ..hm not the news i wanted to hear. you say that they will warranty the engine if it's faulty.. like if they built it wrong or something. Well if i buy this car, it's gonna only have a couple months of warranty left cause it's a 2000... Well, the engine and tranny was rebuilt at 39k cause of a misshift on the freeway.. and now it's at about 49k. Also, there was a timing belt jump (i dont' know what that is..i don't think too serious) and so they rebuilt the head and brand new short block. I don't know what that means so someone help me out please. Other than that, it looks good.. clean title and lowered on Goldlines.. i think i might change those. Um.. that's all.

Also, if i do decide to look at the car, is there any checkups that you guys recommend that i do? I called a dealership and asked them as well. They can do a 27 point check up for free under the warranty. But inorder to check the rebuilt engine, they need to do a compression test and he said everything.. if i do the compression testing, suspesions and stuff, it'll cost a couple hundred... So someone give me advice please. Thanks how does the car sound in general?

One more thing! .. is there a way to check for tranny problems or grinds? I might if i just drive it, will i be able to pick up on the grinds? The tranny was rebuilt as well.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Superstuddc27
oh ..hm not the news i wanted to hear. you say that they will warranty the engine if it's faulty.. like if they built it wrong or something. Well if i buy this car, it's gonna only have a couple months of warranty left cause it's a 2000... Well, the engine and tranny was rebuilt at 39k cause of a misshift on the freeway.. and now it's at about 49k. Also, there was a timing belt jump (i dont' know what that is..i don't think too serious) and so they rebuilt the head and brand new short block. I don't know what that means so someone help me out please. Other than that, it looks good.. clean title and lowered on Goldlines.. i think i might change those. Um.. that's all.

Also, if i do decide to look at the car, is there any checkups that you guys recommend that i do? I called a dealership and asked them as well. They can do a 27 point check up for free under the warranty. But inorder to check the rebuilt engine, they need to do a compression test and he said everything.. if i do the compression testing, suspesions and stuff, it'll cost a couple hundred... So someone give me advice please. Thanks how does the car sound in general?

One more thing! .. is there a way to check for tranny problems or grinds? I might if i just drive it, will i be able to pick up on the grinds? The tranny was rebuilt as well.

Workmanship has its own warranty. Also, my friend had hsi engine rebuilt 4 times before it finally worked right. 00 GT.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
man ... is ther any way i can possibility check for problems on the engine and tranny rebuild? The only way i know of is to get a compression check up and a leak drip or whatever. And also downshift and upshift in all gears and check for grinds. That's it... i guess when i check the car, if it passes all that i'll buy it. Anyone got advice before i purchase?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
i just had my short block & valve train replaced. didn't want to worry about complications with rebuilds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To tell u from experience, depending on the mechanic working on ur **** , it is possible for it to mess up , cause i had my engine replaced 3 times b4 they can get it right , and it was from the same problem mishifting. but keep sending it to the dealer cause if they mess up four times on your car you can get a brand new one for free according to the lemon law.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by GeNuInEVeLoCiTy
To tell u from experience, depending on the mechanic working on ur **** , it is possible for it to mess up , cause i had my engine replaced 3 times b4 they can get it right , and it was from the same problem mishifting. but keep sending it to the dealer cause if they mess up four times on your car you can get a brand new one for free according to the lemon law.
Lemme clarify what Luis meant about the same problem all 3 times being a mis-shift.

He didnt mis-shift 3 times. Only once. It just took 3 week long repairs to get it right.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by GeNuInEVeLoCiTy
yea thats right and had to replace my engine 3 times just for one problem i did once
Honda service > Toyota Service

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh okay. But i still need to know how you can actually KNOW that the engine is okay!! Like i said, i'll do a compression test to see if it meets the factory specs.. (that's what the service guy at Toyota recommended i do when i called him about the engine) .. but is there a possibility it might not work? Also, a leak drip test i think that's what it's called.

Plus, it was rebuilt at 39k and it's at 49k right now... 10k without any problem i think so that might be a plus.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Superstuddc27
oh okay. But i still need to know how you can actually KNOW that the engine is okay!! Like i said, i'll do a compression test to see if it meets the factory specs.. (that's what the service guy at Toyota recommended i do when i called him about the engine) .. but is there a possibility it might not work? Also, a leak drip test i think that's what it's called.

Plus, it was rebuilt at 39k and it's at 49k right now... 10k without any problem i think so that might be a plus.

You should know your car well enought to tell the difference. Any funny noises or lack in performance. BTW I thought you were GOING To get a rebuild.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
oh no im talking about the car i want to buy. that's why im asking the questions... i dont want to buy a car that has a rebuilt engine but something wrong with it... that's why i want to know how i can find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
There's a 50/50 chance that the rebuild will go OK.
wow, thats totally wrong..

MOST of the builds are are just fine. Im just giving a quick count of about 30 peeps here in phoenix that mis-shifted and NOT one of the dudes that I know has had problems. Hell, i was at 75,000+ miles when I sold mine and MOST of the life of my engine was after the rebuild as well as X-evil-X, etc, etc.... Its all the mechanic. Ive seen a few isolated times on here where people have had issues but thats because the tech was obviously not use to the motor. The motor is just like every other motor except for a few extra parts in the head.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by RedNOSceli
wow, thats totally wrong..

MOST of the builds are are just fine. Im just giving a quick count of about 30 peeps here in phoenix that mis-shifted and NOT one of the dudes that I know has had problems. Hell, i was at 75,000+ miles when I sold mine and MOST of the life of my engine was after the rebuild as well as X-evil-X, etc, etc.... Its all the mechanic. Ive seen a few isolated times on here where people have had issues but thats because the tech was obviously not use to the motor. The motor is just like every other motor except for a few extra parts in the head.
50/50 chance id say is correct. Your friends got the better 50.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts