NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I was flipping through one of my last issues of Import Tuner (I'm letting my subscription run out, but anyway...). The first article is on an eclipse that is going to be in Fast and the Furious 2. I judged that car at Miami. It was a pretty cool car with a really nice paint job. But thats it. It was just a car. I judged it. It was in a national wide publication. So I flipped a few pages further. And I saw the girl that was at the same show (the one that Prinya thinks is mega-hot, oh and she is mega-hot). I got to thinking that if we didn't have to drive back up on Sunday night, I would have probably met the girl on the boat after the show.

So I got to thinking that this whole car scene thing isn't really that big. I mean how the hell did I get into the position that I am in. I'm just some dude. The guy with the eclipse is just some other dude. The hot girl is just a really mega-hot girl. It really just takes some effort to get what you want in the car scene. I think thats pretty neat. It's almost like a new form of egalitarianism. I dont know, maybe I shouldn't think so much.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Six Degrees of seperation Jake. Just remember, that Hitler was just a dude too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Jake, social equality simply does not exist. I've concluded long ago that getting ahead is based solely on looks (or image) and who's a$$ you're willing to kiss or stomp on. It has little to do with being superior at a skill or willingness to volunteer that extra mile. Look beyond because peace always has to come from within..........

·
Registered
289 Posts
One thing I know Vin Diesel won't be in 2 Fast 2 Furious. How about if we all get together and go see the movie when it comes out?

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dbzog said:
Jake, social equality simply does not exist. I've concluded long ago that getting ahead is based solely on looks (or image) and who's a$$ you're willing to kiss or stomp on. It has little to do with being superior at a skill or willingness to volunteer that extra mile. Look beyond because peace always has to come from within..........
Ok, werd.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW my comment was not supposed to be about Social equity at all, that was more of an afterthought.

I was more surprised how easy it is to get involved in this stuff. Thats it. No deeper meaning (I didn't even mean to have one).

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Social equality certainly does exist. You simply have to qualify the equity within the boundary conditions of the particular society in question. Look at the values that you say are required to "get ahead". Those are the qualities that embody main stream society. There are many societies in which the "right" qualities do, in deed, get you ahead. You really should be granularly specific when making such a sweeping statement.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Baldhead_J said:
Six Degrees of seperation Jake. Just remember, that Hitler was just a dude too.
well said

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Baldhead_J said:
Social equality certainly does exist. You simply have to qualify the equity within the boundary conditions of the particular society in question. Look at the values that you say are required to "get ahead". Those are the qualities that embody main stream society. There are many societies in which the "right" qualities do, in deed, get you ahead. You really should be granularly specific when making such a sweeping statement.
Ok and which societies would that be? The once tha tthe "Right" qualities count?

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
ringthree said:
It really just takes some effort to get what you want in the car scene. I think thats pretty neat. It's almost like a new form of egalitarianism.
yeah except for all the $ you need :) either up-front on the car, or to support the mod "habit" - but you don't see bone stock 1989 civics rolling up to meets generally. if i actually wanted to do all the stuff to my car that i'd need to "make it big" i could get my self into debt really fast :) yes to some extent you don't need $ but you can't ignore it either.

-bd

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bah, I haven't spent that much and look where I am now.

Wait. Hold-on...

Nevermind...

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
ringthree said:
Bah, I haven't spent that much and look where I am now.

Wait. Hold-on...

Nevermind...
well, a ~$22k+ car plus all the JDM gas caps and what not... would you be where you are if you had gotten an old alltrac or something?

it's all capitalisms fault!!

-bd

·
Registered
747 Posts
Baldhead_J said:
Be sure that any statement that includes 'always' or 'never' is generally false and that this statement should be taken with a granular of salt.:confused: :AF:

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Butt Dyno said:
well, a ~$22k+ car plus all the JDM gas caps and what not... would you be where you are if you had gotten an old alltrac or something?

it's all capitalisms fault!!

-bd
If I had an old Celica Alltrac I would be dusting you all day long Mr. GOT AWD. I would show you some AWD and the strongest stock block ever built.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
ringthree said:

If I had an old Celica Alltrac I would be dusting you all day long Mr. GOT AWD. I would show you some AWD and the strongest stock block ever built.
a friend of mine has an old one that still works if you want a project car :)

but stock for stock you'd be at a 150 lb, 27 hp, ~75 ft/lb disadvantage :D i didn't realize those things were so heavy...

http://autos.msn.com/vip/specifications.aspx?modelid=2755&src=vip

before this digresses into "i could buy an old impreza coupe, swap in an ej20 and the sti tranny" discussion, i'm going to leave the thread alone :)

-bd

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
dbzog said:

Be sure that any statement that includes 'always' or 'never' is generally false and that this statement should be taken with a granular of salt.:confused: :AF:
A granular of salt? That made about as much sense your initial statement that lead us here. Please feel free to take my initial response to your ridiculous post with a measure of circumpsection. However, it's clear (1) that you have no desire to have any sort of real discussion regarding the erroneous statement and (2) that you would rather disparraige then rebutt. I can't see a productive outcome to an exchange, such as the one you are pursuing thus, I am done with you and this thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts