NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for they new members who are considering lowering their car.
Please use this as a guide to what set-up is right for you rather than making a new thread that has been covered several times.
<font color="red">For further info USE THE SEARCH. It works very well</font>
Spring rates found here:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232289

Know that everytime you lower a car the ride comfort will gradually decline ( with certain exceptions ).
Below is a list that ranges from basic drops to hard core static set -ups

<font color="blue">COMMON BASIC DROPS</font>
This will lower the car no more than 1.5 inches and give you the "best ride" for just springs.
While there are more companies than this these seem to be the most popular.

- TRD springs (~1 inch around)
- Tein S Techs (~1.4 inches around)
- Tein H Techs (~1 inch around)
- Tanabe GF210 (~1.5 inches around)

<font color="blue">MODERATE DROPS</font>
This will lower the car more than 1.5 inches and give you the "best drop" for just springs.
- Megan Racing (~2.5 inches around)
- Tanabe DF210(~2.5 inches around)
- Skunk 2 springs (~2.0 - 2.5 inches around)
- Skunk 2 coil sleeves (as low as 3.0 - 3.5 inches)
- Ground Control Coil Sleeves (as low as 3.5 inches)

These are more popular to do shocks at the same time because the drop is known to blow the OE strut very quickly. KYB and Tokiko offer great alternatives to OE set-ups. Not many companies offer adjustable dampening for aftermarket struts anymore. KYB did for a while though.
For these more aggressive drops you may want to consider shorter or adjustable sway bar endlinks, A few companies like BC racing will include these with their coilovers

<font color="blue">COILOVERS</font>
This is for members looking for a very aggressive drop and high performance.
Coil overs let you adjust ride height and dampening rates.
Prices vary from $350 ( for off-brands ) to several thousand dollars.
The next best mod to match these are stiffer sway bars.
Popular Companies and basic systems listed below:

TEIN BASIC
K-sport Control Pro
D2 Racing RS
BC Racing BR type

You can spend a lot of money on really nice coils but if you dont plan to autocross or race scca or hpde stick with the above.
Below is a full list of quality coilovers offered for the 7th gen bred for performance

BC racing RM series ~$1450
Tein SSP ~$1500
Ksport GT Pro ~$1970
kw suspension variant 2 ~$1750 while very nice and super high quality this doesnt come in the inverted monotube so its at the bottom of the list.

d2, megan racing and raceland all provide nice systems but none of the companies provide inverted monotubes or external oil resivoirs for our application...yet.

NOTE** for the people looking to go really low you should consider buying or making adjustable camber arms. the lower you drop the car the more the rear will want to camber. Please keep this in mind.

I have found that members who pick basic drops and plan on keeping their car for a while end up going with coilovers and going lower with the car. And Most importantly you put sh!t in you get sh!t out. If you cheap out on suspension parts expect it to ride like garbage and expect to be fixing or replacing parts sooner than if you had saved up and bought nice sh!t the first time.

·
Mr. Carbon Fiber
2,183 Posts
Great info :)

I have found that members who pick basic drops and plan on keeping their car for a while end up going with coilovers and going lower with the car.
This. If you plan on keeping your car for some time and eventually want to an aggressive drop, or undecided on how much of a drop you want, go with coilovers. No reason to spend money on shocks/springs and later coilovers.

Go big or go home!

:gap:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Should maybe mention something about getting endlinks and adjusting cambers for those looking for aggressive drop or more toward performance.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tc fronts are almost identical. The only think I see you having to do is round out the upper bolt hole on the fronts to get your camber right without upper camber plates

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Tc fronts are almost identical. The only think I see you having to do is round out the upper bolt hole on the fronts to get your camber right without upper camber plates
at least we have a guy who pulled thru and bought the tC coils from raceland. cant wait to see his findings

·
Registered
75 Posts
2k, I have to add imho, that if you indeed go lower than what this esteemed site has already stated, 1.4" approximate, that you will definitely be replacing your rear shocks frequently. If you have bad roads, frost heaves, etc, with a lower drop then for sure you will definitely be replacing your rear setup, and most likely your fronts also depending on your drop. If your roads are smooth, you could be good for a while. Coil-overs, definitely not recommended for a daily driver if you have salt and snow. Just recently replaced my entire shock/spring and insulator setup. Replaced hotchkis springs and illumina's (rears blown x2) with trd and kyb agx. The ride is much better, handling is still excellent (hotchkis sways kept! :) and basically I'm looking to lay on some epic miles on a car I just love. Just adding for the discussion and consideration.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coil-overs, definitely not recommended for a daily driver if you have salt and snow
why? they are rebuildable and cheaper on maintenance than buying new struts. they perform better and are more reliable.

that you will definitely be replacing your rear springs frequently. If you have bad roads, frost heaves, etc, with a lower drop then for sure you will definitely be replacing your rear setup, and most likely your fronts also depending on your drop
I dont believe this one bit. Nice coilovers are made to take abuse and and built for those conditions. The WRC has used coilovers for decades and they have proven to last through the harshest environments.

1.4" approximate,
Should really not be considered a drop at all. the stock ride height is high enough to jump full sized curbs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's worth adding to the original post that the rear suspension will gain camber as you drop it, and that certain drops will require buying camber links to get the alignment somewhere sane after the drop.

·
Canadian eh!
491 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts