NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
So wait. As for a drop these suck? It says 1-3" drop..
the rears go in just fine on a celica, but the fronts require a very small modification on the mounting brackets. i would say the raceland coils are only good for dropping and not track use. cheap alternatives if you want coils

·
Registered
75 Posts
2K, all; in re-reading my post I should have been much clearer in that my comments on the drop issues > than 1.4" where specific to a lowering spring and shock/strut setup. Not coilovers. Lastly, I erred in saying the springs where the issue, where in fact I meant the shocks - if you go lower than 1.4" spring drop you will be replacing your rear shocks frequently. (I've updated my original post to correct) Coilovers are definitely the preferred setup for going lower, however, the concern on coilovers still applies for the slush and salt. They are indeed rebuildable, but you'll be doing that very frequently in northern (salted roads) areas with a daily driven vehicle. Coilovers used on personal cars don't get removed/adjusted/cleaned and replaced/rebuilt after each drive. Over time, the salt just simply eats them up. Worn Seals, seized collar plates, etc make them a really high maintenance option for northern climates if the car is used daily throughout the year. If you're in a southern climate then you should be fine and they are indeed a great option. Apologies for any confusion. :)

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
if you go lower than 1.4" spring drop you will be replacing your rear shocks frequently
right which is why coils are a great alternative.

the concern on coilovers still applies for the slush and salt
most of the new coilovers come with coatings to prevent this. I know k-sport and bc racing both have very nice exterior finishes that are scratch resistant and weather proof. Then again. Just like with anything it all comes down to maintenance. If you keep up with cleaning the **** off your car regularly it wont be a problem for coils or struts. there are plenty of northern cars that are in great shape because they are taken care of.

First post updated with more info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've offered my inputs as the original owner of my 2k GT, run as my daily car from new. All four seasons, in Northeast winters. 200K km. I've gone from stock, to TRD with Tokico's, to Hotchkis TVS system and now back to TRD with AGX. Speed Shops, owners and repair facilities would all vouch for this position in this region. Humbly, if you live in southern climes then you really do not know how indeed vicious the salt and rust can attack, no matter how good the coatings or advertisements. For those that live in the snow belt, they will absolutely understand these challenges. If it is a show car, or a summer car, then definitely not an issue. I stand by my comments and shared with the intent to provide as much information for all region owners as possible. If you live in the snow belt, depend on your car for daily transport and want coilovers, then by all means buy them and enjoy them. Just have your eyes open with possible downsides. Appreciate all of the effort which has gone into collecting this information also. Best to all in your search for the perfect setup. :)

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Very smart system. Not sure how well it sells though.

gordon, You have valid info any input is aprreciated and you did a good job of defending your position. At the point you're describing most people will buy a beater or do what they can to keep it clean. I live at the beach. I've seen how bad salt destroys cars. I've owned northern cars. I personally think it all comes down to how much you clean it, I'd be washing the underbody of my car off every night. But thats just me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2k, thank you for your comments and absolutely all the work putting this thread together. :applaud: Best to all, back to lurk mode. :) (LOVE these cars :) )

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
^thanks.
It seems to be helping a little bit. the info is out there you just have to look. It took all bit of 60 minutes to find all this info on this site and the web. Searching isnt that hard people are just becoming much more lazy.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
^yes but you have to cut the perches. I'll find a thread and add it to the OP.
The skunk2's work with them for a bit but they get blown really easily because the cylinder is so compressed and the stroke is minimal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks ...do you reccomend just goin for springs then i just dont want to go through the trouble of changing tha shocks and struts and its my daily driver

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
honestly save up and buy some inexpensive coils. You'll love them so much more. plus price wise its really not that much different. I'm gonna add expected prices to pay to the top soon

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.