NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAC Valve Replacement

31K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  steve7680768 
#1 ·
Finally got to replace the IAC on a friend's car, and the car idles perfectly now. Before, his car would rev from 1000-2000 RPM. It got progressively worse, and started to rev from 1000-4000. It even revved up once all the way to 6000 and held there until he pushed the gas. :eek:

The install itself isn't really hard, just a bit tricky due to the coolant hoses, and the tight space to work in. I would definitely advise doing it when the car is cold, since coolant will come out no matter what you do.

Install in PDF format (270k zipped) for easy printing

GT-S IAC and gasket (not sure if GT's is the same):

Tools For Method A:
Vise grips (2)
Small socket wrench with philips head bit

Tools for Method B:
Socket wrench with 12mm socket
Philips head screwdriver
Pliers

IAC valve itself:

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
I have a similar problem after I recharged up my A/C, it will run a few seconds and kick out, the tack is bouncing up and down. But it does not do this when the A/C is off. Is this the same kind of problem? Or could it be kicking off on High pressure? (that I doubt)

Ignore this, I posted this on the wrong thread....... :hide:

#10 ·
obtw..it's not as easy to remove the 3 phillips screws then u might think...might want to look into a screws distractor of some kind..because the head of the screws will get shears and u won't be able to remove them...how do i know this?? i help my friend did this and it's a b*itch to get them out..

#11 ·
jeetee-ess said:
how much is that in US? do we really need to replace the IAC unit or can we just do the rubber gasket? and how much is JUST the gasket?
$371 USD

You can get a cheaper one from autozone, about $221 USD.

#12 ·
Or you guys can do what I did....Go to the dealership you go too or if you know someone that works at one and have them get the part for you. I worked at a chevy dealer and bought a new one from toyota for 180...Although I didn't pay nothing but cost dealership got nothing but I'm good buddies with the manager in the parts area.

#14 · (Edited)
question said:
BB-will the engine check light appear if the IACV is malfunctioning?? i get it only when idling the car in traffic. .
blue? i wonder if that would a CEL as well.

also lets say after replacing the this valve, what would you recommend on cleaning intervals? since its brandnew can spraying every other oil change keep it clean or would you recommend taking it off everytime?

#21 ·
What screwdriver do I need to unscrew the screws that hold the sensor part of the IAC? You can see it in the pictures, it's not the Phillips head screws, but the other one. It's some kind of star shaped head but none of the TORX screwdrivers work. HELP!

#25 ·
word of advise to all
i had to drill all of the screws out with extractors. The 3 phillips heads can be replaced by socket end nuts.

The correct size for me was
M5X20millimeters
as for the star ones that hold the plastic plug for a connector to go in i cant remember but i think they are m4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.