NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called summit racing to order a hi flow cat. and the rep told me he could not sell me one becouse the car is not five yrs old yet.
Why? Is there something I do not know about? I explained that there is no emission laws in the V.I he still refused to sell me one.

So if any could tell me where to order one (catco) and even a part # it will be greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
celica alreaddy has a high flow cat...but if u'd like another one feel free.

um...can't u just order it online?

John

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by J5ISALIVE
celica alreaddy has a high flow cat...but if u'd like another one feel free.

um...can't u just order it online?

John

highe flow cat by legal standards I would think. Im sure it can be made of higher flowing capability.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
lol high flow cat by legal standards...LOL

the whole point of a cat is for legal standards. no matter what a cat is gonna be going by legal standards...so there for you want higher flow cut it off replace with a strait pipe.

John

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by J5ISALIVE
lol high flow cat by legal standards...LOL

the whole point of a cat is for legal standards. no matter what a cat is gonna be going by legal standards...so there for you want higher flow cut it off replace with a strait pipe.

John
Ok. But a cat restricts exhaust gases correct? to meet emissions correct?

I ask/say this because my friend in his RSX failed emissions due to a high flow cat. which according to the garage was "too high flow".

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:moved:

It depends on how efficient the cat is. Some control emissions as well as the stock cat while flowing more exhaust gas (though not much more at all), while others are only for off road/racing use since they're not as efficient, and still flow the same. You have to look for cats that are OBD II compliant. CARB approval is usually a good thing, too, since that means it should have a better chance of passing emissions testing as a replacement cat.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
heck he's just being _____ and following CA standards. you live in the Virgin Islands...near the ocean right that blows away smog??? I don't know why you guys would care much about emissions there.

you probably just have a CAT in the first place because it came on the car not that you guys need it there (duh me lol)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally posted by patrickvi
I called summit racing to order a hi flow cat. and the rep told me he could not sell me one becouse the car is not five yrs old yet.
Why? Is there something I do not know about? I explained that there is no emission laws in the V.I he still refused to sell me one.

So if any could tell me where to order one (catco) and even a part # it will be greatly appreciate.
I would also be interested to know the answer to this, I order from summit as well, I can't imagine them "refusing" to sell me something!

anybody know why the sales rep would refuse to sell one to him?
what's this 5 year deal?

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
Liqquid said:
I would also be interested to know the answer to this, I order from summit as well, I can't imagine them "refusing" to sell me something!

anybody know why the sales rep would refuse to sell one to him?
what's this 5 year deal?
In some states it is illegal to replace a catalytic converter on a new car for X years or until X number of miles are on the car. I think it's like 100k miles and then you can replace it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally posted by kaioshin
In some states it is illegal to replace a catalytic converter on a new car for X years or until X number of miles are on the car. I think it's like 100k miles and then you can replace it.
hmm... that would also be why there is such a long warranty on the emission systems on new cars as opposed to things that people actually want warrantied lol.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^^ yep.

also that x miles x years emission law is not enforced. It's easy to buy a high flow cat put it on your car and pass smog. Someone I know very well did that in CA lol.

It depends on where you smog of course, and I'm not talking about the places where you have to pay people off. Some just are a little more lax.

At a moderately-anal place:
Smog guy says: hmmm that cat looks kinda shiny and new.
You say: yeah I destroyed my original one going over something...disadvantage of a lowered car.
Smog guy: Ok.

I heard this from a guy who's half-white and half- Mexican and he told me that if you go to some of those Mexican smog places in LA they'll pass you with an illegal intake no extra charge, so I don't think they would care about a new-looking cat lol. He said don't go to the white guys' smog station as they are anal as hell.

If you don't even want to be asked, just smear your new cat with oil and grease.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just so everyone knows, it's not a state law....it's a federal law.

Also, don't smear your cat with oil and grease unless you want to watch your car burn to the ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts