NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this article on latimes.com. You have to register to view it (http://www.latimes.com/classified/a...s1sep01,1,5673272.story?coll=la-home-highway1). Although this seems to be a problem with Camrys so far, I was wondering if any Celi owners have experienced anything similar?

Here's the story:
Valve problem on '99 Camrys has plenty of suspects

Buildup in the throttle body can affect the mechanism, and Toyota points to bad gasoline as the cause. But there's really no easy answer.

By Ralph Vartabedian, Times Staff Writer

Modern engines contain dozens of sensors and controllers, most of which behave well over the life of the vehicle and never have to be replaced.

But every once in a while there's a bad apple that can cause plenty of headaches

·
Registered
569 Posts
how stupid is posting camry issue on Celica forms? There are probably hundreds of little problems or things to go wrong with different non-celica Toyota's, should we post all of them here?

Especially since this seems like very much bad fuel problem as US fuel can be really dirty due to old fuel laws.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xspwolf said:
how stupid is posting camry issue on Celica forms? There are probably hundreds of little problems or things to go wrong with different non-celica Toyota's, should we post all of them here?

Especially since this seems like very much bad fuel problem as US fuel can be really dirty due to old fuel laws.
Umm, last time I checked, there are non-Celi related posts about all kinds of cars in General Discussion, even (gasp!) cars that aren't even Toyotas (WRXs, RSXs, 350Zs, etc.). Why get your panties up in a twist about it?:rolleyes:

In any case, it is slightly Celi-related, since some here through the years have noticed their Celi's idle being a bit erratic at times.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
And the solution: install an oil catch can on the PCV hose! :) What's causing all the buildup on the throttle body and IAC are the gas and oil vapors that are recirculated through the throttle PCV system (plumbed in right before the throttle plate/IAC). If the PCV inlet were on the other side of the throttle body, this would not be a problem, but right now, all the vapors and gunk are being sucked through the IAC during idle, and dripped into it when the car is off.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So installing a oil catch can on the PCV hose will eliminate or lessen the buildup on the IAC? Where can I get one of these? Any how-to's on installing it?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by stein
So installing a oil catch can on the PCV hose will eliminate or lessen the buildup on the IAC? Where can I get one of these? Any how-to's on installing it?
Yup, they'll remove most of the gunk that comes into the engine through the PCV system. You can get a cheap one here that will work perfectly:
http://www.shmotorsport.com/item140974.ctlg

Here's a general install guide:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154696

To improve the can's efficiency, you can throw in some stainless steel scrubbers. They'll help the vapors condense faster, leading to less of them making it through to the outlet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts